CFZ Post-draft thoughts

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Before I get to the players, I love listening to the Cowboys draft process, even though they don’t seem to have a 100 percent commitment of sticking to their board. Why stack a board if you are going to then discuss deviating from it. Anyway—I digress.

Round 1. I don’t know a great deal about the player but based on his traits and his measurables I think he instantly improves the team immensely. Maybe need lined up with BPA. Or maybe the team forced the pick a little bit. Regardless, I am glad that the team showed a willingness to commit significant draft capital at DT.

It also makes an already dominant defense a LOT more dominant, on paper. I think the team has hedged its bets on Dak, by saying if Dak can’t carry the team maybe a powerful defense can. It also allows us to move on from Dak at some point and not be in scoring shoot-outs with a new QB.

Round 2. I initially hated this pick for many reasons. I think our TEs are solid without a pick, we always seem to find hidden gems in UDFA and I didn’t see TE as a huge need. The team seems to think otherwise.

I don’t see “blocking tight end” as valuable enough to spend a second round pick on him. Based on the team’s draft history, I am willing to give this one a wait and see approach, (and his measurables seem to be above average). I am warming up to tolerable on this pick, but lukewarm is all I can muster at this point.

Round 3-7 There is no way of knowing who balls out from the rest of this draft class. Deuce will probably contribute some this year. The fact that Dallas traded up went up to get a player tends to bode well for that player.

Yhe fact that the Cowboys draft didn’t seem flashy is usually a sign of one of two things it’s either meat and potatoes that quietly pays solid dividends or it’s off the mark completely. Hopefully it is the former, not the latter.

I think this is exactly right. I think the defence is going to be so dominant that Dak would have to really become an interception machine for it to not work.

basel90

Reaction score
I think next year might be when they do it. It's a better draft class next year for QBs. I presume Asim Richards is someone they are going to see if he can handle either T or Guard. Remember, if needed, Tyler Smith can play LT.
could be the strategy, or not to upset dak during negociations . still , too limited QB options if dak is injured or if he does not sign an extension.

75boyz

Reaction score
Before I get to the players, I love listening to the Cowboys draft process, even though they don’t seem to have a 100 percent commitment of sticking to their board. Why stack a board if you are going to then discuss deviating from it. Anyway—I digress.

Round 1. I don’t know a great deal about the player but based on his traits and his measurables I think he instantly improves the team immensely. Maybe need lined up with BPA. Or maybe the team forced the pick a little bit. Regardless, I am glad that the team showed a willingness to commit significant draft capital at DT.

It also makes an already dominant defense a LOT more dominant, on paper. I think the team has hedged its bets on Dak, by saying if Dak can’t carry the team maybe a powerful defense can. It also allows us to move on from Dak at some point and not be in scoring shoot-outs with a new QB.

Round 2. I initially hated this pick for many reasons. I think our TEs are solid without a pick, we always seem to find hidden gems in UDFA and I didn’t see TE as a huge need. The team seems to think otherwise.

I don’t see “blocking tight end” as valuable enough to spend a second round pick on him. Based on the team’s draft history, I am willing to give this one a wait and see approach, (and his measurables seem to be above average). I am warming up to tolerable on this pick, but lukewarm is all I can muster at this point.

Round 3-7 There is no way of knowing who balls out from the rest of this draft class. Deuce will probably contribute some this year. The fact that Dallas traded up went up to get a player tends to bode well for that player.

Yhe fact that the Cowboys draft didn’t seem flashy is usually a sign of one of two things it’s either meat and potatoes that quietly pays solid dividends or it’s off the mark completely. Hopefully it is the former, not the latter.
A very well thought out post that I totally agree with.
Nice job.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
It’s funny I wasent expecting much in the draft but MAZI picked me up a little bit. Luke wa . I think somebody called the draft a meat and potatoes draft. I don’t like meat and potatoes. Of course everybody is happy about deuce. Jerry will design a marketing plan for dDuce and his father. Somebody said in another post that this team is not improved I don’t know how they could say that

Chuck 54

Reaction score
LG is the spot I am most concerned about, that is why I would have taken O'Cyrus in the 2nd round instead of the TE.

I am thinking they are going to kick Tyler Smith inside to play LG and put Tyrone back at LT.............problem is we all know Tyrone is going to get hurt again, just a matter of when.

Surely they are not thinking that scrub they signed from the Jets is going to be the starter at LG.:facepalm:
I think Torrence’s lack of movement and athleticism held him back. He’s supposed to be a stud in a small box, but can’t pull, can’t get to the second level, and if he does, lacks the mobility to block anyone in space. He just wasn’t a good fit for what we wanted, I guess. I’m sure that’s also why Avila went first. I am curious if they would have considered Avila if he’s still on the board. Regardless, they clearly preferred Schoonmaker’s blocking and all around play over better pass receiving TEs. That may also be a comment on what they feel they already have, but lack, in the other guys on the roster.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
From I have seen Fehoko is going to be more of an interior player. Im not sure if that is full time or as base down DE that kicks inside on passing downs. Ive seen report that said he will be a 3T in 2024 and one that said he play DE and DT this year. Both could right. He probably has to put in 15 pounds to be a full time 3T.
I love the idea of having him and DLaw at DE in running situations and on the goal line with Parsons at LB. Love Micah, but he did not hold up well when teams committed to run right at him.

LysleE

Reaction score
Loved that Dallas drafted the best run defender in the draft.

Wasn’t keen on drafting aTE in the second when there is a more pressing need at LG and could have been filled.

I liked the athleticism of the LB drafted; but to me he is a clone of Clark and Cox, none of whom did little in the field last season, now that may be due to injury more than ability.

Feel like the edge rusher drafted who will be moved inside is a project; as will the CB who will be moved to safety.

The OT may provide some good depth and played against some good competition; maybe he gets coached up and can become a contributor.

Don’t know much about the WR drafted.
I liked the RB pick; think he is more of a scat back given his size. He was used a ton in college given his snap counts and hope he can complement Pollard, Davis and the RB we signed in the off-season.

As usual won’t know for sure how this draft pans out for a year or two, but I’m willing to give it a chance and not write it off just yet. There is no way this draft is even close to that abysmal 2009 draft.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Things I wonder about post-draft:

There appears to be a log-jam at DE. I wonder if either D Armstrong or C Goldston are traded before the final 53.

I also wonder whether J Lewis is traded as well.

Along those same lines, i wonder whether Ball, Semi Fehoko and Gallimore make the final 53.

I wonder if they start the two Smiths at L and R tackle and keep Steele as the swing T until he is 100 %