Post-draft team analysis: TE

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Not good.. why? Based on their first full seasons. Have you checked out what Witten did his first season? Jarwin’s year end stats look similar to Witten’s first year. Dalton was a 4th Rd’er that barely got on the field till late in the season.

The fact is, TE’s typically don’t break out their rookie seasons. They typically take a couple of seasons to break out.. just look up the top TEs from last year. Ertz, Kelce, and Kittle all had very average rookie seasons. Maybe it’s because college football dosent place the emphasis on TEs to block like the NFL does, maybe it’s bc they’re not strong enough, or maybe in the NFL the TE is asked to do more than just block or just run a seam route. The Cowboys emphasizes a well rounded TE (or do all) and they skill set is harder to transition from college to the Pros. It’s very plausible that Jarwin and/or Schultz take a big step year 2 after a full offseason and proven veteran leadership.

Besides, what’s the alternative? Trade for a high priced veteran? Possibly, but not realistic or cap smart considering the other players Dallas needs to sign. Draft another 4th Rd’er a year after doing just that? By the time Dallas picked at 58, the top three TEs had already been picked leaving nothing but a bunch of mid round grade TEs. They wouldn’t have made a difference this year and folks would have been crying ab how inexperienced our TEs were.. smh. The Cowboys were in a “ *** if they do, **** if they don’t” predicament. And god knows what this board would have done had they passed up drafting a Safety to draft a TE at 58. Atleast Dallas drafted a 3T that looks like he’ll make a real difference on our DL.

I hope you're right ,
I hope Jarwin can be a good (not great or HOF) TE in two years.
I'll be fine if he doesn't drop balls , he doesn't need much YACs to be a safety blanket.