Game Day ***Pre-season Cowboys vs 49s 2nd Half & post game thread***

Juggernaut

Reaction score
X4itTX2.png
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Last edited:

DiResta

Reaction score
I’d like to believe this if not for the fact we’ve seen teams do this in the regular season too.

Normally who cares but when this is n issue that has shown up in regular season games, it’s still slightly disappointing.
i would say Richard will be more aggressive and they will lean on blitzing Jaylon more but Marinelli already said they were going to be basically the same -dont give up the big play (like blitzing etc)
im annoyed thinking about it

maybe they will scheme some nifty **** for Carolina :(

AtlCPA

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the preseason, my friend. It's a trend, a pattern in crunch time.
No, my friend. It has everything to do with the preseason. I’m extremely happy with the game. Our starters and second stringers beat their starters and second stringers. The fact that their players who most likely will not make the team beat our players who will not make the team is irrelevant.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, my friend. It has everything to do with the preseason. I’m extremely happy with the game. Our starters and second stringers beat their starters and second stringers. The fact that their players who most likely will not make the team beat our players who will not make the team is irrelevant.

The loss is meaningless.

The fact our defensive scheme at the end of halves is to play soft zones that give up chunks of yards and this has happened in regular season games should at least disappoint you.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Technically that's true, but that doesn't change the fact that I and many others just like to WIN, so in that respect it's not irrelevant.
But I understand your point, if you can understand ours. ;)

AtlCPA

Reaction score
The loss is meaningless.

The fact our defensive scheme at the end of halves is to play soft zones that give up chunks of yards and this has happened in regular season games should at least disappoint you.
It doesn’t. The coaches do not scheme and don’t want to show anything in the preseason. The preseason is for evaluating individual players. Our scrubs got whipped. No big deal.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

And it does.

Sydla

Reaction score
It doesn’t. The coaches do not scheme and don’t want to show anything in the preseason. The preseason is for evaluating individual players. Our scrubs got whipped. No big deal.

The schemes we played at the end of halves tonight are very similar to the schemes we’ve typically played in the regular season games.

So saying this is just preseason scheming is probably not entirely accurate.

Frankly, it’s always been one of my biggest pet peeves with Marinelli. He does some really good things but his bend but don’t break zones at the end of halves can be very frustrating and I doubt that changes much.

kevm3

Reaction score
Your coach should NOT have a big koolaid smile as the defense gets ripped to shreds. The same guy committing penalties to march the team down the field in crunchtime should at least have a worried look on his face. Yes, this was preseason with 'scrubs', but the problem is we saw the same old story with leaving teams hanging around and them slicing through the defense with ease to win the game. This is a pattern that has persisted over YEARS. Teams have mounted historic comebacks against us and it happens again and Garrett ends the game with a huge smile on his face. Also, the point is to evaluate players, so why didn't they let Mike White air it out more? We need to see what kind of arm talent this guy has.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

No big deal to YOU. But the players play to win, and I watch to win. Call it what you wish, but those players were still competing, and you don't compete to lose. Well maybe you do, but I don't. I understand and respect your point of view, but it doesn't apply to all of us.

AtlCPA

Reaction score
The schemes we played at the end of halves tonight are very similar to the schemes we’ve typically played in the regular season games.

So saying this is just preseason scheming is probably not entirely accurate.

Frankly, it’s always been one of my biggest pet peeves with Marinelli. He does some really good things but his bend but don’t break zones at the end of halves can be very frustrating and I doubt that changes much.
No teams run the same schemes in preseason that they run in the regular season, and there are good reasons for this. If you believe otherwise, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Sydla

Reaction score
No teams run the same schemes in preseason that they run in the regular season, and there are good reasons for this. If you believe otherwise, we will just have to agree to disagree.

This is largely a canard that teams don’t run stuff in preseason that they run in the regular season. They actually do run some of their stuff in preseason.

And yes, in regular season games Marinelli has a habit of playing soft deep zones at the end of halves just like he did tonight.

AtlCPA

Reaction score
No big deal to YOU. But the players play to win, and I watch to win. Call it what you wish, but those players were still competing, and you don't compete to lose. Well maybe you do, but I don't. I respect your point of view, but it doesn't apply to all of us.
Almost all of the players competing at the end of the game will not make an NFL roster. I would rather our coaches use the preseason to evaluate players and prepare the team for the regular season instead of just trying to win the preseason games.

To put this in perspective, the Browns went 4-0 in the preseason last year, and went 0-16 in the regular season.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Almost all of the players competing at the end of the game will not make an NFL roster.
I would rather our coaches use the preseason to evaluate players and prepare the team for the regular season instead of just trying to win the preseason games.

I would rather they did both. I'm of the opinion that those coaches are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time.

The players are doing the same thing, they're trying to make the team, but they're also competing, and a competitor wants to win.

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score
Waving monkey, you object, maybe because it's preseason, but I am seeing some of the same things that have prevented us from reaching the ultimate prize...coaching in crunch time. We shall see how the season plays out.
just ribbing

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Almost all of the players competing at the end of the game will not make an NFL roster. I would rather our coaches use the preseason to evaluate players and prepare the team for the regular season instead of just trying to win the preseason games.

To put this in perspective, the Browns went 4-0 in the preseason last year, and went 0-16 in the regular season.
Detroit went 4-0 in preseason the same year they went 0-16. On the flip side the Patriots went 0-4 in preseason the year they went 16-0