Possible running back ideas

rambo2

Reaction score
Never know, if talent acquisition is a 365 day affair, then maybe there's a way to try something. Maybe we could get Herbert from Chicago for a 6 or 7 to @Mac_MaloneV1 's point and sign one of those options from a PS.
They screwed the team by not going after Henry. They need stud running backs and stud dtackles. They aren't pulling those out of a hat now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our OL isn’t very good. Even Derrick Henry wouldn’t be having the season he’s having behind our OL. Our backs aren’t very good, but you have to have some blocking. Besides, we get so far behind in some games we have to abandon the run.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Never know, if talent acquisition is a 365 day affair, then maybe there's a way to try something. Maybe we could get Herbert from Chicago for a 6 or 7 to @Mac_MaloneV1 's point and sign one of those options from a PS.
Yea I mean Ngwanu and Conner changes the complexion of the RB room pretty significantly I think (regardless of whether or not Jerry will go the logistics of doing that).

I think it might be difficult to convince the Bears to sell Herbert that cheap because he has value as a depth piece. It'd be creating a hole on a roster that, at this point, isn't a seller, even though he'd be a good fit.

rambo2

Reaction score
Our OL isn’t very good. Even Derrick Henry wouldn’t be having the season he’s having behind our OL. Our backs aren’t very good, but you have to have some blocking. Besides, we get so far behind in some games we have to abandon the run.
And they have a qb that doesn't have escapability. He needs a running game.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yea I mean Ngwanu and Conner changes the complexion of the RB room pretty significantly I think (regardless of whether or not Jerry will go the logistics of doing that).

I think it might be difficult to convince the Bears to sell Herbert that cheap because he has value as a depth piece. It'd be creating a hole on a roster that, at this point, isn't a seller, even though he'd be a good fit.

Oh fur sure, and Connor is someone we could probably sign for cheap after this season if we wanted to. Ngwanu and Connor, like you said, should improve our running back room.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They screwed the team by not going after Henry. They need stud running backs and stud dtackles. They aren't pulling those out of a hat now.

I know, and I've raked them over the coals for it. It's clear we are where we are as a result. But, maybe we can churn the roster a bit and find a decent enough band-aid at RB that can get us to the offseason and may get us into the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And they have a qb that doesn't have escapability. He needs a running game.
Not sure who you’re talking about because our QB does have some escapability. We need a running game, but there isn a back available that’s going to provide one for us. The Cowboys need to give Cook a try.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Would we be so behind if we could run the ball? We've had questionable defences before like 2014 that we were able to mask with a good run game. Even if Henry isn't having the season he's having, he can probably get about 3-4 yards a play. In the RedZone, that's important.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not sure who you’re talking about because our QB does have some escapability. We need a running game, but there isn a back available that’s going to provide one for us. The Cowboys need to give Cook a try.

I would hope they will. SF is beat up. Let Dalvin Cook!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trading for a player isn’t going to turn the Cowboys into a good team. They have far too many holes for one player to make that big a difference. I would rather hang onto our draft picks for next April
It's not. There is no reason to burn future draft capital on a player who won't make any difference this year.

I'd rather have the rookie contract also. 4 years of cheap labor.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Would we be so behind if we could run the ball? We've had questionable defences before like 2014 that we were able to mask with a good run game. Even if Henry isn't having the season he's having, he can probably get about 3-4 yards a play. In the RedZone, that's important.
Having a consistent running game would help keep our defense off the field. We likely wouldn’t get so far behind if we could run the ball. Our offense hasn’t been very efficient and we’re leaving our defense on the field too much. There really isn’t anything about this team that’s very good except we have a consistent kicker.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm always a fan of trading back to get more picks
They need to trade Parsons, Martin, Hooker, and possibly Diggs. Plus a trade back might help too. It lines up to where their 1st pick could be Jeanty, or one of the dtackles. Trading Parsons gives them 2 1st round picks. They then could get Jeanty and a dtackle or 2 dtackles and a running back or 2 in the 2nd.

Einstein

Reaction score
A problem with this line of thinking is simply that we have Cook on the PS and haven't even tried him yet in a game. With that being the case, I just can't see us going after someone on another team.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They need to trade Parsons, Martin, Hooker, and possibly Diggs. Plus a trade back might help too. It lines up to where their 1st pick could be Jeanty, or one of the dtackles. Trading Parsons gives them 2 1st round picks. They then could get Jeanty and a dtackle or 2 dtackles and a running back or 2 in the 2nd.
We have to be a bit more realistic these days Rambo, no insult to you, but do we really have any players besides Micah and a few others that could get us something decent in return??

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A problem with this line of thinking is simply that we have Cook on the PS and haven't even tried him yet in a game. With that being the case, I just can't see us going after someone on another team.
might as well, then they can release him I know he's ready to go anyways

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Having a consistent running game would help keep our defense off the field. We likely wouldn’t get so far behind if we could run the ball. Our offense hasn’t been very efficient and we’re leaving our defense on the field too much. There really isn’t anything about this team that’s very good except we have a consistent kicker.

Right, that's my point though. We are so one dimensional that you can't function as an offense in the NFL. If we can find a running back that can help improve our running game, I think the offense becomes more efficient.

rambo2

Reaction score
We have to be a bit more realistic these days Rambo, no insult to you, but do we really have any players besides Micah and a few others that could get us something decent in return??
Trading all of the players I mentioned helps the team. Parsons gives them at least another 1st round pick and gives them money. Martin is going to retire anyway. Diggs gives them money and gets rid of a guy that doesn't tackle. Hooker let's them play their other safeties. You could also trade Cooks to Tampa. Cooks will be gone next year anyway. The bottom line is that they could draft the 2 dtackles and 2 running backs they need and have more money to spend and more draft capital.