Power Rank current NFL Head Coaches

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
What is your point?
He inherited a Super Bowl winning team, and a team with a young quarterback that'll probably be in the Hall of Fame someday. He didn't have to buy the groceries as Bill Parcells would say they already had an established general manager in Colbert.

He stepped into a similar situation as Barry Switzer, and his job was manage the players on the field.

I didn't say he was bad. I just always thought of him as an average coach that took over the job of a ready-made Super Bowl winning team.I don't see him repeating the type of success he had in Pittsburgh anywhere else.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Here’s my rankings. Definitely different tiers in here.

1) Belichick - duh
2) Reid - Always gets teams deep in playoffs
3) Harbaugh - Won Super Bowl now on another run
4) Payton - Going 9-2 without starting QB for half the year is impressive.
5) Carroll - Seems to get most of his talent every year
6) Tomlin - Like Reid seems to always have teams in the hunt and won one early.
7) McVay - Boy wonder has had shine come off this year. But making super bowl in year 2 is impressive
8) Zimmer - Has taken team to NFC Championship and always has dangerous defense
9) Pederson - Won super bowl. Basically only reason he’s here. Has done nothing since.
10) Garrett - Always has teams in hunt. Doesn’t finish in big games
11) Gruden - Seems like players like him
12) Bill O’Brien - Have always liked him since days at Penn St
13) Shanahan - Had good offense in Atlanta and now with healthy team seems to be doing well but fell apart last 2 years with injuries. Needs playoff success to move up
14) Reich - Has team in contention. Was good with Pederson
15) Ron Rivera - Maybe the streakiest Coach in the league. He’s my top vote for DC next year if he’s fired. Made a super bowl.
16) Nagy - Liked his offense year 1. This year not so much
17) McDermott - Is this start just a fluke? Will find out soon
18) LaFleur - His offense isn’t reason GB is 8-3. It’s GMs signings on D
19) Arians - Had nice run in Arizona. Hasn’t been able to get through to Jameis.
20) Quinn - Made a super bowl but team has gone in tank since Shanahan left.
21) Vrabel - Teams have been competitive first 2 years.
22) Patricia - Runs confusing defenses for some but doesn’t appear his players like him
23) Fangio - Regarded highly as assistant. Needs a QB
24) Marrone - I mean they were good his first year
25) Kingsbury - Want his offense to succeed. Don’t know if it will
26) Gase - Proving to be career assistant
27) Lynn - Chargers has high expectations before the year. 4-7 now
28) Kitchens - Benefitting off easy schedule lately.
29) Flores - Dolphins have won 2 games in spite of giving away their best players
30) Shurmur - Doesn’t use Barkley in obvious situations. Can see him out after the year
31) Taylor - 0-11 is bad by any measurement
32) No coach for Commanders.

Garrett at 10 is absurd. Completely and utterly absud. Have you watched this team
the last decade?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I will also add among league insiders McDermott is very, very well regarded.

JBS

Reaction score
Shanny at 13 is a complete joke

Reich at whatever number he is is awful as well

Having Garrett above either of these guys is laughable

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Jason Garrett top 10 lmao!!! Always in the hunt? What hunt? Wild card or division by default and maybe a wildcard win? Has one of the most talented rosters in the NFL and they can’t beat a team with a winning record and stand at 6-5??? Just stop

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Is this Mickey doing some damage control for Jerruh and the Clapper?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Garrett at 10 is absurd. Completely and utterly absud. Have you watched this team
the last decade?
Name me coaches that are definitively better. Garrett as top 10 DOES SEEM absurd but that’s assigning a numeric value to it. When you look close you see there’s only 7 consistent coaches that have skins on the wall.

The rest hit their hay day 3-5 years ago or have yet to actually accomplish something beyond regular season success.

In a month Garrett could easily fall to 15th based off some of the newer guys having postseason success but for all we know they’re just another version of Garrett. Stacking up regular season wins

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There should be a coaches on the hot seat section in which Garrett would be number one with a bullet.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Name me coaches that are definitively better. Garrett as top 10 DOES SEEM absurd but that’s assigning a numeric value to it. When you look close you see there’s only 7 consistent coaches that have skins on the wall.

The rest hit their hay day 3-5 years ago or have yet to actually accomplish something beyond regular season success.

In a month Garrett could easily fall to 15th based off some of the newer guys having postseason success but for all we know they’re just another version of Garrett. Stacking up regular season wins

Rivera coaches in a SB. Gruden won a SB. Arians has always been good. Reich and McDermott are just getting started but are way more respected. Anyone with a brain would rather have Patricia, OBrien and Vrabel. LeFleur beat the crap out of Garrett at home his first chance. I would rather have Flores for sure. I could go on. Garrett is bottom 5. The guy has had good QBs his whole tenure and won what? He will get fired and not get another job in this league. He is a joke. Listen to the former players. Look at his barren coaching tree. Listen to the objective media people. He sucks. Stop being a sheep.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Patricia has had a pro bowl QB in Stafford for 24 of his 27 games and supposed to be a wizard on defense yet is 9-17-1.

OBrien has been on hot seat last 2 years. He’s 49-42 since starting in 2014 and his most wins in a season is 11, with 3 9-7 seasons and a 1-3 playoff record.

Vrabel is 15-11 in 2 seasons. We’ll see how he does when he gets a QB better than Tannehill next year. But it’ll likely be a rookie so he can’t be fully judged until year 4. However imagine hiring someone that takes 4 years to have a functional QB. Garrett had a big hand in Dak at least being functional year 1.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
McVay, Pedersen, Garrett are all too high as is Bill O’Brien. Reich and Shanahan are too low. Reich especially is a top 5 coach IMO. He is why the Eagles got their ring, they are a .500 team since. What he’s doing in Indy is further evidence of how good he is.

some other random thoughts
I understand why a Andy Reid is where he is but I think he is a below average in game coach. He doesn’t adjust well and his time management is poor. He also falls in love with the passing game too much. This is a pattern I see Pedersen developing. When Reid faces teams with similar talent he often loses even when favored. Mon-Sat he’s great, Sun, not so much.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett at 10??? Uh.........no.

C42

Reaction score
You put a guy making the SB in year 2 ahead of a guy winning the SB in year 2...

visionary

Reaction score
Here’s my rankings. Definitely different tiers in here.

1) Belichick - duh
2) Reid - Always gets teams deep in playoffs
3) Harbaugh - Won Super Bowl now on another run
4) Payton - Going 9-2 without starting QB for half the year is impressive.
5) Carroll - Seems to get most of his talent every year
6) Tomlin - Like Reid seems to always have teams in the hunt and won one early.
7) McVay - Boy wonder has had shine come off this year. But making super bowl in year 2 is impressive
8) Zimmer - Has taken team to NFC Championship and always has dangerous defense
9) Pederson - Won super bowl. Basically only reason he’s here. Has done nothing since.
10) Garrett - Always has teams in hunt. Doesn’t finish in big games
11) Gruden - Seems like players like him
12) Bill O’Brien - Have always liked him since days at Penn St
13) Shanahan - Had good offense in Atlanta and now with healthy team seems to be doing well but fell apart last 2 years with injuries. Needs playoff success to move up
14) Reich - Has team in contention. Was good with Pederson
15) Ron Rivera - Maybe the streakiest Coach in the league. He’s my top vote for DC next year if he’s fired. Made a super bowl.
16) Nagy - Liked his offense year 1. This year not so much
17) McDermott - Is this start just a fluke? Will find out soon
18) LaFleur - His offense isn’t reason GB is 8-3. It’s GMs signings on D
19) Arians - Had nice run in Arizona. Hasn’t been able to get through to Jameis.
20) Quinn - Made a super bowl but team has gone in tank since Shanahan left.
21) Vrabel - Teams have been competitive first 2 years.
22) Patricia - Runs confusing defenses for some but doesn’t appear his players like him
23) Fangio - Regarded highly as assistant. Needs a QB
24) Marrone - I mean they were good his first year
25) Kingsbury - Want his offense to succeed. Don’t know if it will
26) Gase - Proving to be career assistant
27) Lynn - Chargers has high expectations before the year. 4-7 now
28) Kitchens - Benefitting off easy schedule lately.
29) Flores - Dolphins have won 2 games in spite of giving away their best players
30) Shurmur - Doesn’t use Barkley in obvious situations. Can see him out after the year
31) Taylor - 0-11 is bad by any measurement
32) No coach for Commanders.

:lmao::lmao2:
Garrett at 10?
Can’t make up this stuff

Flamma

Reaction score
He inherited a Super Bowl winning team, and a team with a young quarterback that'll probably be in the Hall of Fame someday. He didn't have to buy the groceries as Bill Parcells would say they already had an established general manager in Colbert.

He stepped into a similar situation as Barry Switzer, and his job was manage the players on the field.

I didn't say he was bad. I just always thought of him as an average coach that took over the job of a ready-made Super Bowl winning team.I don't see him repeating the type of success he had in Pittsburgh anywhere else.

I would pump the breaks on that a little bit. The Cowboys under Switzer were declining rapidly. Tomlin at least knew how to keep things going and players motivated for a much longer period of time. It's obvious not every coach can do that regardless of talent. Also keep in mind if not for that Juggernaut in the AFC East the Steelers probably have a few more rings. I'm not one that thinks Tomlin is a great coach. But I do think he's better than average.

Even now that the Steelers have no offense, they are still in the playoff hunt. What happens when Garrett loses his starting QB? We get Elliott! Do you think had the Cowboys been coached by Tomlin these past 10 years we would have seen all these 8-8 records with yet another 8-8 or worse on the way? I don't see it.