Post-draft team analysis: DL

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
4.77 will do. And he's supposed to come with NFL ready power. I think we need more base DE than pass rushers anyway, particularly long term.

But I'm going to restrain myself here. We've had a string of mid round DEs who have yet to amount to anything. Ryan Russell. Charles Tapper. Dorance Armstrong.

That's the main reason I'm hesitant to really praise draft picks before we see them. I hold out hope that Armstrong will build on what he showed last year, but a lot of draft picks simply wash out, even as well as Dallas has been drafting the past few years.

I remember several members here being very excited that we got Bo Scarbrough in the seventh round last year, and Marquez White in the sixh the year before. For that matter, even Rod Marinelli was excited to get Joey Ivie in the seventh that year. Now unlike some others, I don't fault Marinelli for that excitement. The coaches understand that the probability is low for players like him to turn out to be major finds, but there's always hope.

Even with Hill, I'm glad that we've got Hyder, Covington, Collins and Crawford because it means we've at least got some solid proven players who can contribute at 3-tech if Hill needs some time to develop or just completely fails. There's always the possibility that Jackson or Jelks could turn out to be the best DL we took in this draft instead of Hill.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's the main reason I'm hesitant to really praise draft picks before we see them. I hold out hope that Armstrong will build on what he showed last year, but a lot of draft picks simply wash out, even as well as Dallas has been drafting the past few years.

I remember several members here being very excited that we got Bo Scarbrough in the seventh round last year, and Marquez White in the sixh the year before. For that matter, even Rod Marinelli was excited to get Joey Ivie in the seventh that year. Now unlike some others, I don't fault Marinelli for that excitement. The coaches understand that the probability is low for players like him to turn out to be major finds, but there's always hope.

Even with Hill, I'm glad that we've got Hyder, Covington, Collins and Crawford because it means we've at least got some solid proven players who can contribute at 3-tech if Hill needs some time to develop or just completely fails. There's always the possibility that Jackson or Jelks could turn out to be the best DL we took in this draft instead of Hill.
Yup. I love Hill's explosiveness, but he's not ready.

Jackson is a different type prospect than other mid rounders from our recent past. He has the skillset to be a high quality starter, prolly best as the "other" DE opposite DLaw.

What I'm hoping and praying is that we don't waste Hill's talent at NT.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I expect a lot from Armstrong. He lowkey generated pressure last year from what I remember

gimmesix

Reaction score
I expect a lot from Armstrong. He lowkey generated pressure last year from what I remember

I like him. He was solid in recognition and playing the run, but needed to do more with his pass-rushing during the regular season. He's got lots of good things to build off, though.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yup. I love Hill's explosiveness, but he's not ready.

Jackson is a different type prospect than other mid rounders from our recent past. He has the skillset to be a high quality starter, prolly best as the "other" DE opposite DLaw.

What I'm hoping and praying is that we don't waste Hill's talent at NT.

I can't see them putting him at NT unless he washes out as a 3-tech. Most of the talk about him from Dallas concerned his fit for the 3-tech spot.

kskboys

Reaction score
I can't see them putting him at NT unless he washes out as a 3-tech. Most of the talk about him from Dallas concerned his fit for the 3-tech spot.
IDK man, I hope you're right. We put both Ratliff and Collins on the nose, and both were 3 techs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
IDK man, I hope you're right. We put both Ratliff and Collins on the nose, and both were 3 techs.

Ratliff was put at NT in Phillips' 3-4, which allowed him to use his quickness to beat the center or force a double-team. The NT role in that defense was a little different than the NT role in this scheme. Ratliff was not ideally suited for it sizewise, but Phillips adapted it to his movement skills. That only happened, though, because Jason Ferguson got hurt. Ratliff took the the position, becoming a Pro Bowler and All-Pro, and there was no looking back.

Collins was put at NT because of Stephen Paea's injury and retirement, I believe, and the fact that we actually had Irving for a few games to play 3-tech. It was the best way to get both players on the field.

If we lose Woods to injury, then Covington would probably be forced to play NT full time. If we lost Covington, too, then it would be up to Ross and Hill. Neither of them are ideally suited for 1-tech. You've got to have a few moving parts, though, just in case something unexpected happens.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Starters: Robert Quinn, Maliek Collins, Antwaun Woods, DeMarcus Lawrence
Contenders: Taco Charlton, Tyrone Crawford, Christian Covington, Dorance Armstrong, Kerry Hyder, Trysten Hill, Daniel Ross, Joe Jackson, Jalen Jelks, Shakir Soto, Daniel Wise, Ricky Walker, Randy Gregory

Almost everything Dallas was forced to do on the defensive line this offseason begins with two failures. Randy Gregory was suspended indefinitely in February, forcing Dallas to seek pass-rushing help at right end, and David Irving's love for everything but football reached its sad but inevitable conclusion. Both players have proven to this point to be a waste of very good talent.

After spending most of his career suspended, Gregory finally got to play for a season last year and began showing what kind of pass rusher he could be as the season progressed. It was the type that Dallas has been hoping that first-round pick Taco Charlton would become, but right now Charlton is just a rotational, bit player who doesn't add much as a pass rusher. Maybe he will change that in his third season, but Dallas isn't counting on it, first taking a flier on Kerry Hyder to try to mitigate the loss of Gregory. Hyder was a find for Detroit in 2016, providing eight sacks primarily as a reserve. However, he missed the 2017 season with a torn Achilles and then didn't do much his first year back from it (one sack in seven games).

If Hyder recovers his form, he adds a pass rusher who has some thickness that will allow him to rotate in at end on run downs or even play inside as a pass rusher on passing downs. However, the Cowboys can't exactly just count on Hyder returned to 2016 form, so the team traded for Robert Quinn. Quinn at this point in his career is probably a better pressure player than Gregory (although Gregory could have passed him this year with continued development). He was once a 19-sack player, but hasn't come close to that number the past four years because of injuries. Last year (his first with Miami) was the first time he did not get 10-plus sacks when he played all 16 games for a team. However, the tape shows that he wins a lot more battles than his 6.5 sacks last year reflect in both pass and run defense. He's an active player who teams have to consistently account for, which is what we need opposite DeMarcus Lawrence.

Lawrence, our $105 million man, has been our main disruptive player on the line the last couple of years. He consistently gets into the backfield even with teams giving him extra attentions. The Rams' whole game plan in the playoffs was to force someone else on the line to make plays and it didn't happen enough, which is one of the reasons we needed to improve the line. It's hard to be a one-man wrecking crew, but too often Lawrence had to be one because we had other players who came up big sometimes, but weren't consistent with it. Lawrence has ended up carrying too much of the burden the last two years to the point that where the defense usually went as he went.

While Quinn and Lawrence should be expected to receive the bulk of the snaps, Dallas likes to have a good rotation, so in addition to Hyder, Dorance Armstrong and possibly Tyrone Crawford should be expected to contribute at end. Armstrong showed good run play and pass rush potential in the preseason and will be given opportunities to build on that as a reserve. Crawford plugs in wherever he's needed, so if our run defense at right end isn't stout enough, he'll be back out there. If he's needed on the inside as a pass rusher, he'll be used there and provide steady but not spectacular results. He's not a player you want starting, but he's a player you have to start if no one more talented steps up or because others can't stay healthy.

We also added a couple of young players in the draft, Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks, so this has become a crowded position, although position flex means some of the end candidates (Hyder, Crawford and probably Jackson) could end up with roles inside. Jackson had good college production at end, but his lack of a quick burst along with having pretty good size could result in a shift inside as a pass-rushing tackle. Jelks seems to be more of a project more likely to make the practice squad than stick on the 53 this year.

In addition to the three hybrids, Dallas made a couple other moves to make up for Irving being an idiot. First, after our run defense was gashed by the Rams, the Cowboys signed Christian Covington in free agency. Covington is a strong run defender, with a little pass rush ability, who we can line up next to Antwuan Woods on run downs. Woods was quite a find at 1-tech until injury affected his play in the playoffs. In addition to playing next to Woods in run defense, Covington will serve as the backup 1-tech.

How much Covington plays at 3-tech likely depends on two things: the health of Maliek Collins and the development of second-round pick Trysten Hill. Collins is not a great run defender despite his size, but he's OK at it while having enough quickness to his game to contribute some as a pass rusher. Hill looks like he could be better at both of those things because of great initial quickness along with some raw power. However, Hill is more the direct replacement for Irving both in terms of ability and concerns about character. If he'll take to coaching and allow his abilities to be directed properly, he could be a force. If he proves to be a malcontent when things don't go his way, then we still don't have the kind of 3-tech this defense needs.

A surprise at the position, though, could be Daniel Wise. He's more of a pass-rushing 3-tech than run-stopper, but does have some clear potential in that regard. So the good news is that we have a lot of players who could potentially make this line better than it was last year. The bad news is that we didn't add any players that we absolutely know will make the line better, although I do think Quinn and Covington are safe bets.

ROSTER PREDICTION: I'd like to keep 11, but I think 10 will be the limit. We've got four clear ends (Lawrence, Quinn, Charlton and Armstrong), three hybrids (Crawford, Hyder, Jackson) and four clear defensive tackles (Woods, Collins, Covington and Hill). I believe one of Charlton, Hyder and Jackson won't make the team. If Charlton doesn't step up this preseason, we could look to trade him at the end of camp to recoup any pick we could get. Hyder isn't being paid that much, so if he doesn't recover his form or others are simply as good or better, he could be the odd man out. Jackson is a late-round draft pick, so his fate, along with Wise's, could be a season on the practice squad. If Charlton, Hyder and Jackson all look great (or if Wise does instead of one of them), it could spell the end of Crawford's time on the roster because of his high salary.

My prediction is we will end up keeping Lawrence, Quinn, Charlton, Armstrong, Crawford, Hyder, Woods, Collins, Covington and Hill, with Jackson and Wise going on the PS. My hope is that Jackson or Wise play at least equal to Charlton and Crawford and we can trade Charlton and/or Crawford for picks or players at other positions.

It is quite the group. Barring injury a couple surprise cuts will definitely happen. Taco is not definitely making this team, especially if Gregory works out. I also bet the house Crawford is gone. Very interested to see how this evolves.