Post-Draft Day Press Conference clears things up

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The front office really mirrored a lot of what I had concluded, but they definitely also cleared things up.

Offensive Line

They came into the draft with high hopes to get Warmack or Cooper. Despite Jerry saying they were happy with offensive line. This should remind people not to take every Jerry says literally. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors.

At 18, those players were gone, and they wanted to come out of this draft anchoring the offensive line going forward in the future. They wanted that building block. They weren't going to draft Long, Pugh, or Frederick at 18, which would have been inappropriate. That being said once they got to 31 Long and Pugh were off the board, they knew they had to pull the trigger on Frederick. They could not wait to get their anchor in the second round, since he might not be there.

This was very much a philosophical pick. Jerry has established to an extent that getting Smith and Frederick allows us to build the offensive line up over the next couple years. I would strongly expect more offensive linemen early in the next couple years, until we've put together an excellent offensive line.

This draft was very much about taking our offense to the next level. Combining the investment in Tony Romo with the tools necessary to be successful on offense. Putting together an offensive line that can protect him was the beginning of that.

Tight End

Going forward though, they selected Gavin Escobar. And at first I was furious at this move, but that being said, the pick makes sense in terms of what they've always wanted to do. They've always wanted to become what the Patriots are. We've been trying to run the 12 personnel formation since we drafted Fasano. It just hasn't worked out. The Patriots hit on Hernandez and Gronkowski.

The Cowboys say their scouting team had him listed as the best pass catching tight end in the draft. And if they want to run the 12 personnel like New England does, I think they felt like this would be the piece they needed. Why they didn't feel like Hanna could fill that role already, I don't know. I think it's a combination of having Hanna, and the fact that we drafted this guy in the 2nd (Hernandez for example was drafted in the 4th). For this pick to be a successful one, this guy can't be Fasano, and he can't be Bennett. He has to be Hernandez or better. I think that is going to be a big if, simply based on our history, and based on what this player looks like.

Jerry Jones said before we re-signed Romo long term, that we had to do something different on offense. And this draft has certainly reflected that.

Wide Receiver

We drafted Terrance Williams. Most people myself included would probably say we didn't need a wide receiver. That being said, I think Williams gives a dimension we've been lacking for a very long time. When was the last time we had a speed guy who could really take the top of the defense? I think when we're in 3 receiver sets we could really stretch the defense out. Especially if we have a respectable offensive line. He can also supplant Austin in the future, especially if we can develop some of these young wide receivers like Harris, Beasley, and Coale.

Safety

Finally the last pick of JJ Wilcox. I'm sorry but this pick reminds me too much of Akwasi Awusu Ansah. I'm really getting tired of these project picks so early. And he screams project. I can't recall a single project player we've taken that we've been able to develop in the last 10 years. You have a division 1-AA player who has played the position for a year... on the other hand you could have taken a more sure thing like Phillip Thomas... It's definitely a head scratcher to me. At all positions safety is probably the one we couldn't afford another project. We already have to hope that Matt Johnson can become a healthy productive player, and that Barry Church can somehow find the range to become a Cover 2 safety... I guess we'll be leaning on Will Allen quite a bit this year.

CoCo

Reaction score
Pretty nice analysis. I agree with much of it. I'll add that I doubt, or at least hope, that the plan that has unfolded was not entirely to script. Meaning I hope they weren't going to force that strategy come hell or highwater. I think that's the debate and frustration about the 18 to 31 move, Frederick etc.

I suspect you're right about Dallas wanting to shore up the O-line and I really am alright with how they navigated that given the big run on O-line in Round 1.

Still struggling with the Escobar pick and will until Dallas proves this strategy to be effective on the field. We just cannot be spending these 2nd round picks on what turnout to be mediocre backup TE's.

Williams. I see how he could be a nice move. Its just so hard to trust that we have sufficient talent at O-line now to fix the incredible problems that have ruined our last two seasons. Do you have more hope in Miles Austin or Costa, Livings, Bernadeau?

I'm also with the crowd that worries about our D-line. Its age, and depth. Again, more confidence that Ratliff stays healthy than Austin?

Strangely, as desperate as we've been at Safety I somehow probably more excited about the mix of candidates (Church, Johnson, Allen & Wilcox) than I should be. They have pretty much zero credentials. Still, I will say I'm excited to see what develops there. I like the upside of both Johnson & Wilcox.

We don't have enough remaining picks for what I'd like to see us still grab.

We MUST get a RB! Right? Did anyone feel the same way about adding a TE? Or WR? I feel a bit painted into the corner with few resources to do much about it. And I'd still like to add a young D-lineman.

Telling myself some of this is going to have to get done via UDFA? Not much of a plan there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Galian Beast;5065824 said:
Safety

Finally the last pick of JJ Wilcox. I'm sorry but this pick reminds me too much of Akwasi Awusu Ansah.

Ironic the guys on the radio were all over this and said he was completely the opposite of ASA. Friday AM Sturm said he was a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
CoCo;5065980 said:
Pretty nice analysis. I agree with much of it. I'll add that I doubt, or at least hope, that the plan that has unfolded was not entirely to script. Meaning I hope they weren't going to force that strategy come hell or highwater. I think that's the debate and frustration about the 18 to 31 move, Frederick etc.

I suspect you're right about Dallas wanting to shore up the O-line and I really am alright with how they navigated that given the big run on O-line in Round 1.

Still struggling with the Escobar pick and will until Dallas proves this strategy to be effective on the field. We just cannot be spending these 2nd round picks on what turnout to be mediocre backup TE's.

Williams. I see how he could be a nice move. Its just so hard to trust that we have sufficient talent at O-line now to fix the incredible problems that have ruined our last two seasons. Do you have more hope in Miles Austin or Costa, Livings, Bernadeau?

I'm also with the crowd that worries about our D-line. Its age, and depth. Again, more confidence that Ratliff stays healthy than Austin?

Strangely, as desperate as we've been at Safety I somehow probably more excited about the mix of candidates (Church, Johnson, Allen & Wilcox) than I should be. They have pretty much zero credentials. Still, I will say I'm excited to see what develops there. I like the upside of both Johnson & Wilcox.

We MUST get a RB! Right? Did anyone feel the same way about adding a TE? Or WR? I feel a bit painted into the corner with few resources to do much about it. And I'd still like to add a young D-lineman.

Telling myself some of this is going to have to get done via UDFA? Not much of a plan there.

if i was asked to speculate... and thats what boards like these are for.

dallas and sf had the deal ready to go provided cooper, warmack and richardson were off the board but a couple guys sf liked were there. once cooper and warmack went early trading up was gone. once richardson went it was trade down time.

it happened and dallas moved down.

dallas was probably shocked to see pugh and long go so quickly after that trade down. i know dallas liked 2 int ol guys at 31 (frederick plus one of long/pugh).

they were simply scared to move down at all with frederick their highest rated ol left and highest rated interior guy by a full round or more. so they took him.

in summary dallas was going to draft for need but also try to follow the board. they took a slight kick in the shorts to do so but one they felt necessary after seeing max unger and levitre go in similar situations in past drafts.

dallas fans are mad we drafted frederick at 31 but imagine how mad they'd be if we drafted a safety at 31 and didnt get an int ol at all til round 5 or 6?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
CoCo;5065980 said:

I think they felt that they had to improve the offensive line. The "Dream" was to get Cooper or Warmack. I don't think the "plan" was to draft Frederick at 31, but after offensive linemen started to fly off the board, they had no choice.

I think the 12 personnel group has been our most productive over the last few years. I think they felt that if they added a legitimate pass catching tight end to that group, that we could get a lot out of it. That might be a need that doesn't translate given what we knew of their plans for the offense. Escobar is a much more accomplished pass catcher than Bennett or Fasano coming out of college.

As much difficulty as Romo had during the year, the offensive line did pass block a lot better in the second half of the season. I think that shouldn't be ignored. I think the biggest issue was our lack of a running game and ability to run in the redzone. Adding a deep threat like Williams takes the top off the defense. This means that safeties have to play deeper, corners have to play deeper. Linebackers are kept honest.

We've been so susceptible to the blitz, that teams have really had at us. You give them potential punishments for doing so, and we'll finally be able to force them into situations where they play us straight up. I think Williams gives us this.

I do have a bit more faith in Austin this year, but I don't think we need him to carry this team. I think the offense is going to be opened up for a lot of our players. They'll have a lot of one on ones, and if we give Romo more time, hopefully they'll use that advantage.

I think the defensive line is fine for now. The priority of this line is it's ability to pass rush. The linemen don't need to worry about the run nearly as much as the 3-4 line needed to. This means guys like Ratliff, Hatcher, Crawford, and Lissemore can focus on pass rushing, which they are capable of. We also have Brian Price who could work out nicely.

I do think we need a running back, but I still think there are a lot of options out there. I also think that there are options in free agency, which will likely increase in June.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
jterrell;5066082 said:
if i was asked to speculate... and thats what boards like these are for.

dallas and sf had the deal ready to go provided cooper, warmack and richardson were off the board but a couple guys sf liked were there. once cooper and warmack went early trading up was gone. once richardson went it was trade down time.

it happened and dallas moved down.

dallas was probably shocked to see pugh and long go so quickly after that trade down. i know dallas liked 2 int ol guys at 31 (frederick plus one of long/pugh).

they were simply scared to move down at all with frederick their highest rated ol left and highest rated interior guy by a full round or more. so they took him.

in summary dallas was going to draft for need but also try to follow the board. they took a slight kick in the shorts to do so but one they felt necessary after seeing max unger and levitre go in similar situations in past drafts.

dallas fans are mad we drafted frederick at 31 but imagine how mad they'd be if we drafted a safety at 31 and didnt get an int ol at all til round 5 or 6?

I don't think we were interested in Richardson. The guy had 6 career sacks. That isn't the type of defensive tackle we're looking for here. Especially not at 18.

Outside of that, I think you're correct. Not sure about having the deal prearranged though, but there was plenty of time to talk to them after Warmack was drafted.

If we had drafted Elam or Reid, and didn't get an offensive linemen until the 3rd round grades... oh my...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;5066011 said:
Ironic the guys on the radio were all over this and said he was completely the opposite of ASA. Friday AM Sturm said he was a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

I didn't mean he was similar in the sense that they play alike, rather that they are both inexperienced, from small schools, and were essentially project players.

AOA didn't work out... and neither has any of our projects at safety.

jnday

Reaction score
Galian Beast;5066122 said:
I didn't mean he was similar in the sense that they play alike, rather that they are both inexperienced, from small schools, and were essentially project players.

AOA, Johnson and Wilcox. Yeah, peas in a pod.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
jnday;5066139 said:
AOA, Johnson and Wilcox. Yeah, peas in a pod.

I wouldn't call Johnson a project. Justin Beriault and Pat Watkins are more like it.

I still have a lot of confidence that Matt Johnson will be a solid player for us. Early injury stuff shouldn't dissuade anyone of that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Galian Beast;5066111 said:
I don't think we were interested in Richardson. The guy had 6 career sacks. That isn't the type of defensive tackle we're looking for here. Especially not at 18.

Outside of that, I think you're correct. Not sure about having the deal prearranged though, but there was plenty of time to talk to them after Warmack was drafted.

If we had drafted Elam or Reid, and didn't get an offensive linemen until the 3rd round grades... oh my...

Actually we did like Richardson according to most and Jerry himself stated they passed on Floyd because he was a 1 this year whereas they were more in the market for a 3.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Galian Beast;5066111 said:

SF's GM stated the deal was pre-arranged provided certain players were gone and others still there.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Galian Beast;5066141 said:
I wouldn't call Johnson a project. Justin Beriault and Pat Watkins are more like it.

I still have a lot of confidence that Matt Johnson will be a solid player for us. Early injury stuff shouldn't dissuade anyone of that.

Beriault and Watkins weren't projects.

Beriault was very talented but couldn't ever get healthy.
Watkins was a big-time athlete from a big-time school who was a long shot because of his size. Tall NFL safeties are a rare breed.

AOA and many others have been projects. The average draft by round 5 or so that's what you find.

CoCo

Reaction score
Galian Beast;5066103 said:
I think they felt that they had to improve the offensive line. The "Dream" was to get Cooper or Warmack. I don't think the "plan" was to draft Frederick at 31, but after offensive linemen started to fly off the board, they had no choice.

Don't know if you had a chance to watch todays post-draft press conference but your statements above are right on per Jerry. He even used the word "dream" to describe Cooper/Warmack falling to 18.

Jones pretty much stated in no uncertain terms that they were not leaving Round 1 without an anchor for that O-line. Scary talk on the one-hand, given how that can force picks etc., but as you say imagine the outcry if Dallas goes truly BPA and ends up "fixing" the line with late round draft picks.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Galian Beast;5066122 said:

There is Div 1 then there is Div 2 and then there is the division that AOA played in. For all intents and purposes AOA was a HS prospect.

You can find film of Wilcox against Georgia last season at least.

Reaction score
Will Fredericks and an FA right tackle to be named later be enough to turn around the league's worst OL? It may all come down to Leary becoming a quality starting guard.

jnday

Reaction score
Galian Beast;5066141 said:

Small school, many considered Johnson a big reach, he may not be a project, but it is a big jump to the NFL from where he comes from.

arglebargle

Reaction score
I am not surprised by the WR pick, as they were heavilly interviewing players who were thought of as 2nd round prospects. And the Cowboys have had a strong interest in having at least one really fast WR, probably for stretching the field purposes. Sadly, that meant Ogletree for the last couple of years.

Definitely, if Escobar is not playing a lot of snaps, choosing him in the second round would be a waste. If you are going to play a two TE system, you had better have three TEs who can do it. Otherwise any injury to one means you have to drop out of that game plan.

I suspect they are going to give Wilcox plenty of chances to show himself on special teams, and quite possibly KR. They may not even be finished on the safety front as well.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
arglebargle;5066221 said:
I am not surprised by the WR pick, as they were heavilly interviewing players who were thought of as 2nd round prospects. And the Cowboys have had a strong interest in having at least one really fast WR, probably for stretching the field purposes. Sadly, that meant Ogletree for the last couple of years.

Definitely, if Escobar is not playing a lot of snaps, choosing him in the second round would be a waste. If you are going to play a two TE system, you had better have three TEs who can do it. Otherwise any injury to one means you have to drop out of that game plan.

I suspect they are going to give Wilcox plenty of chances to show himself on special teams, and quite possibly KR. They may not even be finished on the safety front as well.

How many tight ends have the Patriots tried to acquire, as you said, it speaks for itself.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
jterrell;5066154 said:
Actually we did like Richardson according to most and Jerry himself stated they passed on Floyd because he was a 1 this year whereas they were more in the market for a 3.

Richardson was similar to Floyd in that respect.

4.96 40 time, 6 career sacks in college.