Post an obscure and pointless fact

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
On Jupiter and Saturn it rains diamonds.

I found this quote, so it maybe true though they do not yet have any proof it's happening.

It is a well-known fact that about half of a percent of Saturn's atmosphere comprises of methane. Also, thanks to images sent in by NASA spacecraft Cassini, which has been orbiting the ringed planet since 2004, researchers know that Saturn is susceptible to giant lightning storms and even, hurricanes.

Using this information, Kevin and the study's co-author - planetary scientist Mona Delitsky, deduced that the lightning burns up the methane that is present in the atmosphere and transforms the odorless, colorless gas into something we are all familiar with - soot or carbon. As clouds of the black carbon are 'raining' down on the planet, they clump together and form graphite which gets subjected to intense pressure from the atmosphere as it gets closer to the planet's core and transforms into the shiny precious stones that we lovingly call diamonds. While Jupiter's atmosphere comprises of only 0.2% methane the scientists believe that a similar phenomenon occurs there too.

Xelda

Reaction score
I found this quote, so it maybe true though they do not yet have any proof it's happening.
It is a well-known fact that about half of a percent of Saturn's atmosphere comprises of methane. Also, thanks to images sent in by NASA spacecraft Cassini, which has been orbiting the ringed planet since 2004, researchers know that Saturn is susceptible to giant lightning storms and even, hurricanes.
Using this information, Kevin and the study's co-author - planetary scientist Mona Delitsky, deduced that the lightning burns up the methane that is present in the atmosphere and transforms the odorless, colorless gas into something we are all familiar with - soot or carbon. As clouds of the black carbon are 'raining' down on the planet, they clump together and form graphite which gets subjected to intense pressure from the atmosphere as it gets closer to the planet's core and transforms into the shiny precious stones that we lovingly call diamonds. While Jupiter's atmosphere comprises of only 0.2% methane the scientists believe that a similar phenomenon occurs there too.
Wait... WHAT?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There are exoplanets this is known to happen, but I've never heard of this on Saturn or Jupiter. Or any planet in our solar system for that matter.
I've heard it happens on one of Neptune's moons. (Pretty sure it was Neptune) BTW, this is only a theory, and I don't think they're actually diamonds as we know them.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The book Green Eggs and Ham started as a $50 bet with Dr. Seuss' editor that he couldn't write a book with less than 50 different words.

The character in that book was Sam I Am. Wow, that sounds familiar! ;)

kskboys

Reaction score
What is your question? hah That Diamonds are made from carbon (like in water filters) that is compressed so tightly that the carbon atoms forms a lattice that happens to be clear.

Or is that actually about kskboys' unsupported claim? :laugh:
Hey, you just adopted my primary teenage strategy!!!! Deny, deny, deny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paladin

Reaction score
The Zombies, part of the English invasion, hit the charts with songs “Time of the Season” & “She’s Not There” in 1969
Unfortunately, they had broken up two year earlier.
But since noone really knew what any of the band members looked like, the the promoter created a new Zombie act that toured the northern US.
The glaring difference in sound was ascribed to "studio distortions"
Trying to maximize profits, the promoter simultaneously created a 2nd Zombies band to tour the southern US.
They didn't even have a keyboard player, a major element of their sound.

The southern band was one of the first paying gigs for Frank Beard and Dusty Hill, original members of ZZ TOP

Last edited: