Twitter: Possible explanation from a physician for Jaylon Smith's regression

plasticman

Reaction score
now, do the same on passing plays.....I said in another comment as well. he can be effective in run stopping if he hits the right hole, but in pass defense and if play gets outside he is a big liability because he has no change of direction agility or speed.......DCs will find a weakness and expose it...to death
There are plays in that list where he sacked the quarterback. There are plays in which he defended a pass successfully. There are even plays in there where he intercepted.

I'm not saying that Jaylon is elite and I don't have to in order to disagree with you. All I have to do is make an argument for him not being terrible. I think that is what I did.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Smith for me has always looked like he's running with a rock or something in his shoe. Just doesn't look for me as a smooth movement in his stride running. I don't think he'll ever be able to move the same as he did before his injury.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There are plays in that list where he sacked the quarterback. There are plays in which he defended a pass successfully. There are even plays in there where he intercepted.

I'm not saying that Jaylon is elite and I don't have to in order to disagree with you. All I have to do is make an argument for him not being terrible. I think that is what I did.
I am not saying he is terrible. I did mention he does make some plays where he is protected from his weakness. Even sacking the QB is hitting a hole, fighting through blocking, straight ahead attack.

In coverage he is a liability. In misdirections. He is a.liability. it's not about the plays he can make if In the right situation. It's about the plays he can't. It's allowing those third downs to convert and keep drives alive. DCs will attack the weakness, relentlessly.

He is not starting material at this point. He has to be off the field in passing down situations. He is special situation LB at this point.

Not his fault. It's obvious physicall limitations. And my other issue with him.is that he doesn't seem to be a student of the game....he has trouble recognizing n icing plays and diagnose them and make the right read. That comes from spending a lot of time on film study.

kazzd58

Reaction score

The head team physician for the Dallas Cowboys Football Dr. DANIEL E. COOPER, M.D. might have been too optimistic about Jaylon's prognosis. Drafting him in the 2nd round was a terrible reach. Extending him should have never been a consideration. The Cowboys really botched their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2016 draft. Ramsey and Henry was the way to go.

hindsight 20/20 it is what it is‍♂️

MaineBoy

Reaction score
To see someone take the time you did to list as many of Jaylon’s tackles that you did seemed over the top in trying to prove he is not what most of us see: a bad linebacker that has no business starting if we are going to have a good defense. But we can disagree and still hug it out. Come here, Big Guy.

I wasn't trying to prove Jaylon was a good linebacker. That would be a waste of time because I doubt we could agree on the definition of "good linebacker"

I was obviously demonstrating that the perception that Jaylon only tackles someone after finally catching up with him ten yards down the field is ridiculous. I realize it wasn't meant literally

I was not saying the poster shouldn't believe his eyes, I'm saying he shouldn't believe his memory. Most have a tendency to remember only those things that strengthen their perception. we are probably all guilty of that to some degree. Therefore, it is beneficial to go back and look at the record of actual events to get a more balanced perspective.

You claim I don't have a clue but I mentioned the fact that Jaylon was 3rd in the league in tackles and I consider that a clue, particularly when guys like Bobby Wagner, Devin White, and Darius Leonard have numbers in that vicinity.

I find it strange that the standard of proof for a player not being terrible is that I have to show he is elite. The burden of proof is not on me, it's on the person making that original statement. I only have to prove that he is not terrible. He's not as shown by his stats. I would probably place him slightly above average at this point but his health will make it more difficult.

You have a right to disagree. However, you don't have a right to insult me or make any type of personal attacks. It is rude and immature. I came here to discuss my favorite football team, not to have someone that doesn't even know me suggest that I shouldn't watch football because i disagree with someone on a petty issue.

I you are so convinced that you have a strong argument on Jaylon's abilities then you wouldn't have found a need to insult those that disagree with you.

plasticman

Reaction score
To see someone take the time you did to list as many of Jaylon’s tackles that you did seemed over the top in trying to prove he is not what most of us see: a bad linebacker that has no business starting if we are going to have a good defense. But we can disagree and still hug it out. Come here, Big Guy.
Okay....but wouldn't the fact that you just confirmed my ability to create such a list be proof that, at least, he doesn't suck?

He has regressed and I think it's because his injury effects him more as his career continues. Surgeries can repair an injury to a degree but it will never be 100%. It may also cause that part of the body to age at a quicker rate.

It's sad and I don't think he deserves the disrespect I read in this forum, although I'm not specifically referring to you. Hey, I'm a Cowboy fan and he is one of my guys so I'm going to stand up for him. He really has made a gallant effort to live his dream despite a devastating injury. I still think he's better than half the starters in this league but none of those guys are Cowboys. They are pleasantly stacked at the position. Like it or not, Jaylon is probably #4 LB on this team, perhaps even #5......fair?

GORICO

Reaction score

The head team physician for the Dallas Cowboys Football Dr. DANIEL E. COOPER, M.D. might have been too optimistic about Jaylon's prognosis. Drafting him in the 2nd round was a terrible reach. Extending him should have never been a consideration. The Cowboys really botched their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2016 draft. Ramsey and Henry was the way to go.

Jaylon suffered hurrendous injury 2016 college bowl....that nerve never fully healed and now arthritis setting in.....most likely see him getting less and less playing time as this reality has set in for the coaches?

GORICO

Reaction score
I mean if we sign LVE to a 4 year deal and they can get from under it in a few years...i'm not opposed to that.

mr rocy--- i think writing on the wall for LVE and Jaylon....i hope i am dead wrong....but as season progresses if you begin to see less and less playing time when games really count....i doubt they sign LVE to longterm contract

but maybe i am completely wrong and LVE goes STUD-MODE like his rookie year?.....that was 3 years ago...OK dont count last year because Nolan almost destroyed our defense...and injury in 2019 kept LVE limited and then

out completely...so maybe he is just getting his legs under his feet?....but Jaylon seems to have regressed and then a doctor put out statement why he believes it is common for one who endured such hurrendous injurty...now

with arthritis setting in....and that nerve that never fully healed has scar tissue.....but we will see as season progresses.....i am a bit concerned Dak has not played and will not play until game 1....you lose timing with receivers

along with flow and how fast game is....now we play the Bucs which i want to give a good ol GORICO GUARANTEE for a win...but i think the bucs will have to have a bad game for us to win...meaning untimely turnovers..penalties

etc...and i am the one who usually goes way over the top for the cowboys and gets creamed....i hope Dak does a lot of RPO's and short passes to start and then goes medium and as success increases he unleashes some bombs

i am hoping Bucs just have uncharacteristically bad game which often happens early in season with the elite teams?...dang i wrote a book....sorry bro....by the way what you think?

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Through no fault of his own, due to his injury, Jaylon does not have the physical ability to be a starting linebacker in the NFL. You need two fully functioning legs to be an effective NFL player. Apparently, he also exercises poor judgment and bad reads. Watch his videos.
He also generates hate due to his behavior and marketing antics while delivering sub par performances.

Okay....but wouldn't the fact that you just confirmed my ability to create such a list be proof that, at least, he doesn't suck?

He has regressed and I think it's because his injury effects him more as his career continues. Surgeries can repair an injury to a degree but it will never be 100%. It may also cause that part of the body to age at a quicker rate.

It's sad and I don't think he deserves the disrespect I read in this forum, although I'm not specifically referring to you. Hey, I'm a Cowboy fan and he is one of my guys so I'm going to stand up for him. He really has made a gallant effort to live his dream despite a devastating injury. I still think he's better than half the starters in this league but none of those guys are Cowboys. They are pleasantly stacked at the position. Like it or not, Jaylon is probably #4 LB on this team, perhaps even #5......fair?