Practice squad thread

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I understand the concept behind stashing guys like Rush and Maher on the practice squad, why not just wait until they IR Tyron Smith, James Washington, and probably others like Waletzko and just keep them on the 53?

You can only call up guys from the PS three times, so if they keep Maher there he has to be on the 53 by week four or we need another kicker.
Adding them to the practice squad allows them to continue to practice.

The ones that will be active every week will likely end up back on the 53 after other players have been moved to IR.

Mcduff2

Reaction score
This PS is balanced out with every position represented. A good plug and play "taxi" squad that gives the team playability insurance throughout the entire team. Would have liked at least on upgrade within the the OL group and Malik Turner verses the UDFA WR from Mississippi.

Loso86

Reaction score
My point is....

The tweet makes it sound like he is incredible and he adds to the depth of that position.
The tweet makes it sound like he is who they added to the practice squad lol. Would you rather not receive that info?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Yes, which is even more pathetic because anyone could have reached out to sign him.

You can't tell me he would rather be on our practice squad than on a team.
Watkins is a backup. Why is it pathetic?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But he was dang good in college. I can't for the life of me understand how that seems to almost never translate to the nfl. Josh Rosen comes to mind, Ryan Leaf and many others. I am pulling for Grier as I enjoyed watching him at WVU and hoped that we would draft him back then. He is here till he isn't I guess. Till then I will lend support his way.
coaches, offense are different than what he had success with. QB's are not plug and play, each qb should have an offense
designed to suit what they do good. Thats how foles won a SB.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Adding them to the practice squad allows them to continue to practice.

The ones that will be active every week will likely end up back on the 53 after other players have been moved to IR.

I agree, but after Tyron and Washington how many other guys are going to IR? Waletzko maybe, but Dallas might bring in a tackle to replace him soon. So they are still going to be sitting here in four weeks figuring out who they have to get rid of so they can keep a kicker or backup QB active. They can't keep calling up Maher and Rush/Grier all season long.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Tyler Coyle looked very good all preseason. Much better than Kelvin Joseph!

I would have rather kept Tyler Coyle on the 53 and dropped Kelvin Joseph to the practice squad.

Tyler Coyle: 6'1", 209 lbs, 4.36 40 time.
Kelvin Joseph: 6'1", 185 lbs, 4.35 40 time.

Another example of the Cowboys picking favorites due to draft pick (Kelvin Joseph: 2nd round) over undrafted Tyler Coyle.

817Gill

Reaction score
Tyler Coyle looked very good all preseason. Much better than Kelvin Joseph!

I would have rather kept Tyler Coyle on the 53 and dropped Kelvin Joseph to the practice squad.

Tyler Coyle: 6'1", 209 lbs, 4.36 40 time.
Kelvin Joseph: 6'1", 185 lbs, 4.35 40 time.

Another example of the Cowboys picking favorites due to draft pick (Kelvin Joseph: 2nd round) over undrafted Tyler Coyle.

Coyle is a Safety and Joseph is a pure CB. They have ample Safety depth, but need the bodies after the top 3 corners.

Makes complete sense why they did this. Also Joseph is a 2nd round pick, I know he’s had some troubles but the likelihood he’s claimed is infinitely higher than Coyle’s.

It’s not as cut and dry as who played better in preseason or who has better measurables.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Coyle is a Safety and Joseph is a pure CB. They have ample Safety depth, but need the bodies after the top 3 corners.

Makes complete sense why they did this. Also Joseph is a 2nd round pick, I know he’s had some troubles but the likelihood he’s claimed is infinitely higher than Coyle’s.

It’s not as cut and dry as who played better in preseason or who has better measurables.
Tyler Coyle is a "Free" Safety which means he can cover most receivers. He looks better than Kelvin Joseph does. Or do you disagree?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I still hold regrets for letting QB Matt Moore get away from us way back when. I guess we got lucky that nobody stole our cuts!:thumbup:

Last edited: