Post draft - Where are we weak?

cnuball21

Reaction score
The team can still sign a veteran edge rusher, there are several still out there and their prices will come down. This would allow a player like Williams time for development.

That is true and would be ideal IMO..if someone like Trey Flowers is healthy he'd be a great add IMO.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That is true and would be ideal IMO..if someone like Trey Flowers is healthy he'd be a great add IMO.
A few bridge starters on short-term contracts will allow these prospects time to develop and forced into action when they aren't ready. If they prove they are ready now, they could always release or trade the veteran. Let's also remember it doesn't affect the comp picks now. Thought we did good with those selections yesterday with the drafting of Clark and Ridgeway.

DanA

Reaction score
When looking at the starter opposite of DLaw, yes. I know Gregory has missed some time but he is a better player than anyone we have opposite of Dlaw.

- Golston is more of a run defending DE
- Fowler is nowhere near the player he was drafted to be and is a band-aid
- Williams average pre-draft rankings on most media analysts big board was around 90 - hoping he proves me and all of them wrong
- FIngers crossed on Armstrong. I like him as a backup just don't think his athletic profile equates to an above average starting DE

And yea, Pollard needs way more touches. He is so much more explosive than Zeke.

Except in the playoffs. He's never had a post season sack (4 games) and gave away 3 penalties against SFO in 2021.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Except in the playoffs. He's never had a post season sack (4 games) and gave away 3 penalties against SFO in 2021.

Sure, he had a tough game against SF. I'd argue some of thoes offsides calls were BS. Trent Williams has a slight twitch before the snao that was causing it and I think the announcers eeven called it out on live TV.

Bad games happen. Tyron and Zack both had rough outings against SF as well. Doesn't take away from the big picture and body or work.

DanA

Reaction score
Sure, he had a tough game against SF. I'd argue some of thoes offsides calls were BS. Trent Williams has a slight twitch before the snao that was causing it and I think the announcers eeven called it out on live TV.

Bad games happen. Tyron and Zack both had rough outings against SF as well. Doesn't take away from the big picture and body or work.

It's not a bad game, its a pattern, And while Tyron and Zack might have had relatively bad games, they've built up enough goodwill to let it go, Gregory has not. The big picture "body of work" is 16.5 sacks and 23 penalties in 54 games. His best season was 6 sacks.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So now that we have had the draft and brought in the following:
  • Rd 1. Tyler Smith (OG/OT)
  • Rd 2. Sam William (DE)
  • Rd 3. Jalan Tolbert (WR)
  • Rd 4. Jake Ferguson (TE)
  • Rd 5. Matt Waletzko (OT)
  • Rd 5. Damon Clarke (LB)
  • Rd 5. John Ridgeway (1T)
  • Rd 5. Daron Bland (CB)
  • Rd 6. Devin Harper (LB)

My opinion:
Offense:
  • OC: Biadasz wasn't terrible last season but wasn't good either. Farniok, while having traits is completely unproven. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't liked an early investment in the draft and would have gone Linderbaum round 1 with a OG 2nd round. But I don't know the draft or the roster like the FO and coaching staff so here's hoping.
  • TE: I was a bit disappoint to see Sprinkle as our FA investment at TE. Matching OJ Howard's 1 year 3.5m contract would have been something I was happier with. It's not breaking the bank and gives a more solid all round no.2 while Ferguson develops.
  • WR: With Gallup having an ACL and a 3rd round rookie developing, It would have been nice to have a more reliable option that can play as a no.2 receiver that could match Cedric Wilson's output for a year. Still possible with some talent left in FA.

Defense:
  • 1T: Bohanna should be better with a year in the system, and we now have 5th round pick Ridgeway to go with the smaller Watkins. To be honest I would have liked a splash in FA rather than Watkins. He was solid but I feel re-signing him is treading water when we needed to get better against the run.
  • LB: Parsons is obviously a beast but playing as a part-time edge rusher puts LVE again as at least a part-time starter. I would have liked someone in FA a bit more expensive on a short-term deal while draft picks develop.
Special Teams:
  • Kicker: It would be nice to have competition and if we had drafted our favorite option in the 6th round or traded in a 7th to avoid the UDFA race. We need someone.
I think we will add a FA LB and WR. I don't think there are any starters out there at Center. Tretter is pretty much done

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When looking at the starter opposite of DLaw, yes. I know Gregory has missed some time but he is a better player than anyone we have opposite of Dlaw.

- Golston is more of a run defending DE
- Fowler is nowhere near the player he was drafted to be and is a band-aid
- Williams average pre-draft rankings on most media analysts big board was around 90 - hoping he proves me and all of them wrong
- FIngers crossed on Armstrong. I like him as a backup just don't think his athletic profile equates to an above average starting DE

And yea, Pollard needs way more touches. He is so much more explosive than Zeke.
Williams low ranking is more due to his off field issues than anything. He is a better pass rushing prospect than Mafe. Both are similar players

DanA

Reaction score
They will have close to 25 million in cap space after June 1st. I can see them going after Landry

I hope so. I read Landry was weighing up two offers pre-draft and wanted to wait until after before signing. I think we might have to get in pretty quickly if we're interested.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
People forget that this team already stated they aren't done in fa and were waiting to see what they did in the draft. Remember they have that 10 million coming for the release of Collins on June 1st. Where would you spend the money?

-Linebacker-ton of youth outside the 2 starters, adding another veteran makes a ton of sense.
-Swing Tackle-they have young prospects in their stable, but need a veteran backup. We heard they were talking to one prior to the draft.
-Guard-it is very possible they bring Tyler Smith isn't ready and they have zero faith in McGovern
-Kicker-they have two on their roster, but neither are top options.
And people also know that whatever’s left in free agency ( that they’re willing to pay for) will mean very little.
What we have now is pretty much what we’ll play the season with.
At the moment this team has less talent than last year, so I don’t see us progressing.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Let’s be real here. This season comes down to Prescott and how this team runs the football. Prescott doesn’t need to be great. I don’t have that expectation for him. But he can’t be as bad as he was down the stretch. This team HAS to be able to run the football. Smith can really help in this area.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Gallup was a great #2 for 2 years before Lamb got here. We have no issues whatsoever.

Tolbert will have a hard enough time beating out Washington for the 3rd spot.

Either Washington or Tolbert are a great #4. And thats not even mentioning our #2 pass catcher last year in Shultz. The Cowboys are completely stacked with pass catchers. Thats not even including our new 4th round TE.

Gallup missing a few games next year doenst alter that.

Let's not forget James Washington was drafted in the 2nd round, as the 60th pick.

People are ready to write him off, but the dude has game.

DanA

Reaction score
And people also know that whatever’s left in free agency ( that they’re willing to pay for) will mean very little.
What we have now is pretty much what we’ll play the season with.
At the moment this team has less talent than last year, so I don’t see us progressing.

A few times in recent years we've made some post-draft moves.

• Amari Cooper (trade)
  • Michael Bennett (trade)
  • Everson Griffen
  • Malik Hooker
Not expecting massive activity but one or two guys maybe a possibility. We were less active than usual in FA and have more free cap space.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let's not forget James Washington was drafted in the 2nd round, as the 60th pick.

People are ready to write him off, but the dude has game.
I feel better about him after draft Tolbert. I think Washington is better as a #4 guy

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's not a bad game, its a pattern, And while Tyron and Zack might have had relatively bad games, they've built up enough goodwill to let it go, Gregory has not. The big picture "body of work" is 16.5 sacks and 23 penalties in 54 games. His best season was 6 sacks.

Then why did Denver pay him? There’s a lot more to it than just sacks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So now that we have had the draft and brought in the following:
  • Rd 1. Tyler Smith (OG/OT)
  • Rd 2. Sam William (DE)
  • Rd 3. Jalan Tolbert (WR)
  • Rd 4. Jake Ferguson (TE)
  • Rd 5. Matt Waletzko (OT)
  • Rd 5. Damon Clarke (LB)
  • Rd 5. John Ridgeway (1T)
  • Rd 5. Daron Bland (CB)
  • Rd 6. Devin Harper (LB)

My opinion:
Offense:
  • OC: Biadasz wasn't terrible last season but wasn't good either. Farniok, while having traits is completely unproven. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't liked an early investment in the draft and would have gone Linderbaum round 1 with a OG 2nd round. But I don't know the draft or the roster like the FO and coaching staff so here's hoping.
  • TE: I was a bit disappoint to see Sprinkle as our FA investment at TE. Matching OJ Howard's 1 year 3.5m contract would have been something I was happier with. It's not breaking the bank and gives a more solid all round no.2 while Ferguson develops.
  • WR: With Gallup having an ACL and a 3rd round rookie developing, It would have been nice to have a more reliable option that can play as a no.2 receiver that could match Cedric Wilson's output for a year. Still possible with some talent left in FA.

Defense:
  • 1T: Bohanna should be better with a year in the system, and we now have 5th round pick Ridgeway to go with the smaller Watkins. To be honest I would have liked a splash in FA rather than Watkins. He was solid but I feel re-signing him is treading water when we needed to get better against the run.
  • LB: Parsons is obviously a beast but playing as a part-time edge rusher puts LVE again as at least a part-time starter. I would have liked someone in FA a bit more expensive on a short-term deal while draft picks develop.
Special Teams:
  • Kicker: It would be nice to have competition and if we had drafted our favorite option in the 6th round or traded in a 7th to avoid the UDFA race. We need someone.
My only concern is OC. Hopefully Farniok takes the job from Biadasz and never looks back.
- Having power at LG will help the OC.

It would be nice to have an elite TE, but it's questionable if any TEs in this draft will be truly elite as both receivers and blockers.
- My favorite player at this point in the 2023 draft is Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer. He would have been the top TE in this draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team can still sign a veteran edge rusher, there are several still out there and their prices will come down. This would allow a player like Williams time for development.
Do they need another DE?
- Fowler can rush the passer. He just isn't very good vs the run.
- Armstrong is good vs the run. He had some good pass rushing snaps last season but is unlikely to ever be an elite pass rusher.
- DLaw likely remains for a few years now that he took a lower valued contract.
- Basham was OK as a 4th DE last season.