Post-draft team analysis: DL

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Starters: Robert Quinn, Maliek Collins, Antwaun Woods, DeMarcus Lawrence
Contenders: Taco Charlton, Tyrone Crawford, Christian Covington, Dorance Armstrong, Kerry Hyder, Trysten Hill, Daniel Ross, Joe Jackson, Jalen Jelks, Shakir Soto, Daniel Wise, Ricky Walker, Randy Gregory

Almost everything Dallas was forced to do on the defensive line this offseason begins with two failures. Randy Gregory was suspended indefinitely in February, forcing Dallas to seek pass-rushing help at right end, and David Irving's love for everything but football reached its sad but inevitable conclusion. Both players have proven to this point to be a waste of very good talent.

After spending most of his career suspended, Gregory finally got to play for a season last year and began showing what kind of pass rusher he could be as the season progressed. It was the type that Dallas has been hoping that first-round pick Taco Charlton would become, but right now Charlton is just a rotational, bit player who doesn't add much as a pass rusher. Maybe he will change that in his third season, but Dallas isn't counting on it, first taking a flier on Kerry Hyder to try to mitigate the loss of Gregory. Hyder was a find for Detroit in 2016, providing eight sacks primarily as a reserve. However, he missed the 2017 season with a torn Achilles and then didn't do much his first year back from it (one sack in seven games).

If Hyder recovers his form, he adds a pass rusher who has some thickness that will allow him to rotate in at end on run downs or even play inside as a pass rusher on passing downs. However, the Cowboys can't exactly just count on Hyder returned to 2016 form, so the team traded for Robert Quinn. Quinn at this point in his career is probably a better pressure player than Gregory (although Gregory could have passed him this year with continued development). He was once a 19-sack player, but hasn't come close to that number the past four years because of injuries. Last year (his first with Miami) was the first time he did not get 10-plus sacks when he played all 16 games for a team. However, the tape shows that he wins a lot more battles than his 6.5 sacks last year reflect in both pass and run defense. He's an active player who teams have to consistently account for, which is what we need opposite DeMarcus Lawrence.

Lawrence, our $105 million man, has been our main disruptive player on the line the last couple of years. He consistently gets into the backfield even with teams giving him extra attentions. The Rams' whole game plan in the playoffs was to force someone else on the line to make plays and it didn't happen enough, which is one of the reasons we needed to improve the line. It's hard to be a one-man wrecking crew, but too often Lawrence had to be one because we had other players who came up big sometimes, but weren't consistent with it. Lawrence has ended up carrying too much of the burden the last two years to the point that where the defense usually went as he went.

While Quinn and Lawrence should be expected to receive the bulk of the snaps, Dallas likes to have a good rotation, so in addition to Hyder, Dorance Armstrong and possibly Tyrone Crawford should be expected to contribute at end. Armstrong showed good run play and pass rush potential in the preseason and will be given opportunities to build on that as a reserve. Crawford plugs in wherever he's needed, so if our run defense at right end isn't stout enough, he'll be back out there. If he's needed on the inside as a pass rusher, he'll be used there and provide steady but not spectacular results. He's not a player you want starting, but he's a player you have to start if no one more talented steps up or because others can't stay healthy.

We also added a couple of young players in the draft, Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks, so this has become a crowded position, although position flex means some of the end candidates (Hyder, Crawford and probably Jackson) could end up with roles inside. Jackson had good college production at end, but his lack of a quick burst along with having pretty good size could result in a shift inside as a pass-rushing tackle. Jelks seems to be more of a project more likely to make the practice squad than stick on the 53 this year.

In addition to the three hybrids, Dallas made a couple other moves to make up for Irving being an idiot. First, after our run defense was gashed by the Rams, the Cowboys signed Christian Covington in free agency. Covington is a strong run defender, with a little pass rush ability, who we can line up next to Antwuan Woods on run downs. Woods was quite a find at 1-tech until injury affected his play in the playoffs. In addition to playing next to Woods in run defense, Covington will serve as the backup 1-tech.

How much Covington plays at 3-tech likely depends on two things: the health of Maliek Collins and the development of second-round pick Trysten Hill. Collins is not a great run defender despite his size, but he's OK at it while having enough quickness to his game to contribute some as a pass rusher. Hill looks like he could be better at both of those things because of great initial quickness along with some raw power. However, Hill is more the direct replacement for Irving both in terms of ability and concerns about character. If he'll take to coaching and allow his abilities to be directed properly, he could be a force. If he proves to be a malcontent when things don't go his way, then we still don't have the kind of 3-tech this defense needs.

A surprise at the position, though, could be Daniel Wise. He's more of a pass-rushing 3-tech than run-stopper, but does have some clear potential in that regard. So the good news is that we have a lot of players who could potentially make this line better than it was last year. The bad news is that we didn't add any players that we absolutely know will make the line better, although I do think Quinn and Covington are safe bets.

ROSTER PREDICTION: I'd like to keep 11, but I think 10 will be the limit. We've got four clear ends (Lawrence, Quinn, Charlton and Armstrong), three hybrids (Crawford, Hyder, Jackson) and four clear defensive tackles (Woods, Collins, Covington and Hill). I believe one of Charlton, Hyder and Jackson won't make the team. If Charlton doesn't step up this preseason, we could look to trade him at the end of camp to recoup any pick we could get. Hyder isn't being paid that much, so if he doesn't recover his form or others are simply as good or better, he could be the odd man out. Jackson is a late-round draft pick, so his fate, along with Wise's, could be a season on the practice squad. If Charlton, Hyder and Jackson all look great (or if Wise does instead of one of them), it could spell the end of Crawford's time on the roster because of his high salary.

My prediction is we will end up keeping Lawrence, Quinn, Charlton, Armstrong, Crawford, Hyder, Woods, Collins, Covington and Hill, with Jackson and Wise going on the PS. My hope is that Jackson or Wise play at least equal to Charlton and Crawford and we can trade Charlton and/or Crawford for picks or players at other positions.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I agree...we go 10 along the DL.
excited about this DL as a whole.
Trysten Hill could challenge for Collins starting role....I like Joe Jackson...big,tough...old-school type DE.
my guess....DE(5)DLaw,Quinn,Crawford,Charlton,Jackson.
DT(5)Hill,Collins,Woods,Covington,Wise.

Taco vs Armstrong vs Jackson should be fun to watch.

38 Special

Reaction score
With the 11 guys you like, there’s a -always a chance that one or more get nicked up in camp and start the year on the injury list allowing you to stash one.

Woods was a great find last year, and I think we’ll get reasonable results from Quinn & Co. at RE so long as Lawrence stays healthy and commands double teams. We need consistent production from the 3T for this defense to really take the next step.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree...we go 10 along the DL.
excited about this DL as a whole.
Trysten Hill could challenge for Collins starting role....I like Joe Jackson...big,tough...old-school type DE.
my guess....DE(5)DLaw,Quinn,Crawford,Charlton,Jackson.
DT(5)Hill,Collins,Woods,Covington,Wise.

Taco vs Armstrong vs Jackson should be fun to watch.

I'm a bit surprised that you think Armstrong would lose his spot. I can understand the rest, though, as I don't think Hyder is guaranteed a spot.

gimmesix

Reaction score
With the 11 guys you like, there’s a -always a chance that one or more get nicked up in camp and start the year on the injury list allowing you to stash one.

Woods was a great find last year, and I think we’ll get reasonable results from Quinn & Co. at RE so long as Lawrence stays healthy and commands double teams. We need consistent production from the 3T for this defense to really take the next step.

Yes, depth is a good thing. We finished the year last year with Lawrence, Woods and Charlton all essentially toughing out injuries that needed surgery. And Collins has had injury troubles pretty much every year he's been here.

I've been hollering for getting a rock-star 3-tech for years (and I know I'm not the only one) because this defensive scheme has to have it. I don't know how the Hill pick will turn out, but I was glad to see we weren't satisfied with just rolling Crawford and Collins out there for another year as the 3-tech answer. They are good rotational players but nothing more.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yes, depth is a good thing. We finished the year last year with Lawrence, Woods and Charlton all essentially toughing out injuries that needed surgery. And Collins has had injury troubles pretty much every year he's been here.

I've been hollering for getting a rock-star 3-tech for years (and I know I'm not the only one) because this defensive scheme has to have it. I don't know how the Hill pick will turn out, but I was glad to see we weren't satisfied with just rolling Crawford and Collins out there for another year as the 3-tech answer. They are good rotational players but nothing more.
I really do expect Hill to have an impact in Dallas, right away. He might not start but I think he’s going to play early and often. The potential push he can get up the middle is far above what anyone else can give there.

It isn’t a complicated system to learn for DL players and his abilities were custom made for what Dallas does. I was thrilled to see someone with those traits finally in Dallas.

I’ll be interested to see how Armstrong has progressed from year one to year two. If he hasn’t made some significant strides, he will have a tougher time sticking this year. I do think he will have improved though.

If Jackson can slide down inside on passing downs like you mention, it’ll greatly improve his chances of sticking. IMO, he’ll render Hyder obsolete if he has that ability. I’m not convinced he can though.

Nice read man.

Kaiser

Reaction score
My prediction is we will end up keeping Lawrence, Quinn, Charlton, Armstrong, Crawford, Hyder, Woods, Collins, Covington and Hill, with Jackson and Wise going on the PS. My hope is that Jackson or Wise play at least equal to Charlton and Crawford and we can trade Charlton and/or Crawford for picks or players at other positions.

Totally agree with that but I don't think Taco is going anywhere.

I think there will be 50 threads saying Jackson, Jelks and Wise won't possibly clear waivers and go to the practice squad..... right before all three clear waivers and go to the practice squad.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Totally agree with that but I don't think Taco is going anywhere.

I think there will be 50 threads saying Jackson, Jelks and Wise won't possibly clear waivers and go to the practice squad..... right before all three clear waivers and go to the practice squad.

That seems to be the way that it works most of the time.

I do believe that Charlton will be given every chance to prove himself this preseason despite the acquisition of Quinn. With Lawrence like the miss at least most of the preseason, Charlton should get the starting nod at left end. If he doesn't and Crawford, Hyder or Armstrong start there instead that probably will tell us all we need to know about what the staff thinks of Taco.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry this one was so long. I might should have split it into DE and DT posts, but I wanted to keep the line together since we have several position flex players.

Not too long at all. We jave a lot of time to read it. Can take ones time. I read it all just now. Appreciate all of these analysis thread. And you keep them objective as well.
The mediots, or many of them can take a lesson from these threads.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have as my 10 the same as the OP. Ever since the draft these are the 10 I had.
I just do not see Jackson and Wise making the team, unless injuries or Covington or Hyder whiff as Kony Ealy did last year.
Or Hyder is not his 2016 form.

However this team sure seem to want to keep their 5th round DE projects they hype up. Only to be gone 2 years later. I hope this is not the case this year.

Not sure about trades, as we thought last year this DL could be deep, and trades were talked about. It happens every year, trades at deep positions but they never happen. And when released they are not picked up, or if they are, they don’t make a huge impact on their new team.

Wise as an UDFA everyone is so high one, but then again Woods made it last year and had an impact.

hendog86

Reaction score
I, as I’m sure all of us, appreciate your time and effort with these threads! Good work!!

gimmesix

Reaction score
I really do expect Hill to have an impact in Dallas, right away. He might not start but I think he’s going to play early and often. The potential push he can get up the middle is far above what anyone else can give there.

It isn’t a complicated system to learn for DL players and his abilities were custom made for what Dallas does. I was thrilled to see someone with those traits finally in Dallas.

I’ll be interested to see how Armstrong has progressed from year one to year two. If he hasn’t made some significant strides, he will have a tougher time sticking this year. I do think he will have improved though.

If Jackson can slide down inside on passing downs like you mention, it’ll greatly improve his chances of sticking. IMO, he’ll render Hyder obsolete if he has that ability. I’m not convinced he can though.

Nice read man.

I agree on Hill. I don't know how many plays he'll make, but just getting upfield and altering the play, making the QB move around will help create opportunities for others. I think his aggressiveness without a clear plan will be used against him some and at first, but it also will be an asset.

Jackson may need to spend a year adding some bulk to play inside. I don't feel like he'll ultimately end up playing end, at least not in pass rushing situations.

I hope to see Armstrong add to what he showed last preseason.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The way I see it, we have eight roster locks. D-Law, Quinn, Collins, Woods, Crawford, Covington, Hill and Taco are effectively your starters and are going to see probably 95% of the total snaps. If we carry ten DLs (haven't looked into the makeup of the 53 myself, but I'll take OP's word for it), that leaves 2 spots open. The eight starters listed above are made up of 5 DTs (counting Crawford as a DT) and 3 DEs, so I think we are going to either go with 2 DEs or 1 DE and a tweener.

Among the "best of the rest", Armstrong is probably the odds on favorite DE role, as he already cracked the rotation last year and his experience gives him a clear edge over the rookies. And my guess is either Hyder or Joe Jackson becomes your tweener.

Daniel Wise is a guy who I think has enough talent to make it, but he has 5 DTs firmly above him. His route to the 53 is either a mid-season injury at DT, or if we go long on DL and he takes Daniel Ross's job.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Not too long at all. We jave a lot of time to read it. Can take ones time. I read it all just now. Appreciate all of these analysis thread. And you keep them objective as well.
The mediots, or many of them can take a lesson from these threads.

Well, I am a journalist, which is supposed to mean that I'm objective, not that it always does. Of course, this is more subjective material so there's some leeway with it, while there should not be with news stories.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The way I see it, we have eight roster locks. D-Law, Quinn, Collins, Woods, Crawford, Covington, Hill and Taco are effectively your starters and are going to see probably 95% of the total snaps. If we carry ten DLs (haven't looked into the makeup of the 53 myself, but I'll take OP's word for it), that leaves 2 spots open. The eight starters listed above are made up of 5 DTs (counting Crawford as a DT) and 3 DEs, so I think we are going to either go with 2 DEs or 1 DE and a tweener.

Among the "best of the rest", Armstrong is probably the odds on favorite DE role, as he already cracked the rotation last year and his experience gives him a clear edge over the rookies. And my guess is either Hyder or Joe Jackson becomes your tweener.

Daniel Wise is a guy who I think has enough talent to make it, but he has 5 DTs firmly above him. His route to the 53 is either a mid-season injury at DT, or if we go long on DL and he takes Daniel Ross's job.

I hope I didn't make it seem like I'm too down on Charlton. I don't think he's a lock, but he's close to it. Someone will have to outplay him for his spot as he's at least a player who can take rotational snaps. If the non-locks you listed, Hyder, Jackson and Armstrong show more ability to get after the quarterback, then Charlton's job could be in jeopardy. The first-rounder will get every chance to prove himself, though, and it would be great if he did with Quinn on a one-year deal and Gregory's status always being iffy. Of course, I don't know if I really care who steps up to be the heir apparent at right end. If it is someone like Armstrong who makes that leap forward while Taco doesn't, I'm fine with that.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised that you think Armstrong would lose his spot. I can understand the rest, though, as I don't think Hyder is guaranteed a spot.
I honestly think Taco is the one who may not make it...but I cant see them cutting him.
trading him,tho...different story.
I like Armstrong but Im enamored with Joe Jackson....like his size.
maybe we go 6 at DE and only 4 inside.
as a whole...Im really excited about this group.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This would rewrite Dallas Cowboys defense:

Lawrence, Collins, (Sue), Hill, and Quinn

Add Sue for December on...

and this fan really wants to see what Covington and Crawford add in rotation this season.