Post an obscure and pointless fact

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crocodiles and alligators are surprisingly fast on land. Although they are rapid, they are not agile, so if you ever find yourself chased by one, run in a zigzag line. You'll lose him or her every time.

ww-qa-3-worlds-longest-alligator-02-600x450.jpg
Is that before or after I climb down from the tree?

Last edited:

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
The second you put fruit in a beer. It's not longer a beer and becomes a girly frou-frou drink. ;)

I agree. It's supposed to be used as a cork to keep flies out of it. Take the lime wedge out, take a swig and put it back in.

People went down to Mexico for vacation and just assumed that it comes with a lime and cram into the beer.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ella Brennan, then the owner/operator of Commander's Palace in New Orleans, the finest restaurant I have ever had the pleasure of dining in, hired an unknown Chef named Paul Prudhomme after a one time phone interview having never tasted his food. He became a renown Chef, a James Beard winner and opened his own famous restaurant K Paul's and made Blackened Redfish a nationally known and often copied entre. He, alone, was responsible for the moratorium on fishing for Redfish in the gulf.

Going the same way she had before, when Prudhomme left to go it on his own, she hired another unknown, Emeril Lagasse, in a one time phone interview having never tasted his food. He also became a James Beard winner and has a successful chain of restaurants.

This has always fascinated me but if you read about her, it really shouldn't. She was a remarkable lady with insight and intuitiveness unmatched in the restaurant industry. If she had been responsible for training all the of the people involved in customer service in this country, we wouldn't have a problem because her folks were the best trained in the business and they all had this same pride in what they did and were uncanny in the essence of service, "do not wait to be asked.........anticipate".

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ella Brennan, then the owner/operator of Commander's Palace in New Orleans, the finest restaurant I have ever had the pleasure of dining in, hired an unknown Chef named Paul Prudhomme after a one time phone interview having never tasted his food. He became a renown Chef, a James Beard winner and opened his own famous restaurant K Paul's and made Blackened Redfish a nationally known and often copied entre. He, alone, was responsible for the moratorium on fishing for Redfish in the gulf.

I temporarily moved to New Orleans back in 1985 (my dad was in the Navy) Anyhow, I didn't even eat spicy foods at the time, but I fell in love with Cajun food. It took me years to figure out a great recipe for Jambalaya, but I finally did. Gumbo, blackened meats, Po'boys. I love that stuff. Especially if you pair them with a nice off-dry Riesling.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I temporarily moved to New Orleans back in 1985 (my dad was in the Navy) Anyhow, I didn't even eat spicy foods at the time, but I fell in love with Cajun food. It took me years to figure out a great recipe for Jambalaya, but I finally did. Gumbo, blackened meats, Po'boys. I love that stuff. Especially if you pair them with a nice off-dry Riesling.
Same here, I first moved there in 76 with no knowledge of Cajun cuisine and the only Creole I'd ever had was shrimp but not the way they fixed it down in N'awlins.

Sam, my greatest disappointment was taking my wife back to her favorite soulful city in this country, 3 years after Katrina, and seeing first hand how the most unusual and fun city in America had been allowed to suffer. We were depressed and actually cut our trip short by a day.

At one time, we could leave America without really leaving it and I do not think that feeling will ever return and a real pearl in the oyster was allowed to fade. It's not everyone's cup of tea and some hate it but when you got to know the folks, none better.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In May 1949 an unknown 15 year-old Brigitte Bardot was on the cover of Elle Magazine. Movie director Roger Vadim saw her and was intrigued. He then contacted her to star in a movie. Started her career.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/45/**/00/45af00c971f1cad6e81351c61500c710.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Same here, I first moved there in 76 with no knowledge
of Cajun cuisine and the only Creole I'd ever had was shrimp but not the way they fixed it down in N'awlins.

Sam, my greatest disappointment was taking my wife back to her favorite soulful city in this country, 3 years after Katrina, and seeing first hand how the most unusual and fun city in America had been allowed to suffer. We were depressed and actually cut our trip short by a day.

At one time, we could leave America without really leaving it and I do not think that feeling will ever return and a real pearl in the oyster was allowed to fade. It's not everyone's cup of tea and some hate it but when you got to know the folks, none better.

I was there for about a year and a half. My home down there (in Belle Chase) doesn't even exist anymore. It was completely wiped off the map by Katrina.

I have a friend named Nichole who grew up in Connecticut. She has visited New Orleans several times and she said her goal is to buy a house and move down there.

I wasn't a huge fan of the area (especially not the schools), but I definitely loved the food. I got to say, having mosquitoes the the size of softballs wasn't fun. Or seeing caskets laying on the side of the road after a huge flood since most people are buried above ground down there. (fyi, caskets float rofl)

105839376_caskets_louisiana_FOREIGN_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqI-gJgSO5jsZabrCjPyvwDYLw5Z5U5lZ5ZtsdNrsN99s.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was there for about a year and a half. My home down there (in Belle Chase) doesn't even exist anymore. It was completely wiped off the map by Katrina.

I have a friend named Nichole who grew up in Connecticut. She has visited New Orleans several times and she said her goal is to buy a house and move down there.

I wasn't a huge fan of the area (especially not the schools), but I definitely loved the food. I got to say, having mosquitoes the the size of softballs wasn't fun. Or seeing caskets laying on the side of the road after a huge flood since most people are buried above ground down there. (fyi, caskets float rofl)

105839376_caskets_louisiana_FOREIGN_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqI-gJgSO5jsZabrCjPyvwDYLw5Z5U5lZ5ZtsdNrsN99s.jpg
We lived there for 3 years and then it began to get to us that it was a great place to visit and party but we have a son turning 4. In the mid 80's, moved to Baton Rouge and went to NO to party and liked it a lot better than living there. The bugs and humidity are definitely not a life enhancement. In July and August, it rains up.

Xelda

Reaction score

Oh good God! Another reason to avoid New Orleans.