Post Draft Thoughts / Analysis

jay94

Reaction score
We don't seem to like 1 tech's for what ever the reason.

visionary

Reaction score
That was a great trade. The Cowboys traded a player who probably wouldn't make the 53 for a player who was the 44th pick in the draft. BTW the Cowboys coaching him at the senior bowl that year.

All off season people are banging the Cowboys for not trading players and when they do trade and pull off a good one, they still get banged.

If you have a long long long history of making stupid decisions you will get 'banged' (and rightfully so) until you prove that many of your decisions are the correct ones, esp if you have largely the same people making the decisions

Not sure what is wrong with that
That is common sense

Number1

Reaction score
Hey, Osborne looks like a real deal D1, so does Robinson at S ... so they are an undrafted FAs ... like Leary, watch the tape - they can play.

I'll lay money he makes game 44 man roster and makes plays in the rotation.

As far as the draftees are concerned: the first 3 are playmakers with pro bowl level talent. The rest look very dicey.

I'll give the a B for the draft / offseason so far.

And an A for the FAs, Kony, Flemming, Olawale, Hurns, and Austin solve many issues. and all cap friendly.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I think this off-season has been incredible honestly, and the season boils down to coaching and availability.

Offensively
Healthy Tyron Smith and Zeke staying out of trouble add another 2 wins to the 9-7 team last year.

WR who can creating space on their own vs hope plays like Dez jump balls, and hopefully we have a TE who can have a route tree that extends past 10 yards should open things up in the middle of the field.

All of this should help Dak.

Defensively
The pass rush if we can get the same from Lawrence, and Taco as a rotational LE and/ base RE. You add Kony Ealy as a pass rusher from RE you have two solid pass rushers on the edges. DT Irving can get to the QB from the middle and really cause havoc but he needs to stay available as well. You get anything from Gregory and/ Tapper you have one of the deepest rotations for pass rushers from the end spot in the NFL.

LB is the one question mark I have and that will fall on availability of Lee, Jaylon's progression, and how LVE fulfills the Cowboys evaluations.

CB with Byron Jones there at IMO his natural position and another year for Lewis, and Awuzie this CB group has potential especially with a solid pass rush.

S spot is another question mark, but Woods moving to FS his natural position, and battle for the SS spot this group should be okay again if the pass rush gets the job done.

Overall
The coaching staff needs to draw up the plays offensively to get these guys going, but I honestly think this is the making of the most well rounded offense we have had here in a very, very long time.

Defensively some question but if we can bring the pass rush consistently and dominate the time of possession all of that should be taken care.

Last edited:

jay94

Reaction score
Banking on Tyron being healthy is likely a pipe dream after his recent years and repeating back issues, I hope he can be, but I have my doubts.

DanA

Reaction score
It's super frustrating to me that the two major weaknesses (Safety and 1T) that weren't addressed in the draft have quality free agents available and we're not looking at them.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's super frustrating to me that the two major weaknesses (Safety and 1T) that weren't addressed in the draft have quality free agents available and we're not looking at them.

Well if we struggle against the run again we’ll know why.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
There's gotta be some reason why guys like Reid, Vaccaro and Hankins are still on the market.