Post-draft team analysis: TE

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Starters: Jason Witten, Blake Jarwin
Contenders: Dalton Schultz, Rico Gathers, Codey McElroy

It says a lot about what this team thinks of its tight ends that a) it re-signed Jason Witten and b) it didn't really address the position beyond that. Now, it's possible the team would have brought back Witten even if it was totally satisfied with its other tight ends, simply because of who he is. But tight end was mentioned by Stephen Jones as a need before Witten came out of the broadcast booth to rejoin the team.

The reasons I think the team felt it needed someone like Witten is because of inconsistency shown by the other tight ends. Witten isn't a great blocking tight end, but he's a great blocker for a receiving tight end, and we were missing that last year. The second thing we were missing was having a tight end to serve as an outlet for Dak Prescott. We gave up 59 sacks last year, and on a lot of those, Prescott would look to throw and then pull the ball back or pat it again, not feeling comfortable with his options. Witten hasn't been a long-range option for years, but he's a reliable short-range option. I also don't think a year out of football is going to change that because his ability to find and create openings has not depended on speed in years. His understanding of how to play his position should improve the blocking and the ability of Prescott to get the ball out of his hands. Plus, he may benefit from defenses not being able to cheat as much toward short-range coverage because of the deeper threats Dallas has at receiver.

The question with Witten will be how much do the Cowboys play him. When he signed, there was mention of a 25-snap limit, but Jerry Jones seemed to indicate that he would be surprised if Witten limits himself to that. So if the coaches want to see if the other tight ends can step into Witten's shoes, then they will have to force Witten out of the game at times. The fact that Dallas didn't draft a tight end appears to be an indication that the team wants to see more of Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz. Each had moments last year where they shined so there is reason to look at them thoroughly before possibly seeking Witten's long-term replacement next year. Jarwin's 119-yard, 3-touchdown game against New York was indicative of his receiving skills and give him something to build off. However, although he can threaten all areas of the field as a receiver, he has to show more as a blocker. Schultz is cut more from the same cloth as Witten, so he needs to show reliability as an outlet and continue to develop his blocking skills.

Then, there's Rico Gathers. Gathers is probably the best blocker we have at the position when he locks onto a target. He has power to stop a defender in his tracks. He's also showed an ability to get open and (mostly) make catches. But his lack of knowledge of the game shows at times and makes the coaches wary of using him. I don't think the team trusts him enough to use him regularly, which means if a fourth tight end is kept, it probably would be Codey McElroy. McElroy's football experience is very similar to Gathers, although he did play one year at Southeastern Oklahoma. Before that, he was a baseball player, going to a high school that didn't have football, playing baseball in college (including a year at the University of Texas_ and even in the minor leagues. (He also spent a year at Oklahoma State as a basketball walk-on.) So, essentially Dallas would be replacing Rico with another Rico if McElroy made the team after spending last preseason with the Rams.

ROSTER PREDICTION: We go a little shorter at this position than we have been, keeping only Witten, Schultz and Jarwin and ending the Gathers experiment. However, we aren't done experimenting as McElroy makes the practice squad.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am hoping Witten comes off the field and they use Jarwin and Schultz more. Each was showing something last season. And needs more plays to develop. But neither one took over being the main guy, or was it Linehan and his scheme that kept it that way. Just when one shown flashes, they disappeared the next game, or it seemed.

Witten may help them with being more consistent if he is willing to let them play and help them.

I agree, time for the Rico experiment to end. As the only keep 3 TE's this season. I guess it depends on how Rico shows progression in TC also. And McElroy to the PS unless they can pick up a better TE from the waivers. Next year, they draft a TE for sure.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Like the series Six. I watched the last part of the season and the TEs were playing well...I saw solid blocking, catches down the seam and run after catch. What I didn't see was false starts, holding penalties and catch n fall tactics...that was refreshing.

All Jarwin n Shultz need are more snaps, but it's good Witten is back to push them. I'm for a committee, like last year, not a one man show.

I think they keep 3 TEs if no veteran is signed before camp. Jarwin, Shultz n Witten should be ok. #89 n #86 should improve physically and chemistry-wise with the QB, so no worries at TE.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Like the series Six. I watched the last part of the season and the TEs were playing well...I saw solid blocking, catches down the seam and run after catch. What I didn't see was false starts, holding penalties and catch n fall tactics...that was refreshing.

All Jarwin n Shultz need are more snaps, but it's good Witten is back to push them. I'm for a committee, like last year, not a one man show.

I think they keep 3 TEs if no veteran is signed before camp. Jarwin, Shultz n Witten should be ok. #89 n #86 should improve physically and chemistry-wise with the QB, so no worries at TE.

There were certainly progressing, which is why I wasn't really that concerned about the tight end position this year. I wanted to see how they developed first before having to use an early pick to find a starter. Witten returning gives us some cushion in case they take a step back, but it does concern me that they might let him just stay on the field as long as he wants. He's a Hall of Famer and deserves respect, but he's also on a one-year deal and is wrapping up his career. We need to see if either of these guys can replace him as the starter.

I am curious how much two-tight end we'll run with Moore as OC. Not sure if Moore is a fan of it or if Garrett will demand using it. If we use it less, it will be more difficult for Jarwin and Schultz to prove that they should start.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I am hoping Witten comes off the field and they use Jarwin and Schultz more. Each was showing something last season. And needs more plays to develop. But neither one took over being the main guy, or was it Linehan and his scheme that kept it that way. Just when one shown flashes, they disappeared the next game, or it seemed.

Both were showing development, but need to be more consistent with their blocking and routes. The way I see it is that Jarwin will get more playing time as a receiver and Schultz more as a blocker. So we might have Witten either go out in a pattern or be the one who stays in and blocks, letting each of the young guys play more to their strengths. I don't think that will be an all-the-time formula as it would tip off the defense on pass plays, but I think that will be the majority pattern, if we use much two-tight end.

Knotamus

Reaction score
If we are going to evaluate our young TEs properly, we need to take into account they barely received any snaps through the first eight games (Shultz almost received no snaps). Based on their very limited experience, it’s understandable why they didn’t contribute more early on. That said, Jarwin and Shultz only looked inconsistent trough the last half of the season, but steadily showed improvement when they were given more playing time. Both finished strong and Jarwin exploded the last game of the season. He also caught every target throw to him in the postseason. My point.. As much as some wanted a new (toy) player to drool over, I’m excited just the same to see their development year 2 with a full offseason to get stronger and acclimate themselves more into the offense.

I not sure why people are so upset ab Witten returning. Yeah, I get he’s not what he used to be.. but his experience and capacity to identify defenses is invaluable. He will be productive and at this point in his career.. I’m sure he realizes his limitations. I personally believe he will be a coach on the field (ala Sean Lee) for the younger TEs on this team. I also believe the broadcasting booth wasn’t for him and he’s preparing himself for life after football as a coach. One thing that’s undeniable, Witten loves football including the atmosphere that comes along with it. He also recognizes the talent on this team, so latching on to his old team for one last run and doing whatever it takes to help is all he could ask for.

I truely believe we’ll see a different offense under Moore’s guidance and Witten will have to get used to it. Witten will get he’s snaps, but he won’t be getting 95% of the snaps like the past. He knows this, hence the reduced salary he signed. Much like Sean Lee, both men are students of the game. Both still can contribute, both prob at a high level at times, but they realize they are on the back 9 of thier careers.. it’s all about winning at this point. And I for one, would love for both of them to go out with a SB ring. Go Cowboys!

Side note:
I posted this on another thread if anyone is interested in seeing the snap counts of players last year.
https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-dal-6.php

Notice I didn’t mention Rico because I don’t expect much if anything from him. I know he was raw when we drafted from him, but at this point I expected to see more from him.

I will say.. I don’t expect him to make the team, but he would be a pleasant surprise break out player that no one is talking about. Not getting my hopes up at all, but it would be a great story.

Last edited:

GenoT

Reaction score

Witten may help them with being more consistent if he is willing to let them play and help them.

I agree, time for the Rico experiment to end. As the only keep 3 TE's this season. I guess it depends on how Rico shows progression in TC also. And McElroy to the PS unless they can pick up a better TE from the waivers. Next year, they draft a TE for sure.
Agree that Jarwin and Schultz need to develop, but they’re still gonna hafta earn their reps.

It’s the coaches who decide who plays — not Witten. If these guys can’t beat out a 37yo who’s been out of the game for a year, maybe they aren’t the answer at TE.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Jarwin and Schultz are going to be our TE's after Witten retires for a second time ?

Dang , thats not good.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Jarwin and Schultz are going to be our TE's after Witten retires for a second time ?

Probably not. But I think we should take this opportunity to find out before we have to spend a first-round pick on the position.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Probably not. But I think we should take this opportunity to find out before we have to spend a first-round pick on the position.

Yep .
You remember how we spent several draft picks on TE's in years past ?

Its the only position we haven't had success (except of course for witten) .

gimmesix

Reaction score
If we are going to evaluate our young TEs properly, we need to take into account they barely received any snaps through the first eight games (Shultz almost received no snaps). Based on their very limited experience, it’s understandable why they didn’t contribute more early on. That said, Jarwin and Shultz only looked inconsistent trough the last half of the season, but steadily showed improvement when they were given more playing time. Both finished strong and Jarwin exploded the last game of the season. He also caught every target throw to him in the postseason. My point.. As much as some wanted a new (toy) player to drool over, I’m excited just the same to see their development year 2 with a full offseason to get stronger and acclimate themselves more into the offense.

At the beginning of the year, Swaim was healthy while Schultz was just getting started as a rookie, so Swaim was the primary tight end. Jarwin was the second tight end, though, and just wasn't living up the the hype he had received. The opportunities were there for him to show that he was better than Swaim and take over as the lead TE.

He and Schultz started to come on, but we probably still wouldn't have seen them as much as we needed to if Swaim had stayed healthy. That's my main concern with Witten. If they are just not on the Hall of Famer's level at this point in his career, then I can live with Witten getting the majority of the snaps and us going fishing for a tight end in the offseason. I just don't want the staff to stick with Witten because they are comfortable with him. If they feel these tight ends on a similar level to what Witten is now and could possible be more, then they need to make a concerted effort to give them playing time.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yep .
You remember how we spent several draft picks on TE's in years past ?

Its the only position we haven't had success (except of course for witten) .

Martellus Bennett had a few good years after he left the Cowboys, so did Anthony Fasano. They were just both stuck behind a legend of the game. I know they often get looked at as examples of why we shouldn't use a second-round pick on a tight end, but really the only one of those who has completely failed is Gavin Escobar. Bennett had a 90-catch season with Chicago. He had a seven-touchdown season with New England. Fasano never put up those kind of numbers, but he was pretty solid for Miami.

Knotamus

Reaction score

Dang , thats not good.

Not good.. why? Based on their first full seasons. Have you checked out what Witten did his first season? Jarwin’s year end stats look similar to Witten’s first year. Dalton was a 4th Rd’er that barely got on the field till late in the season.

The fact is, TE’s typically don’t break out their rookie seasons. They typically take a couple of seasons to break out.. just look up the top TEs from last year. Ertz, Kelce, and Kittle all had very average rookie seasons. Maybe it’s because college football dosent place the emphasis on TEs to block like the NFL does, maybe it’s bc they’re not strong enough, or maybe in the NFL the TE is asked to do more than just block or just run a seam route. The Cowboys emphasizes a well rounded TE (or do all) and they skill set is harder to transition from college to the Pros. It’s very plausible that Jarwin and/or Schultz take a big step year 2 after a full offseason and proven veteran leadership.

Besides, what’s the alternative? Trade for a high priced veteran? Possibly, but not realistic or cap smart considering the other players Dallas needs to sign. Draft another 4th Rd’er a year after doing just that? By the time Dallas picked at 58, the top three TEs had already been picked leaving nothing but a bunch of mid round grade TEs. They wouldn’t have made a difference this year and folks would have been crying ab how inexperienced our TEs were.. smh. The Cowboys were in a “ *** if they do, **** if they don’t” predicament. And god knows what this board would have done had they passed up drafting a Safety to draft a TE at 58. Atleast Dallas drafted a 3T that looks like he’ll make a real difference on our DL.

Knotamus

Reaction score
. Jarwin was the second tight end, though, and just wasn't living up the the hype he had received. The opportunities were there for him to show that he was better than Swaim and take over as the lead TE.

He and Schultz started to come on... I just don't want the staff to stick with Witten because they are comfortable with him. If they feel these tight ends on a similar level to what Witten is now and could possible be more, then they need to make a concerted effort to give them playing time.

To be fair, Jarwin was on the Practice Squad his first season and didn’t even sniff the field, so essentially it was his first year along with Schultz.

If we want to debate that Dallas wasn’t prepared at TE to start the season last year, I listen. But I’m not sure they were prepared for both Hanna and Witten to retire either. I’m just thankful they didn’t have a knee jerk reaction and make a ridiculous trade for a TE, like they’ve proven they were willing to do at Wr. (Ala Joey Galloway, Roy Williams)

We both agree with your last statement about Witten. He doesn’t need to be the main focus at TE. I personally believe based on his contract, the team and Witten both understand the importance of developing our current TEs. At the very least, Dallas needs to know what they have in Jarwin and Schultz. Resigning Witten to use as a safety net and/or coach on the field is the idea. Reigning in Witten drive will be a different story throughout the season. But let’s remember, Dallas’s Offense is going to look different this year under Moore, has added a ton of WRs, and a true scat back in Pollard.. so there are only going to be so many balls to go around.

Most people are hung up on how Witten dominated the position in the past. The coaches actually did try to run other TEs on the field and Witten would run them right back off. I don’t see that happening again this year. He’s contract indicates that he understands he not going to be ‘the only guy’.. his health and physical limitations will remind him of that. Mentally, I’m sure he’ll still bring that fire that he’s know for.. I wouldn’t be upset if this resonates with Jarwin and Schultz.