• Rd 4. Jake Ferguson (TE)
  • Rd 5. Matt Waletzko (OT)
  • Rd 5. Damon Clarke (LB)
  • Rd 5. John Ridgeway (1T)
  • Rd 5. Daron Bland (CB)
  • Rd 6. Devin Harper (LB)

My opinion:
Offense:
  • OC: Biadasz wasn't terrible last season but wasn't good either. Farniok, while having traits is completely unproven. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't liked an early investment in the draft and would have gone Linderbaum round 1 with a OG 2nd round. But I don't know the draft or the roster like the FO and coaching staff so here's hoping.
  • TE: I was a bit disappoint to see Sprinkle as our FA investment at TE. Matching OJ Howard's 1 year 3.5m contract would have been something I was happier with. It's not breaking the bank and gives a more solid all round no.2 while Ferguson develops.
  • WR: With Gallup having an ACL and a 3rd round rookie developing, It would have been nice to have a more reliable option that can play as a no.2 receiver that could match Cedric Wilson's output for a year. Still possible with some talent left in FA.

Defense:
  • 1T: Bohanna should be better with a year in the system, and we now have 5th round pick Ridgeway to go with the smaller Watkins. To be honest I would have liked a splash in FA rather than Watkins. He was solid but I feel re-signing him is treading water when we needed to get better against the run.
  • LB: Parsons is obviously a beast but playing as a part-time edge rusher puts LVE again as at least a part-time starter. I would have liked someone in FA a bit more expensive on a short-term deal while draft picks develop.
Special Teams:
  • Kicker: It would be nice to have competition and if we had drafted our favorite option in the 6th round or traded in a 7th to avoid the UDFA race. We need someone.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I still think we're weakest at linebacker (Cox coming off injury and don't know when LVE will go out with an injury). Clark isn't going to contribute this year and Harper is mostly a special teams guy in his first year. No one else on the roster stands out at linebacker apart from Parsons, and he's going to be lining up as an edge rusher frequently.

DanA

Reaction score
I still think we're weakest at linebacker (Cox coming off injury and don't know when LVE will go out with an injury). Clark isn't going to contribute this year and Harper is mostly a special teams guy in his first year. No one else on the roster stands out at linebacker apart from Parsons, and he's going to be lining up as an edge rusher frequently.

We've also got Gifford but agree we are weak here. There are still some pretty solid FA's out there that could address this. Barr, Hightower, KJ Wright etc

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
FS after Hooker nobody is present unless you want to think Mukuamu is ready I see ESPN Depth Chart has Donovan Wilson as the starting FS I always thought of him as a SS or am I crazy. They have Hooker as a SS on ESPN bunch of Turds. However, he did tackle a lot better last year; maybe I am the crazy one.

DAL1180

Reaction score
So now that we have had the draft and brought in the following:
  • Rd 1. Tyler Smith (OG/OT)
  • Rd 2. Sam William (DE)
  • Rd 3. Jalan Tolbert (WR)
  • Rd 5. Daron Bland (CB)

My opinion:
Offense:
  • OC: Biadasz wasn't terrible last season but wasn't good either. Farniok, while having traits is completely unproven. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't liked an early investment in the draft and would have gone Linderbaum round 1 with a OG 2nd round. But I don't know the draft or the roster like the FO and coaching staff so here's hoping.
  • TE: I was a bit disappoint to see Sprinkle as our FA investment at TE. Matching OJ Howard's 1 year 3.5m contract would have been something I was happier with. It's not breaking the bank and gives a more solid all round no.2 while Ferguson develops.
  • WR: With Gallup having an ACL and a 3rd round rookie developing, It would have been nice to have a more reliable option that can play as a no.2 receiver that could match Cedric Wilson's output for a year. Still possible with some talent left in FA.

Defense:
  • 1T: Bohanna should be better with a year in the system, and we now have 5th round pick Ridgeway to go with the smaller Watkins. To be honest I would have liked a splash in FA rather than Watkins. He was solid but I feel re-signing him is treading water when we needed to get better against the run.
  • LB: Parsons is obviously a beast but playing as a part-time edge rusher puts LVE again as at least a part-time starter. I would have liked someone in FA a bit more expensive on a short-term deal while draft picks develop.
Special Teams:
  • Kicker: It would be nice to have competition and if we had drafted our favorite option in the 6th round or traded in a 7th to avoid the UDFA race. We need someone.
I would add returner, specifically punt returner since I doubt they want to continue using their Number One receiver in that role.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
  • Rd 2. Sam William (DE)
  • Rd 5. Daron Bland (CB)

My opinion:
Offense:

Defense:
Special Teams:
They got Gariboy from Texas Tech. He should lock K down. 15 of 16 last year with a long of 62

morasp

Reaction score
Just considering our starters, I think for the most part we could be better than last year. We should see a second year improvement from last years rookies.

WR I think were good there. Tolbert should be good for anywhere between 500-800 yards receiving.
OT Good Ball and the rookie should compete for the swing tackle job.
OG Good Smith will have growing pains but will be an upgrade by the playoffs
OC TBD Biadasz has improved each year.
DT I don't see anyone giving us an interior pass rush but even if he doesn't make a tackle I think we've improved our run defense with Ridgeway
DE I think we're better than last year. Williams has potential to get more sacks than Gregory did last year.
LB Better than last year. Cox is an upgrade to Neal
CB Good
S Kearse and Hooker are good.
QB It is what it is
RB Good

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
  • Rd 2. Sam William (DE)
  • Rd 5. Daron Bland (CB)

My opinion:
Offense:

Defense:
Special Teams:

WR? LOL You people will never be happy. WR is clearly one of the strongest positions on the team. Total nonsense.

OL is still a weakness until proven other wise.

RB will be a big position of need in the offseason.

LB will be stacked going into next season if Damone comes back healthy.

Agree 1 T

DanA

Reaction score
WR? LOL You people will never be happy. WR is clearly one of the strongest positions on the team. Total nonsense.

OL is still a weakness until proven other wise.

RB will be a big position of need in the offseason.

LB will be stacked going into next season if Damone comes back healthy.

Agree 1 T

I stand by Wide Receiver. The way I see it:
  • Ceedee is a solid no.1
  • Gallup will miss the start of the season but hopefully becomes solid Z
  • Tolbert will be a no.3 that will have some teething problems
  • Washington is a decent no.4 but not much more based on his past
  • Brown is decent on ST but just a body on offense
The key for me is the first 3-4 weeks. We might not have Gallup and Tolbert will just be learning. It could be pretty ugly which is why I would like an addition. I'm not talking a 20m per season Amari Cooper, I'm thinking more like a 5m per season Randall Cobb equivalent.

With regards to LB.
1. Micah Parsons
2. Jayron Kearse
3. Jabril Cox
4. Leighton Vander Esch
5. Devin Harper
6. Damone Clark?
7. Luke Gifford

I think 6/7 LB's is about right to carry given how much LB's can do on special teams. If push came to shove, I'd be more than happy to cut Gifford too before the season, and there's a good chance that by the time Clark is healthy somebody us put on injury reserve.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I stand by Wide Receiver. The way I see it:
  • Ceedee is a solid no.1
  • Gallup will miss the start of the season but hopefully becomes solid Z
  • Tolbert will be a no.3 that will have some teething problems
  • Washington is a decent no.4 but not much more based on his past
  • Brown is decent on ST but just a body on offense
The key for me is the first 3-4 weeks. We might not have Gallup and Tolbert will just be learning. It could be pretty ugly which is why I would like an addition. I'm not talking a 20m per season Amari Cooper, I'm thinking more like a 5m per season Randall Cobb equivalent.

With regards to LB.
1. Micah Parsons
2. Jayron Kearse
3. Jabril Cox
4. Leighton Vander Esch
5. Devin Harper
6. Damone Clark?
7. Luke Gifford

I think 6/7 LB's is about right to carry given how much LB's can do on special teams. If push came to shove, I'd be more than happy to cut Gifford too before the season, and there's a good chance that by the time Clark is healthy somebody us put on injury reserve.

Gallup was a great #2 for 2 years before Lamb got here. We have no issues whatsoever.

Tolbert will have a hard enough time beating out Washington for the 3rd spot.

Either Washington or Tolbert are a great #4. And thats not even mentioning our #2 pass catcher last year in Shultz. The Cowboys are completely stacked with pass catchers. Thats not even including our new 4th round TE.

Gallup missing a few games next year doenst alter that.

Carter

Reaction score
LB is still weak atleast in 2022. Clark wont play this season. Harper will be ST Player first of all. LVE is injury prone and Cox is coming off a major injury
WR is still suspect with Gallup coming off the ACL. Hopefully Tolbert can be a Day 1 Player.
RB is still weak. Zeke is basically a FB these days. Pollard is the #1 but what after him?
Also still no development QB on the Roster

Cowboyny

Reaction score
People forget that this team already stated they aren't done in fa and were waiting to see what they did in the draft. Remember they have that 10 million coming for the release of Collins on June 1st. Where would you spend the money?

-Linebacker-ton of youth outside the 2 starters, adding another veteran makes a ton of sense.
-Swing Tackle-they have young prospects in their stable, but need a veteran backup. We heard they were talking to one prior to the draft.
-Guard-it is very possible they bring Tyler Smith isn't ready and they have zero faith in McGovern
-Kicker-they have two on their roster, but neither are top options.

Flamma

Reaction score
They filled holes in the draft, but didn't address what they did poorly, stopping the run. I doubt that guy we drafted in the 5th round is going to have much of an impact this year. What are we counting on to stop the run? We have some young DTs I like. I'm hoping they develop into better players.

cnuball21

Reaction score
  • Rd 2. Sam William (DE)
  • Rd 5. Daron Bland (CB)

My opinion:
Offense:

Defense:
Special Teams:

Some areas of concern:

- We’ve downgraded at DE due to losing Gregory
- We’ve downgraded our WR corp SHORT TERM (I’m very high on Talbert and think he’ll be a stud in year 2/3)
- DT: we’re ok here but could upgrade
- C: we’re ok here but could upgrade

Honestly, I think the roster is fine and is still a playoff caliber team on paper. We just need our young players to continue to develop and step up.

My bigger concern, more so than the roster, is our OC. We’re force feeding an overpaid / overrated RB and he’s shown zero ability to generate high volume / targets for our best players.

DanA

Reaction score
Some areas of concern:

- We’ve downgraded at DE due to losing Gregory
- We’ve downgraded our WR corp SHORT TERM (I’m very high on Talbert and think he’ll be a stud in year 2/3)
- DT: we’re ok here but could upgrade
- C: we’re ok here but could upgrade

Honestly, I think the roster is fine and is still a playoff caliber team on paper. We just need our young players to continue to develop and step up.

My bigger concern, more so than the roster, is our OC. We’re force feeding an overpaid / overrated RB and he’s shown zero ability to generate high volume / targets for our best players.

We've downgraded on paper at DE but have we in practice?
  • Lawrence missed half the season
  • Gregory missed 1/3 of the season injured/COVID and had 1 sack in the back half
  • Golston should be better as a 2nd year player
  • We signed Fowler, we drafted Williams in the 2nd, and I see Armstrong as an ascending player
I think if it's a downgrade then it's only a small one. I'd also say we've downgraded at WR long-term as Cooper is a 20m player and we had Cedric Wilson too. However, I agree by next year WR should be above average. I also generally agree with your points overall and really want to see alternatives to Zeke be the focus of this offense....starting with Pollard!

cnuball21

Reaction score
We've downgraded on paper at DE but have we in practice?
  • Lawrence missed half the season
  • Gregory missed 1/3 of the season injured/COVID and had 1 sack in the back half
  • Golston should be better as a 2nd year player
  • We signed Fowler, we drafted Williams in the 2nd, and I see Armstrong as an ascending player
I think if it's a downgrade then it's only a small one. I'd also say we've downgraded at WR long-term as Cooper is a 20m player and we had Cedric Wilson too. However, I agree by next year WR should be above average. I also generally agree with your points overall and really want to see alternatives to Zeke be the focus of this offense....starting with Pollard!

When looking at the starter opposite of DLaw, yes. I know Gregory has missed some time but he is a better player than anyone we have opposite of Dlaw.

- Golston is more of a run defending DE
- Fowler is nowhere near the player he was drafted to be and is a band-aid
- Williams average pre-draft rankings on most media analysts big board was around 90 - hoping he proves me and all of them wrong
- FIngers crossed on Armstrong. I like him as a backup just don't think his athletic profile equates to an above average starting DE

And yea, Pollard needs way more touches. He is so much more explosive than Zeke.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
When looking at the starter opposite of DLaw, yes. I know Gregory has missed some time but he is a better player than anyone we have opposite of Dlaw.

- Golston is more of a run defending DE
- Fowler is nowhere near the player he was drafted to be and is a band-aid
- Williams average pre-draft rankings on most media analysts big board was around 90 - hoping he proves me and all of them wrong
- FIngers crossed on Armstrong. I like him as a backup just don't think his athletic profile equates to an above average starting DE

And yea, Pollard needs way more touches. He is so much more explosive than Zeke.
The team can still sign a veteran edge rusher, there are several still out there and their prices will come down. This would allow a player like Williams time for development.