Possible running back ideas

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Right, that's my point though. We are so one dimensional that you can't function as an offense in the NFL. If we can find a running back that can help improve our running game, I think the offense becomes more efficient.
We’re not going find an RB this season. No team is going to part ways with a back any better than what we already have. Like I said a big part of the problem is our OL. Guyton has struggled. We’re not opening up any holes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We’re not going find an RB this season. No team is going to part ways with a back any better than what we already have. Like I said a big part of the problem is our OL. Guyton has struggled. We’re not opening up any holes.

Yes, but I think the easiest way to help your oline is to run the ball more with effective backs. Maybe we can get Connor. That's probably the way to go. If not, maybe churning the running back room might help.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
now what are we going to do about OL (RT, LT), and WR2, DT1, DT2, DEs, Safties and maybe a LB for good measure...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
now what are we going to do about OL (RT, LT), and WR2, DT1, DT2, DEs, Safties and maybe a LB for good measure...

I think if we can get an effective running back that our oline can improve. I get we have a lot of issues, but maybe we can find a back like a Connor who can be cheap or cost nothing in the case of a PS back that turns out to be decent, and then go from there.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trading all of the players I mentioned helps the team. Parsons gives them at least another 1st round pick and gives them money. Martin is going to retire anyway. Diggs gives them money and gets rid of a guy that doesn't tackle. Hooker let's them play their other safeties. You could also trade Cooks to Tampa. Cooks will be gone next year anyway. The bottom line is that they could draft the 2 dtackles and 2 running backs they need and have more money to spend and more draft capital.
would they ever be this aggressive?????? Cooks would have to play some games before someone would want him, diggs just got that big deal, who's going to want to take on that.

It would be nice if the Cowboys came out and said WE'RE going to be sellers!!!!!

rambo2

Reaction score
would they ever be this aggressive?????? Cooks would have to play some games before someone would want him, diggs just got that big deal, who's going to want to take on that.

It would be nice if the Cowboys came out and said WE'RE going to be sellers!!!!!
Tampa would want Cooks right now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think if we can get an effective running back that our oline can improve. I get we have a lot of issues, but maybe we can find a back like a Connor who can be cheap or cost nothing in the case of a PS back that turns out to be decent, and then go from there.
you have to fix both....will it improve? being able to get to the LOS is a pre-requisite, but this OL is pretty bad right now

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, but I think the easiest way to help your oline is to run the ball more with effective backs. Maybe we can get Connor. That's probably the way to go. If not, maybe churning the running back room might help.
I don’t believe we’re going to find a more effective back who will be made available at this stage of the season. Trading away a pick for an RB isn’t the way to go in my opinion. I would rather keep our picks and draft a back.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
you have to fix both....will it improve? being able to get to the LOS is a pre-requisite, but this OL is pretty bad right now

I mean, and there are players on the practice squad (both ours and others) we can always try too. I think the biggest issue is Steele. Guyton is a natural RT, if I read his draft profile better. Tyler Smith likes the LT. Maybe we can try Tyler at LT, Steele at LG, Beebe at C, Martin at RG, and Guyton at RT. I remember we had to rotate Tyron Smith to LT his rookie year, and he became what he was. Maybe we can try that shift.

conner01

Reaction score
Just trade for more draft picks and draft 2 studs in the draft.
Honestly one guys not helping this team. I’d be more of a seller than a buyer. I’d trade one of Diggs/Bland for picks. We aren’t paying both anyway. We don’t have much else to trade after that. But I’d be open to all options to add picks.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don’t believe we’re going to find a more effective back who will be made available at this stage of the season. Trading away a pick for an RB isn’t the way to go in my opinion. I would rather keep our picks and draft a back.

Oh trust me, I've made it clear I want Jeanty. That said, i also would like to see us churn at least with practice squad options.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Honestly one guys not helping this team. I’d be more of a seller than a buyer. I’d trade one of Diggs/Bland for picks. We aren’t paying both anyway. We don’t have much else to trade after that. But I’d be open to all options to add picks.

I think we paid Diggs already, but trying to deal Bland might be smart. A competitive team like the Bills would probably give a lot for him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, but I think the easiest way to help your oline is to run the ball more with effective backs. Maybe we can get Connor.
Connor isn’t going to turn us into a good team. When you have a bad team, you need to try and add draft picks not trade them away. We need all the draft picks we can get because we’re probably not going to be very active in free agency next offseason.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Connor isn’t going to turn us into a good team. When you have a bad team, you need to try and add draft picks not trade them away. We need all the draft picks we can get because we’re probably not going to be very active in free agency next offseason.

True, and we probably should inventory what we can deal. Bland probably would demand a lot. We could probably try to deal Cooks, and see what else we have. Maybe deal Parsons for a big haul (though, maybe we could rebuild our defence around him).

CWR

Reaction score
Practice squad backs are not going to help this team. The toast is in the toaster for this team.
I'd still go get Frank Gore Jr. I cant imagine he wouldn't be at least our 2nd best back.

conner01

Reaction score
I think we paid Diggs already, but trying to deal Bland might be smart. A competitive team like the Bills would probably give a lot for him.
We have paid Diggs but that wouldn’t prevent a trade just likely net less than if traded before and cost Jerry some cash he has to eat from signing bonus. We need to add talent abd we aren’t paying both. The fact it makes so much sense is probably why Jerry won’t do it

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I mean, and there are players on the practice squad (both ours and others) we can always try too. I think the biggest issue is Steele. Guyton is a natural RT, if I read his draft profile better. Tyler Smith likes the LT. Maybe we can try Tyler at LT, Steele at LG, Beebe at C, Martin at RG, and Guyton at RT. I remember we had to rotate Tyron Smith to LT his rookie year, and he became what he was. Maybe we can try that shift.
I think Steele is done. he has zero lateral movement. I have been harping that for a while, including last year...and I excused him last year because he was coming off injury....and I think Guyton would be a better RT and nothing wrong with putting a first round pick at RT spot...however, Jerry won't allow it....first he paid Steele so he is going to keep him until his contract runs out because jerry doesn't want to pay for a starting position twice (if he cuts them before their contract runs out, ends up in dead money). and Jerry won't allow his 80M contract sit on the bench......

so this charade will continue for a couple of more year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
Sorry to tell you, but you wasted your time. RB we be addressed in the draft.