Possible running back ideas

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.

malbis030347

Reaction score
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
And we will do absolutely nothing in any of these areas

rambo2

Reaction score

Just trade for more draft picks and draft 2 studs in the draft.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And we will do absolutely nothing in any of these areas

Hey, I'm trying to show some positive ideas lol. Plus, signing some backs off practice squads might not be a bad idea. We can do that for no draft picks. I forgot to mention Zavier Scott, btw.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zavier_Scott

He's on the Vikings PS. Maybe we could sign him for no draft picks. The Vikings have a deep RB room, so he could end up being a good signing.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Jacksonville isn't going to give Eitenne away like that. It would probably take a 3rd to get him. If not a 4th. I dont know that I do that with this team. He isnt taking is any farther than we would have gone without

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Perhaps, but signing some backs from the practice squads is a possibility too. That's why I threw in a few practice squad players. You can sign players from other teams' practice squads without giving up a draft pick.
They're not doing anything, Deuce can't see the active roster, they have Dalvin Cook on the PS...They're NOT trading or signing anyone....

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Some reasonable names here.

1. Etienne - Good option, although I don't think he's actually a good player.
2. Hubbard - Similar to Etienne, but think they'd trade Sanders first and try to re-sign.

In either of these instances, you're going to have to give up probably more than you want because both could fit into the comp pick calculation. Ideally, you give up a 6th for these guys, but there's little reason for Jax/CAR to move them at that price because they'll count for roughly the same in the comp formula if they don't want to bring them back anyway.

3/4. Nwangwu/Price-Davis - I don't mind either for a look I guess, but the league is littered with these players. There's a reason they're on practice squads.
5. Spears - Under his rookie deal for two more years. He's not going anywhere for less than a premium pick.
6. Stevenson - Just signed an extension, not going to be moveable.

Other names:

Alvin Kamara - The Saints are dead and going to be forced into a rebuild. Has just one year left but you'd have to restructure.
Khalil Herbert - Getting no touches and in last year of his deal. Might be more worth it to Chicago just to keep him as depth.
Johnathan Taylor - Colts are going nowhere. Two years left on his deal but not a huge dead cap hit - probably would cost too much capital to acquire.
James Conner - Arizona going nowhere, last year of deal.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jacksonville isn't going to give Eitenne away like that. It would probably take a 3rd to get him. If not a 4th. I dont know that I do that with this team. He isnt taking is any farther than we would have gone without

I mean, maybe, but we might actually get a better RedZone offense. Maybe we can start playing keep away like we did a decade ago.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Some reasonable names here.

1. Etienne - Good option, although I don't think he's actually a good player.
2. Hubbard - Similar to Etienne, but think they'd trade Sanders first and try to re-sign.

In either of these instances, you're going to have to give up probably more than you want because both could fit into the comp pick calculation. Ideally, you give up a 6th for these guys, but there's little reason for Jax/CAR to move them at that price because they'll count for roughly the same in the comp formula if they don't want to bring them back anyway.

3/4. Nwangwu/Price-Davis - I don't mind either for a look I guess, but the league is littered with these players. There's a reason they're on practice squads.
5. Spears - Under his rookie deal for two more years. He's not going anywhere for less than a premium pick.
6. Stevenson - Just signed an extension, not going to be moveable.

Other names:

Alvin Kamara - The Saints are dead and going to be forced into a rebuild. Has just one year left but you'd have to restructure.
Khalil Herbert - Getting no touches and in last year of his deal. Might be more worth it to Chicago just to keep him as depth.
Johnathan Taylor - Colts are going nowhere. Two years left on his deal but not a huge dead cap hit - probably would cost too much capital to acquire.
James Conner - Arizona going nowhere, last year of deal.

I forgot about Herbert, Taylor, and Connor. They probably would be even cheaper than what I suggested. I think Herbert, especially,would be a great RedZone option for us.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe cut Zeke, he's a waste of a roster spot.... again it doesn't matter what you or I would do, Jerry and the clown show aren't doing anything.....

Right, Cook instead of Zeke, and maybe a Price-Davis instead of Vaughn could be a nice change of RB room. Time to churn the roster a bit, I say. Especially going for practice squad options, maybe we can see for cheap if we can fix a glaring issue.

rambo2

Reaction score
Perhaps, but signing some backs from the practice squads is a possibility too. That's why I threw in a few practice squad players. You can sign players from other teams' practice squads without giving up a draft pick.
Practice squad backs are not going to help this team. The toast is in the toaster for this team.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They're not doing anything, Deuce can't see the active roster, they have Dalvin Cook on the PS...They're NOT trading or signing anyone....
Yep, and after watching Cook with the Jets last year I don’t think he has much more left than Elliott.

I really don’t see them dealing for a RB, they think they are set.

Besides, the way they want to operate, they don’t have enough draft picks as it is. Can’t be giving away any more at this point.

Personally I’d try to move Martin and Diggs and roll with Bass at RG and Carson/Bland at CB, but there’s probably a better shot of Jerry stepping down before dealing a player whose laundry hangs in the gift shop.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Trading for a player isn’t going to turn the Cowboys into a good team. They have far too many holes for one player to make that big a difference. I would rather hang onto our draft picks for next April and accept where we are. If you have a good team and you need one player to help put you over the top that’s different but we’re a long way from that. We had our chances the past three seasons and the window closed on us. We’re just going to have to take our lumps and hope the Joneses are more aggressive next offseason.