CFZ Post-draft thoughts

starfan1

Reaction score
I’m not sure how Fehoko fits in and I’m not exactly upset with the decision. Certainly I like the look of the player. But we lost Ridgeway, Hill and Basham last season because the room was stacked. It looks like that’ll almost certainly happen again.
All nobody’s it’s called purging and improving roster

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I am very happy that the middle of the defense was addressed. We can--no, will--have an elite defensive unit this year. I want to add a kicker that won't poop the bed when it counts. Problem is, kickers are like relief pitchers in baseball. There are those few who are consistent from year to year, and the many who are year to year head cases.

I am not happy that we passed on O'Cyrus Torrence. There are some here that believe we have good depth on the O-line. I am not one of them. We should be drafting o-line every year. Andy Reid took that philosophy to Philly and KC and it shows, as both teams always have top rated lines. A top O-line is where the offense starts. Philly's O-line was the real SB MVP when they won, and KC the past SB was able to dismantle Philly's D in the second half because the O-line kept Philly's defensive front from getting to Mahomes.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I am very happy that the middle of the defense was addressed. We can--no, will--have an elite defensive unit this year. I want to add a kicker that won't poop the bed when it counts. Problem is, kickers are like relief pitchers in baseball. There are those few who are consistent from year to year, and the many who are year to year head cases.

I am not happy that we passed on O'Cyrus Torrence. There are some here that believe we have good depth on the O-line. I am not one of them. We should be drafting o-line every year. Andy Reid took that philosophy to Philly and KC and it shows, as both teams always have top rated lines. A top O-line is where the offense starts. Philly's O-line was the real SB MVP when they won, and KC the past SB was able to dismantle Philly's D in the second half because the O-line kept Philly's defensive front from getting to Mahomes.
I also wish Torrence was in the discussion at 58, I guess the feeling was he was just too slow and would struggle to get to the 2nd level. It sounds like the 2nd choice was between Tucker Kraft and Schoonmaker.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m not sure how Fehoko fits in and I’m not exactly upset with the decision. Certainly I like the look of the player. But we lost Ridgeway, Hill and Basham last season because the room was stacked. It looks like that’ll almost certainly happen again.
From I have seen Fehoko is going to be more of an interior player. Im not sure if that is full time or as base down DE that kicks inside on passing downs. Ive seen report that said he will be a 3T in 2024 and one that said he play DE and DT this year. Both could right. He probably has to put in 15 pounds to be a full time 3T.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Gilmore IMO is the biggest addition to the team. Let's hope he has one more good year before looking like an old CB. That along with having Hankins and Mazi at DT for a full season will keep the defense in the top 10 and hopefully much improved in some metrics. Offensively adding Cooks at WR is huge. To me, it comes down to the OL and the QB not turning the ball over. Philly is still the favorite in the division, but Dallas will be in the hunt and challenge them. Both teams will finish with 11+ wins.

I agree with you. In fact, I could see both Dallas and Philly finishing with 12 wins. It's just a question of who wins the key tiebreaker.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good analysis.

My top two favorite players in this draft are my boy Overshown (As a UT alumni I might be biased here, LOL) and Duece "Mighty Mouse" Vaughn.

My only complaint is going with the TE in the 2nd round when O'Cyrus was still on the board...........Outside of that, I got no problem with any of the other selections.

Same here, though, I do think Schoonmacher will be a good addition. At least he's not the gamble that Jerry normally takes in round 2.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I worry about 3 tech and linebacker on defense. On offense I worry about LG.

I understand that they hope to move Fahoko to 3 tech eventually but Osa and Gholston are the only ones we have unless they want to put Galimore back at 3. I think they should and probably will release him..

At LB Vander Esch and Clark are both guys with serious injury pasts. Overshown will take time to develop and will probably end up a S/LB hybrid.. Jabril Cox has done nothing.

LG has been discussed plenty. There is no need to rehash it.

I think LB is going to be fine, and it sounds like Fehoko might become our 3T.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What I really like is the clear roles the additions have.
  • Gilmore fixes the no.2 CB that was picked on all last season
  • Mazi fixes the run game and obvious 1-tech related issues
  • Overshown gives us a coverage LB we’ve lacked complimenting Clarke and LVE
  • Schoonmaker adds to the TE room after losing Schultz and is probably the best blocker immediately
  • Cooks gives us a genuine no.2 with a different skill set (speed) to other guys in the room.
  • Vaughn as a web back type weapon should see snaps
  • Asim Richards add competition/depth at LG
It might not be perfect, apparently we were debating a LG (Bergeron) round 1 and I’d have rather a better short yardage back than the options we have but you can see for the most part how it all fits together.

I think Luepke solves the short yardage situation, so I think we have addressed that, if he makes the team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No QB ? Many good options existed, but it is baffling how jerry and the FO feel dak is the only answer going forward. An injury, interception prone QB who is on the decline by all metrics. There were many talented QBs available but the FO never bothered.

No left tackle ? another area of concern.

I think next year might be when they do it. It's a better draft class next year for QBs. I presume Asim Richards is someone they are going to see if he can handle either T or Guard. Remember, if needed, Tyler Smith can play LT.

75boyz

Reaction score
My opinions:
That Mazi Smith does possess the ability to perform at a dominant in his prime Snacks Harrison type level and not an underachieving DT who is trying to be another quicktwitch 3T but with 1T size.
Schoonmaker, ridiculous. Can he be better than Ferguson I guess? Not a high bar to surpass here as a 25 yr old 2nd rounder.
Overshown- eventual Kearse replacement I assume.
Rounds 4 thru 7 are anything we can get as rotational contributors really. Not high on the DB or OG.
Vaughn as a gadget/specialty Lance Dunbar role player I guess.
The SC wide out I'll hold out hope for as Tolbert, and Fehoko and Houston are jags at best.

If they exceed these minimal expectations then I "guess" there is some way to interpret this draft as a success if for depth reasons only.

And that sure sounds like the infamous 2009 special teams draft, lol.

visionary

Reaction score
I think issue 2 was solved tbh with Vaughn.
Vaughn is a number 3 at best not number 2
There is no way Pollard will make it through 17 games and playoffs as the starter and we saw what happened when he went down against the niners
Dak cannot function consistently without a top run game
Our number 2 RB had to be starting caliber and that’s not Davis or Jones

Satchel89

Reaction score
Well, another year, and another draft has concluded. The Cowboys have made the draft picks, and the FO is now acquiring camp challengers to see who they think can make the team and do great things. So, I'm going to give my thoughts on the draft and where I would like them to go from here.

I am delighted with our first pick. Our run defence has been a drag on our team. It's been an eyesore that's been here since Ratliff decided that he didn't like Jerry Jones anymore. So, Mazi Smith fits the position that we need, and I absolutely love the pick.

I've warmed up to our second pick. We needed another Te, we got one. Next!

I really like a lot of our later picks. I think Overshown, Fehoko, and Vaughn are excellent picks. Overshown, because now we have a heat-seeking missile at LB who is likely going to be a younger version of Kearse. Fehoko because one can never have too many pass rushers, and Vaughn because of his similarities to Sproles. I also like the Asim Richards pick. I think he and Waletzco will make good depth.

The biggest thing from the draft that I think is a massive need is kicker. More on that in a moment (if you've seen my threads on kickers, I think you know where this is going).

Overall, I'd give this draft a B+. It wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't the worst. It has some very good choices, and a few picks that we will see how they develop.

I also like what I've seen so far at UDFA. I like the WRs we are bringing in. This is a good thing. I think one of the best ways to find a good WR is to cast a wide net, and let the competition show it. This is where I think my first suggestion comes in. Earlier, I made a thread about a Canadian WR named Jevon Cottoy from the BC Lions. Essentially, I think he's a WR who, at 6'5", would give us a wide range to throw. He's been a standout in the CFL, from what I've seen. I think he's worth a try out at TC.

I also like that we seem to be bringing in a few olinemen. Might as well keep that churning. I think training camp will be fun this year. Especially at WR and oline.

Now, we come to kicker. This is a spot that I'm not excited to watch. Maher is probably done. I can see Crosby being brought in, but I'd like to see an actual competition here. Enter, you guessed it, some kickers I like from the Japanese League. I'm not going to go into full details here like I did on another thread, but I'm particularly interested in Koji Nasho (https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players). Essentially, he's a kicker who just won a championship with a team in the Japanese X-League. From what I've seen, he seems consistent and has a good leg. His lone FG attempt in the game that I saw was a beautiful kick. Given the nature of their league, he has to be comfortable kicking in grass, turf, and even a baseball/football dual use turf. Yet, the kickers there, including Nasho, seen very accurate and have massive legs. I think Nasho should be brought to camp. Wouldn't be the first time we used a foreigner at kicker, and I think it's time we got a little creative trying to find a kicker.

I'm also a tad nervous about QB. I like Dak a lot, and I've been very supportive of him and will continue to do so. However, I think he has to protect the ball better. We have almost the perfect defence. I like what our offense is building into, and I think the WCO suits him. He just needs to protect the ball. He used to be good at that, but last year was not good from him. If he can drive the bus, score points, and not turn it over, I think this team can do great things.

Overall, I'm actually optimistic about our draft. I think it's been a decent draft. However, Dak has to control the ball and just drive the bus, and we need a kicker battle. I'm excited to watch the. WR battle as well. Should be a fun TC.
I like some of the Undrafted Free Agents too....Few of those guys have a shot. I like Luepke, The fullback. Just a guy they can do different stuff with. We will see....All the "Experts" give out their Draft Grades but who knows how any of these players will work out. At any rate, They addressed some needs and let's see what happens

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Vaughn is a number 3 at best not number 2
There is no way Pollard will make it through 17 games and playoffs as the starter and we saw what happened when he went down against the niners
Dak cannot function consistently without a top run game
Our number 2 RB had to be starting caliber and that’s not Davis or Jones
Perhaps Malik Davis?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like some of the Undrafted Free Agents too....Few of those guys have a shot. I like Luepke, The fullback. Just a guy they can do different stuff with. We will see....All the "Experts" give out their Draft Grades but who knows how any of these players will work out. At any rate, They addressed some needs and let's see what happens

Yes, OTAs will probably be our first look at them. Should be fun.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well, another year, and another draft has concluded. The Cowboys have made the draft picks, and the FO is now acquiring camp challengers to see who they think can make the team and do great things. So, I'm going to give my thoughts on the draft and where I would like them to go from here.

I am delighted with our first pick. Our run defence has been a drag on our team. It's been an eyesore that's been here since Ratliff decided that he didn't like Jerry Jones anymore. So, Mazi Smith fits the position that we need, and I absolutely love the pick.

I've warmed up to our second pick. We needed another Te, we got one. Next!

I really like a lot of our later picks. I think Overshown, Fehoko, and Vaughn are excellent picks. Overshown, because now we have a heat-seeking missile at LB who is likely going to be a younger version of Kearse. Fehoko because one can never have too many pass rushers, and Vaughn because of his similarities to Sproles. I also like the Asim Richards pick. I think he and Waletzco will make good depth.

The biggest thing from the draft that I think is a massive need is kicker. More on that in a moment (if you've seen my threads on kickers, I think you know where this is going).

Overall, I'd give this draft a B+. It wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't the worst. It has some very good choices, and a few picks that we will see how they develop.

I also like what I've seen so far at UDFA. I like the WRs we are bringing in. This is a good thing. I think one of the best ways to find a good WR is to cast a wide net, and let the competition show it. This is where I think my first suggestion comes in. Earlier, I made a thread about a Canadian WR named Jevon Cottoy from the BC Lions. Essentially, I think he's a WR who, at 6'5", would give us a wide range to throw. He's been a standout in the CFL, from what I've seen. I think he's worth a try out at TC.

I also like that we seem to be bringing in a few olinemen. Might as well keep that churning. I think training camp will be fun this year. Especially at WR and oline.

Now, we come to kicker. This is a spot that I'm not excited to watch. Maher is probably done. I can see Crosby being brought in, but I'd like to see an actual competition here. Enter, you guessed it, some kickers I like from the Japanese League. I'm not going to go into full details here like I did on another thread, but I'm particularly interested in Koji Nasho (https://sports.jp.fujitsu.com/frontiers/players). Essentially, he's a kicker who just won a championship with a team in the Japanese X-League. From what I've seen, he seems consistent and has a good leg. His lone FG attempt in the game that I saw was a beautiful kick. Given the nature of their league, he has to be comfortable kicking in grass, turf, and even a baseball/football dual use turf. Yet, the kickers there, including Nasho, seen very accurate and have massive legs. I think Nasho should be brought to camp. Wouldn't be the first time we used a foreigner at kicker, and I think it's time we got a little creative trying to find a kicker.

I'm also a tad nervous about QB. I like Dak a lot, and I've been very supportive of him and will continue to do so. However, I think he has to protect the ball better. We have almost the perfect defence. I like what our offense is building into, and I think the WCO suits him. He just needs to protect the ball. He used to be good at that, but last year was not good from him. If he can drive the bus, score points, and not turn it over, I think this team can do great things.

Overall, I'm actually optimistic about our draft. I think it's been a decent draft. However, Dak has to control the ball and just drive the bus, and we need a kicker battle. I'm excited to watch the. WR battle as well. Should be a fun TC.
Before I get to the players, I love listening to the Cowboys draft process, even though they don’t seem to have a 100 percent commitment of sticking to their board. Why stack a board if you are going to then discuss deviating from it. Anyway—I digress.

Round 1. I don’t know a great deal about the player but based on his traits and his measurables I think he instantly improves the team immensely. Maybe need lined up with BPA. Or maybe the team forced the pick a little bit. Regardless, I am glad that the team showed a willingness to commit significant draft capital at DT.

It also makes an already dominant defense a LOT more dominant, on paper. I think the team has hedged its bets on Dak, by saying if Dak can’t carry the team maybe a powerful defense can. It also allows us to move on from Dak at some point and not be in scoring shoot-outs with a new QB.

Round 2. I initially hated this pick for many reasons. I think our TEs are solid without a pick, we always seem to find hidden gems in UDFA and I didn’t see TE as a huge need. The team seems to think otherwise.

I don’t see “blocking tight end” as valuable enough to spend a second round pick on him. Based on the team’s draft history, I am willing to give this one a wait and see approach, (and his measurables seem to be above average). I am warming up to tolerable on this pick, but lukewarm is all I can muster at this point.

Round 3-7 There is no way of knowing who balls out from the rest of this draft class. Deuce will probably contribute some this year. The fact that Dallas traded up went up to get a player tends to bode well for that player.

Yhe fact that the Cowboys draft didn’t seem flashy is usually a sign of one of two things it’s either meat and potatoes that quietly pays solid dividends or it’s off the mark completely. Hopefully it is the former, not the latter.