Possible offensive coordinator from playoff teams

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Hopefully they do hire a new OC. If so Let's hope he is a young up and come who understands the value of being a balanced offense.

Some of his work as Bears OC.......

On January 16, 2013, Kromer was announced as the new offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for the Chicago Bears. He joined Marc Trestman's initial coaching staff, after working with Trestman in Oakland.[4] In his first year, the Bears offense had the second-best scoring offense in the league with 445 points, behind the Denver Broncos, while finishing fifth with 4281 passing yards.[5] The offense also broke team records in total yards (6,109), passing yards (4,450), passing touchdowns (32) and first downs (344).[6] On February 12, 2014, offensive line assistant Pat Meyer was named offensive line coach while Kromer, who served as offensive coordinator and line coach in 2013, remained the offensive coordinator and continued to be involved in all aspects of the offense, including the line with an increased role with the passing game.[7]

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Did a little searching for possible Linehan replacement from each of the four playoff teams. Looking at their QB coach and/or passing/running game coordinators, I could only come up one name as a possible target AND fit. The rest are not even close......

Using two criteria of proven experience and familiarity/connection to Jerry, Jason, Stephen or coaching staff (Marinelli), Rams running-game coordinator/OL coach Aaron Kromer could very well their target. His resume is quite impressive......

2008 ....Sean Payton's RB coach then OL coach. Under his tenure the Saints OL
*2009-2012 OL coach
*sent five players to combine nine Pro Bowls
*tie for fewest sacks in the league 96
*OL twice won Madden Most Valuable Protectors Award as the best line in the league
(2009 and 2011)
2013 .....Bears offensive coordinator and OL coach
2015......Bills OL coach
2017 .....Rams OL coach .....2018 Rams OL coach/running game coordinator

Familiarity/connection box .......

Sean Payton.....we know what Jerry think of Payton
Marinelli...........His son-in-law Joe Barry is McVay's assistant head coach

Check out his resume for yourself
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Kromer

Here's a compilation of all NFL teams administration and coaches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_staffs
One major problem is that the Rams don't have to let him (or any other position coach/coordinator) go to another organization unless it's for a head coaching position. If his contract is up, then he's free to do what he wants. Otherwise, he's tied to the Rams for as long as he's under contract unless they voluntarily let him go.

lostar2009

Reaction score
JJ will take that list and burn it. To him a somewhat good Cowboys team bring him money to buy new boats.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe, but as easily as I did, it will be easy for people to dig up the skeletons of his past. I think it's a big reason why an otherwise successful coach is working as a position assistant.

He won't be the face of the team. So that should help but boy even w/o connections to Marinelli's son-in-law or Sean Payton, he'd still be a solid FIT. His experience as OL coach would be huge IMO, even mentoring Columbo.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Some other things to consider, Kromer has some serious skeletons in his closet, among them talking badly to the media about his own quarterback - Jay Cutler, and assault charges for hitting a young boy.

Oh wow, that IS serious. Yikes!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He won't be the face of the team. So that should help but boy even w/o connections to Marinelli's son-in-law or Sean Payton, he'd still be a solid FIT. His experience as OL coach would be huge IMO, even mentoring Columbo.

I agree about the qualifications for sure. It's just the baggage that I wonder about?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh wow, that IS serious. Yikes!

Yeah. It looks like both parties resolved it before it reached trial, but he was suspended 6 games for it.

And then he had to apologize to the Bears locker room for his comments about Cutler.

Two strikes and that's why I think a coach with his abilities is working at the level he is.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
The problem with the premise of this thread is that all of those guys are under contract and their respective teams have to allow them to interview for outside jobs. A coach can't make any move to another team without permission except for a HC job.

Nice try (and idea) but none of it is based in reality unless that coaches contract expires at the end of the season.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
One major problem is that the Rams don't have to let him (or any other position coach/coordinator) go to another organization unless it's for a head coaching position. If his contract is up, then he's free to do what he wants. Otherwise, he's tied to the Rams for as long as he's under contract unless they voluntarily let him go.
You beat me to it.

:thumbup:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Agree 100%.......he signed with the Rams as OL coach 2017. As a rule, position coaches usually sign 2-3 year contracts. Maybe his is expiring at end of the season but I don't know that as a fact, just speculating.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Agree 100%.......he signed with the Rams as OL coach 2017. As a rule, position coaches usually sign 2-3 year contracts. Maybe his is expiring at end of the season but I don't know that as a fact, just speculating.
Yep. There's a very good chance that he's signed through next season, at a minimum.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Using Jerry's statement regarding Linehan and OC position, it's not hard to see he has his eyes on an assistant coach from Pats, Rams, Chiefs or Saints. Otherwise there no reason to wait if he's targeting a coach from 28 non-playoff teams left. We also know how important connection and/or familiarity is to Jerry, Jason, and Stephen. Kromer is closest and frankly, the only connection from the four playoff teams left.

foofighters

Reaction score
Jason don't know any better.......plus Linehan isn't a threat to him.......a weak HC is always scared of someone that's better than they are coming on board....it impedes their comfort zone.
You couldn't sense my extreme sarcasm?

LandryFan

Reaction score
That's not to say McVay won't let him......
Very true. Sometimes coaches are allowed to move. Other times, they're not. I think it really comes down to how much an organization respects and/or values a coach. I wouldn't have a clue in this particular case, though.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

The problem with the premise of this thread is that all of those guys are under contract and their respective teams have to allow them to interview for outside jobs. A coach can't make any move to another team without permission except for a HC job.

Nice try (and idea) but none of it is based in reality unless that coaches contract expires at the end of the season.

Realistically, the Rams would give him permission to interview with us. Teams don’t generally hold a guy back when he has a chance at a promotion.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Realistically, the Rams would give him permission to interview with us. Teams don’t generally hold a guy back when he has a chance at a promotion.
I agree that it doesn't happen a lot, but it happens on occasion. Can't remember now who it was, but I'm pretty sure JJ did that to somebody two or three years ago (Callahan?). I know there have been others that I've read about, also. But your point is taken...usually if a guy wants to leave, they end up leaving.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Some other things to consider, Kromer has some serious skeletons in his closet, among them talking badly to the media about his own quarterback - Jay Cutler, and assault charges for hitting a young boy.

Talking badly about Cutler may make me like him more.

visionary

Reaction score
Hes titled as assistant head coach so because of lateral movement rules he could only be hired as a head coach unless Payton agrees to let him leave and then it would be demoting himself of sorts!

If you agree to work with Garrett you're demoting yourself anyway no matter if you're the water boy