Twitter: Possible explanation from a physician for Jaylon Smith's regression

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A project that may never be able to play? No, you wouldn't. I know you too well to think you'd make a foolish move such as that w/ such stalwarts as Chris Jones, Myles Jack, Xavien Howard, Michael Thomas, and Jarran Reed still on the board.

At the time, I wouldn't have, at least at the top of the second round. But having time to reflect, I thought it was a decent pick. I think the Break guys had more in on Jack. But it was a close thing.

Obviously it was a risk, but getting a 5 at 34 is getting multiples of your draft value. About 3.

The goofy thing was we went Win Now with Zeke with the 4th, then Maybe Win Later with Jaylon at 34. That's Jerry. No strategy of his own, so he just doles out some to each. Taking turns, instead of making sense.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Usually when you see reaches its either a situation where the Cowboys got tipped off that someone else wanted that player or they got some bad advice lol. I think that's what happened with Wright this year and why we took him so early....Same as Fredericks as well.
Those tip offs could be "Hey, let's float a rumor that someone's about to take Jaylon Smith so the Cowboys grab him and our man fall to us."
I would hope this isn't what happened to the Cowboys. SUCKAS!!!

dwmyers

Reaction score
Jerry loves a good reclamation story, whether it's injury like in this case or character like a Pacman or T.O.

But in the end I'm not sure it matters why Jaylon has gotten worse. All that matters is he can't play and shouldn't be on the field going forward.

I can see them playing him in situations where he's only asked to move north and south. One as an ILB in a 3-4 setup and one where he's just rushing the passer. If he's being asked to force the outside
we saw how well that worked.

D-

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the regression is more mental and positioning. Jaylon simply is not an inside LB. He tries to skirt around blockers in the middle, and that takes him out of plays so that even if he makes the tackle it's several yards downfield. Jaylon needs to exclusively be an OLB so he is less likely to have to fight through the kind of traffic that occurs in the middle.

I think one can also argue that the Cowboys made a mistake making him a MLB. It's not the first time they've had guys out of position. Byron Jones was a classic example of them wasting a year or two on trying to make him a S when in fact, he actually was a pretty good CB for us.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think one can also argue that the Cowboys made a mistake making him a MLB. It's not the first time they've had guys out of position. Byron Jones was a classic example of them wasting a year or two on trying to make him a S when in fact, he actually was a pretty good CB for us.
That's exactly my point with Jaylon. I guess I don't mind that they gave him a look in the middle, but it strikes me that they should have seen pretty quickly that he didn't have that hard nosed, crave contact, fight through blocks kind of mentality or playing style. He's more of a pursuer than an in the trenches kind of guy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Those tip offs could be "Hey, let's float a rumor that someone's about to take Jaylon Smith so the Cowboys grab him and our man fall to us."
I would hope this isn't what happened to the Cowboys. SUCKAS!!!
It very well could be that as well lol. That's how the Bears ended up trading up for Tribusky lol.

basel90

Reaction score
Wait a minute. I can understand if someone says Dallas never should have drafted him. There were plenty of people against it at the time. What I don't get is the logic people are using that are against his extension. Hindsight doesn't count.

My memory could be failing me. I thought he had a good 2018. That's usually when you extend a player you plan on keeping around, after their 3rd rookie year. So what would be the logic at that time to not extend him?
The first mistake is using a second round pick , 34th overall on a player with a devastating injury like that . Imagine the many better and safer options available that were missed .
Second , he never played great in 2018 . That defense was bad and he was borderline mediocre .
We are seeing how his injury and wear and tear has made him not even tradeable .

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I'm a broken record on this but still to this day it never made sense.

1. We go with the win now pick with Zeke in round 1.
2. We then go with the maybe he'll recover, the doctor thinks so but to be determined pick with Smith in round 2.
2b. Yes, hindsight, but look at the next 4 picks: Hunter Henry*, Myles Jack, Chris Jones(DT) and Xavien Howard.

Hunter Henry was talked about cause Witten was old, but still playing. Talented but can't stay healthy for long.
Myles Jack was the opposite of Smith, where his long term playing time was questionable but short term he was ready.
Chris Jones and Howard are known as one of the better players at their position. We went with Collins in the 3rd and the following offseason we let most of the secondary walk and took Awuzie and Lewis back to back in the 17 draft.

Sure, Jaylon Smith was a top talent, pre injury. But his pick never made sense due to the recovery time and the unknown recovery of his injury and trying to win with an injury prone Romo.
One thing to take a flier on day 3, another to take a risk at #34 on a LB clearly a year + out also when you have Sean Glass Lee.
Best post I've seen in this thread.

It was so baffling at the time because it was for Romo's win now mode. Making that final push before Tony couldn't do it anymore. I know there were rumors of the Patriots wanting him also in the 2nd round. Perhaps Jerry thought if Bill was after him it was worth the risk?

I don't agree if that was the case, just seems like a Jerry move to me.

John813

Reaction score

It was so baffling at the time because it was for Romo's win now mode. Making that final push before Tony couldn't do it anymore. I know there were rumors of the Patriots wanting him also in the 2nd round. Perhaps Jerry thought if Bill was after him it was worth the risk?

I think Bill B is one of the best coaches/GMs of all time. Sure, having Brady definitely helped but he was able to keep their defense sharp after the big name guys left and offensively he made the 2TE set deadly and found a bunch of short white recievers no one could cover. The Pats were always a threat in the postseason for almost 20 years. Just having an elite QB can't do that.
But, his drafting is overrated and he has had quite the amount of busts on both sides of the ball. Every GM will miss here and there but just saying it's not like Bill B is so much above the rest. So, even if Bill did seriously want Jaylon in round 2, to me, that would be no excuse to beat Bill to Jaylon. I agree with you that it seemed like a Jerry move as he is that wildcatter that loves to take some risks. Which would of been fine if Romo was 31, no nagging injuries and we had a linebacker duo that could handle the load while Jaylon recovered. Instead we had Lee whose body just couldn't handle the rigors of football and McClain who quickly fell back into the purp drank life.

Last edited:

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I think Bill B is one of the best coaches/GMs of all time. Sure, having Brady definitely helped but he was able to keep their defense sharp after the big name guys left and offensively he made the 2TE set deadly and found a bunch of short white recievers no one could cover. The Pats were always a threat in the postseason for almost 20 years. Just having an elite QB can't do that.
But, his drafting is overrated and he has had quite the amount of busts on both sides of the ball. Every GM will miss here and there but just saying it's not like Bill B is so much above the rest. So, even if Bill did seriously want Jaylon in round 2, to me, that would be no excuse to beat Bill to Jaylon. I agree with you that it seemed like a Jerry move as he is that wildcatter that loves to take some risks. Which would of been fine if Romo was 31, no nagging injuries and we had a linebacker duo that could handle the load while Jaylon recovered. Instead we had Lee whose body just couldn't handle the rigors of football and McClain who quickly fell back into the purp drank life.
You're absolutely correct on Bill's drafting. Most folks don't realize this and maybe I should have taken that into account when I posted.

My point was if Jerry was just so smitten with Bill that he overlooked that fact. Certainly not saying that happened or that it's a good excuse why. Just another angle that could have been remotely possible. Not the fan of college ball that I used to be, but by judging the reaction of most fans after the pick I assumed it was not a good one.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For some reason this made me chuckle, and I needed a good laugh this morning.

Well played and thanks for giving me a laugh when I needed one. Have a great day.
:laugh:

That guy man lol....he created some narrative that I thought Jaylon was a good player...never ONCE came out of my mouth lol. If he wanted to rile me up he should've aimed higher than Jaylon Smith lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
OR this doctor who has never worked with Jaylon is speculating and looking for clicks..

JS played 98% f the snaps last season far too much for any player but worse when you have no DL to protect you up front, no help around you in a bad scheme short any great players, and for sure on bad team most played like garbage last year,

not defending him but its not physical until someone actually proves this with an MRI/CT taken right now and a real ortho and radiologist breaking it down for us..

Not buying it , sure hes overrated for his pay scale BUT i believe DQ will find better role for him and have DL playing better to keep every OL from reaching the second level and RBs and QBs running full speed at :LBS and Ss.

seriously the posts here claiming they all know what wrong and basing their opinions off of that disaster of year last year and all seemingly blaming JS is phreaking JOKE..

show me the actual reports not rhetoric from a doctor speculating and giving an OPINION..

web Md can do better job....

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I could have sworn I read/heard something from Eatman or Spagnola that talked about the Cowboys having a different targeted player in the 2nd round that was taken before their pick. They tried to trade out of pick #34 but couldn’t find the right value for a trade back so they defaulted to the highest rated player on their board which was Jaylon.

Creeper

Reaction score
The doctor could be right, but it does not explain Jaylon's slow reaction to plays as they develop. Football instincts don't suffer from physical injuries.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
OR this doctor who has never worked with Jaylon is speculating and looking for clicks..

JS played 98% f the snaps last season far too much for any player but worse when you have no DL to protect you up front, no help around you in a bad scheme short any great players, and for sure on bad team most played like garbage last year,

not defending him but its not physical until someone actually proves this with an MRI/CT taken right now and a real ortho and radiologist breaking it down for us..

Not buying it , sure hes overrated for his pay scale BUT i believe DQ will find better role for him and have DL playing better to keep every OL from reaching the second level and RBs and QBs running full speed at :LBS and Ss.

seriously the posts here claiming they all know what wrong and basing their opinions off of that disaster of year last year and all seemingly blaming JS is phreaking JOKE..

show me the actual reports not rhetoric from a doctor speculating and giving an OPINION..

web Md can do better job....
Folks love blaming the scheme and bad coaching as an alibi for Jaylon’s poor play last year. What was his excuse in 2019 running the same scheme, under the same DC as he did in 2018?

plasticman

Reaction score
this is so pathetic...another “don’t believe what your eyes see, please believe some numbers instead”. If you think Jaylon is a good linebacker, or an nfl starting linebacker, you should watch soccer instead of football. Because you are clueless about what a good football player looks like if you’re trying to convince us he’s a good linebacker. You know what you can add to your numbers ? All the video clips of Jaylon blowing assignments or running himself out of plays or trying to avoid physical contact.
I wasn't trying to prove Jaylon was a good linebacker. That would be a waste of time because I doubt we could agree on the definition of "good linebacker"

I was obviously demonstrating that the perception that Jaylon only tackles someone after finally catching up with him ten yards down the field is ridiculous. I realize it wasn't meant literally

I was not saying the poster shouldn't believe his eyes, I'm saying he shouldn't believe his memory. Most have a tendency to remember only those things that strengthen their perception. we are probably all guilty of that to some degree. Therefore, it is beneficial to go back and look at the record of actual events to get a more balanced perspective.

You claim I don't have a clue but I mentioned the fact that Jaylon was 3rd in the league in tackles and I consider that a clue, particularly when guys like Bobby Wagner, Devin White, and Darius Leonard have numbers in that vicinity.

I find it strange that the standard of proof for a player not being terrible is that I have to show he is elite. The burden of proof is not on me, it's on the person making that original statement. I only have to prove that he is not terrible. He's not as shown by his stats. I would probably place him slightly above average at this point but his health will make it more difficult.

You have a right to disagree. However, you don't have a right to insult me or make any type of personal attacks. It is rude and immature. I came here to discuss my favorite football team, not to have someone that doesn't even know me suggest that I shouldn't watch football because i disagree with someone on a petty issue.

I you are so convinced that you have a strong argument on Jaylon's abilities then you wouldn't have found a need to insult those that disagree with you.