Post Draft Thoughts / Analysis

cnuball21

Reaction score
Another draft is in the books! My initial thoughts are very positive, and I think overall we did a great job of leveraging the strengths of the draft to get quality value.

I think the LVE pick was a bit of a reach for need, but it was a glaring need AND the team felt good about getting quality talent at OL/WR and they were able to do so in Williams and Gallup both of whom are considered top 50 talents by some evaluators.

Armstrong is probably the most intriguing to me, as he wasn't a visitor, but he could end up being a steal if he's more of the player on film from 2016 rather than 2017.

LOVE the Austin trade...the dude is electric and it's just a matter of our coaches being creative and having a plan for him. We saw Dunbar have some success as a scat back and Austin is even more explosive.

Not a big fan of the Ward trade...we needed a DT that is strong against the run and it looks like we added another 3T that is more of a pass rusher.

The Realist

Reaction score
Another draft is in the books! My initial thoughts are very positive, and I think overall we did a great job of leveraging the strengths of the draft to get quality value.

I think the LVE pick was a bit of a reach for need, but it was a glaring need AND the team felt good about getting quality talent at OL/WR and they were able to do so in Williams and Gallup both of whom are considered top 50 talents by some evaluators.

Armstrong is probably the most intriguing to me, as he wasn't a visitor, but he could end up being a steal if he's more of the player on film from 2016 rather than 2017.

LOVE the Austin trade...the dude is electric and it's just a matter of our coaches being creative and having a plan for him. We saw Dunbar have some success as a scat back and Austin is even more explosive.

Not a big fan of the Ward trade...we needed a DT that is strong against the run and it looks like we added another 3T that is more of a pass rusher.

Ward is not a pass rusher, but let’s pretend he is. Besides QB play what’s more important than rushing the passer? He’ll be backing up Irving and Collins inside.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ward is not a pass rusher, but let’s pretend he is. Besides QB play what’s more important than rushing the passer? He’ll be backing up Irving and Collins inside.

I understand the importance of pass rush, but if you can’t stop the run it’s pointless. Teams will always be looking at 3rd and short and the QB will do a quick pass to negate the pass rush.

We need DTs that can actually impact the running game for a change and I don’t see award as that guy.

Mr_437

Reaction score
You don't trade a 4th round pick th next draft. Trading Switzer was strange an questionable. I don't think Ward has a position n DAL. Ward is too small for 1Tech an 3Tech is fully stocked already. Looks like a bad trade, but we'll see.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
This is going to be an interesting year.
Marinelli has made his bed with no talent at the 1DT position.
The Giants (Barkley) and Commanders (Guice) added dynamic ball carriers to the NFCE that we will see four times each year.
If this defense gets ran all over, I hope Marinelli is held accountable.
By the same token, if his scheme is able to hold these running backs in check, he deserves all the credit in the world.
My fear is, the Cowboys won’t be able to stop the run up the middle just like in years past and it will cost them dearly.

Verdammung

Reaction score
You can do so much with Austin to make him an effective gadget player.
  • Off Line Receiver - Screens, Vertical Routes.
  • End Around Motion - End Around, Fake End Around RB Dive, Play Action Flat Route, Play Action Wheel Route.
  • Motion Bunched - Mainly a drag route, but you can run others.
  • Backfield - Flat Routes, Tosses, Power Runs, Draws, Screens.
All you need is a playercaller who is willing to mix things up so the defense can't predict what's about to happen. So yeah, this will be a bust.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Giants (Barkley) and Commanders (Guice) added dynamic ball carriers to the NFCE that we will see four times each year.
By the same token, if his scheme is able to hold these running backs in check, he deserves all the credit in the world.
My fear is, the Cowboys won’t be able to stop the run up the middle just like in years past and it will cost them dearly.

Yep. I'm just glad the Giants didn't get a franchise QB with their #2 pick, but New York and Washington both added some big pieces to run the ball and stop the run.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You can do so much with Austin to make him an effective gadget player.
  • Off Line Receiver - Screens, Vertical Routes.
  • End Around Motion - End Around, Fake End Around RB Dive, Play Action Flat Route, Play Action Wheel Route.
  • Motion Bunched - Mainly a drag route, but you can run others.
  • Backfield - Flat Routes, Tosses, Power Runs, Draws, Screens.
All you need is a playercaller who is willing to mix things up so the defense can't predict what's about to happen. So yeah, this will be a bust.

I've been an irrationally big Tavon Austin fanboy for a long time, I think ever since he put up that fluky 10 TD season scoring in all kinds of different ways. I always thought the thing that held him back was Fisher's godawful offense, and he'd explode if he ever went to a creative OC. Well guess what - he ended up in Dallas.

TooTall22

Reaction score
I've been an irrationally big Tavon Austin fanboy for a long time, I think ever since he put up that fluky 10 TD season scoring in all kinds of different ways. I always thought the thing that held him back was Fisher's godawful offense, and he'd explode if he ever went to a creative OC. Well guess what - he ended up in Dallas.

Ditto, I have been a big fan since watching him in College. So the 2 trades, a 4th round player and a 6th round draft pick for a former #1 and a former #2. If this had been New England making these deals there would be a lovefest for Behlichek for 'doing it again'

Verdict

Reaction score

That's the main reason I'm not nutting out overLVE. I think he could be a thumper in the middle in the run game eventually.

cnuball21

Reaction score

This is exactly my concern.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You don't trade a 4th round pick th next draft. Trading Switzer was strange an questionable. I don't think Ward has a position n DAL. Ward is too small for 1Tech an 3Tech is fully stocked already. Looks like a bad trade, but we'll see.
Dallas employs 2 3T guys about 60% of the time.
That's why they do not value 1T much. Guy simply isn't getting a ton of snaps unless he is really a 3T type too.
Dallas plays a lot of snaps with a RDE inside and 3T over the NT spot.

Marinelli likes depth and to rotate dudes.
Jihad Ward was a good add to the DL where we didn'tt see a draft value.
He's 23.

I liked Switzer but he was just a returner here.
They added Austin because he can actually play out of the back field and carry the ball some.
That made Switzer redundant and let him rejoin Bisaccia who loves him.
This is a win-win.

timb2

Reaction score
I like most everything,but I do not like 4th round pick Dorance Armstrong from Kansas. I believe maybe they got locked into only the Big 12 for this pick or Jerry talked to that idiot Dave Campo who was the defensive coordinator before for Kansas and Dave Dumbo heaped praise on Armstrong as a can't miss. I am calling it. ARMSTRONG IS A MISS!!

Everything else I am OK with even the trades. Austin personally can be a pain but he can score at anytime with other weapons out there. ....I don't like losing Ryan Switzer,but if Marinelli can get Jihad Ward motivated we might have a steal. Look at Ward's highlights at Illinois. He can be a force if he wants to be.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I like most everything,but I do not like 4th round pick Dorance Armstrong from Kansas. I believe maybe they got locked into only the Big 12 for this pick or Jerry talked to that idiot Dave Campo who was the defensive coordinator before for Kansas and Dave Dumbo heaped praise on Armstrong as a can't miss. I am calling it. ARMSTRONG IS A MISS!!

Everything else I am OK with even the trades. Austin personally can be a pain but he can score at anytime with other weapons out there. ....I don't like losing Ryan Switzer,but if Marinelli can get Jihad Ward motivated we might have a steal. Look at Ward's highlights at Illinois. He can be a force if he wants to be.
Similiar to last year when we drafted the DL from Colorado. I think Jeffcoat is a coach on that team.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dallas employs 2 3T guys about 60% of the time.
That's why they do not value 1T much. Guy simply isn't getting a ton of snaps unless he is really a 3T type too.
Dallas plays a lot of snaps with a RDE inside and 3T over the NT spot.

Marinelli likes depth and to rotate dudes.
Jihad Ward was a good add to the DL where we didn'tt see a draft value.
He's 23.

I liked Switzer but he was just a returner here.
They added Austin because he can actually play out of the back field and carry the ball some.
That made Switzer redundant and let him rejoin Bisaccia who loves him.
This is a win-win.

If Rodneants 2 3Ts starting that’s fine, but can we at least get some that are stout against the run?

We don’t have a dude on the roster who is a stud at anchorage against and impacting the running game.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
OMG.....please stop with the 1 Tech. We are an excellent team vs. the run game. If we struggled stopping the run like Washington and NY this past year, then we'd be looking at 1 Tech, but we don't have a problem there unless everyone is injured in the front 7.

visionary

Reaction score

It is the job of the GM to listen to the coaches but do what is in the best interest of the team

I would have fired Marinelli yesterday but the issue is that our GM had no idea how to build a team

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a big fan of the Ward trade
That was a great trade. The Cowboys traded a player who probably wouldn't make the 53 for a player who was the 44th pick in the draft. BTW the Cowboys coaching him at the senior bowl that year.

All off season people are banging the Cowboys for not trading players and when they do trade and pull off a good one, they still get banged.