Pre-Training Camp 53-Man Roster Predictions

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Mine:

DL (10)
- Lawrence, Gregory, Collins, Crawford, Charlton, Ward, Price, Armstrong, Ealy, Tapper. In order of best/most important to least. Sub Irving for lowest performer (likely Tapper) when his suspension is over, because he won't be on the opening day 53 due to suspension. Irving becomes the 2nd or 3rd best player on the DL. Tapper becomes PS fodder, you stash him there and accept it if he gets poached.

LB (6) - Lee, LVE, Smith, Thomas, Wilson, special teamer (JML?)... could be the best/deepest in the NFL. Carolina's starting LB corps is still king, but Thomas Davis is on his last legs and suspended, too.

S (3) - Woods, Frazier, Heath. Obviously if you add ET, it becomes 4.

CB (5) - Awuzie, Jones, Lewis, Brown, and one more for STs. If you add ET, you cut this guy because Heath will be almost exclusively a STer.

ST (3) - Bailey, Jones, Ladouceur

OL (8) - Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Fleming, Looney, Martin. Chaz green is likely practice squad fodder.

QB (3) - Prescott, White, Rush. Rush has a little experience, but White is very talented.

RB (4) - Elliott, Smith, Austin, Jackson. Scarbrough makes the practice squad.

FB (1) - Olawale. Unlike the standard FB, Olawale is actually a real threat to run. 4.53 40 time makes him the fastest FB in the league by a decent margin. Most run more like tight ends, but not the Nigerian bulldog.

WR (6) - Gallup, Hurns, Beasley, Thompson, Williams, Wilson. I don't think they keep Noah Brown, because they keep another tight end in Jarwin.

TE (4) - Gathers, Swaim, Schultz, Jarwin. I have high optimism and expectations for Gathers, perhaps he can be a slightly poorer man's early-career version of Jimmy Graham in time. Swaim is the main in-line blocking TE in 12 and 22 formations, he can also play the motion H-back like Hanna did. Schultz has good potential to become a very well rounded TE in time, just needs more experience. Jarwin is a project but should provide pretty good depth and ST play for now.

= 53

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Mine:

DL (10)
- Lawrence, Gregory, Collins, Crawford, Charlton, Ward, Price, Armstrong, Ealy, Tapper. In order of best/most important to least. Sub Irving for lowest performer (likely Tapper) when his suspension is over, because he won't be on the opening day 53 due to suspension. Irving becomes the 2nd or 3rd best player on the DL. Tapper becomes PS fodder, you stash him there and accept it if he gets poached.

LB (6) - Lee, LVE, Smith, Thomas, Wilson, special teamer (JML?)... could be the best/deepest in the NFL. Carolina's starting LB corps is still king, but Thomas Davis is on his last legs and suspended, too.

CB (5) - Awuzie, Jones, Lewis, Brown, and one more for STs. If you add ET, you cut this guy because Heath will be almost exclusively a STer.

OL (8) - Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Fleming, Looney, Martin. Chaz green is likely practice squad fodder.

QB (3) - Prescott, White, Rush. Rush has a little experience, but White is very talented.

FB (1) - Olawale. Unlike the standard FB, Olawale is actually a real threat to run. 4.53 40 time makes him the fastest FB in the league by a decent margin. Most run more like tight ends, but not the Nigerian bulldog.

WR (6) - Gallup, Hurns, Beasley, Thompson, Williams, Wilson. I don't think they keep Noah Brown, because they keep another tight end in Jarwin.

TE (4) - Gathers, Swaim, Schultz, Jarwin. I have high optimism and expectations for Gathers, perhaps he can be a slightly poorer man's early-career version of Jimmy Graham in time. Swaim is the main in-line blocking TE in 12 and 22 formations, he can also play the motion H-back like Hanna did. Schultz has good potential to become a very well rounded TE in time, just needs more experience. Jarwin is a project but should provide pretty good depth and ST play for now.

= 53

I think that sounds about right, yes. I will concur with this. The only change I might make is that Rush might end up on the PS again in favour of a DB or a DL.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I think Duke wins the last CB spot, if he hadn't gotten injured last year he could have made it over White. Guy was active in preseason, for a bottom of the roster player hes still got some game. Charvarius Ward is also an interesting guy. He could very well make the team since he fits the bill. I could see him or Duke getting poached on PS.

Last S/LB spots are interesting because of the several guys we have that could be hybrid LB/S guys in packages. Queiro and Kelly. They both have ball skills, and just seem to make plays. Itll be interesting to see how they develop, and we do have some depth at LB, so maybe they decide to go with a hybrid guy that's above average in coverage at the LB spot in passing downs that may have a future at S as well.

Pretty much agree on everything else. When you look at it on paper, this looks like the best depth on defense we've had in a long time. Finally.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mine:

DL (10)

= 53
Good work here. I have a few minor disagreements. I don’t think Gathers makes the team, but if he does, he will be as the 3rd or 4th option. I think Charles Tapper gets released in Sept, and I have some doubts that Kony Ealy will be on the squad. The only other tweak I would add is I think there will be 2-3 new faces on the final 53 that aren’t currently with the team. Perhaps a TE, S, DT or WR.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I think Duke wins the last CB spot, if he hadn't gotten injured last year he could have made it over White. Guy was active in preseason, for a bottom of the roster player hes still got some game. Charvarius Ward is also an interesting guy. He could very well make the team since he fits the bill. I could see him or Duke getting poached on PS.

Last S/LB spots are interesting because of the several guys we have that could be hybrid LB/S guys in packages. Queiro and Kelly. They both have ball skills, and just seem to make plays. Itll be interesting to see how they develop, and we do have some depth at LB, so maybe they decide to go with a hybrid guy that's above average in coverage at the LB spot in passing downs that may have a future at S as well.

Pretty much agree on everything else. When you look at it on paper, this looks like the best depth on defense we've had in a long time. Finally.
The hybrid guy at either 6th LB or 4th safety (5th if we get ET) will only see the field on special teams.

The best news is that not only do we have supreme talent at LB this year, but also depth. If Sean Lee or someone does miss time, we have a great plan B this year. People forget just how good Joe Thomas is/was for the Packers when he had the opportunity. He was by far their best ILB (they run a 3-4) and he would be an OLB in a 4-3. It's not a lot to say, because the Packers' ILBs traditionally always suck, but when scrubs like Ryan and Martinez were making weak tackles 6-10 yards past the line of scrimmage on running plays, Joe Thomas actually was getting into the backfield and making tackles near the line. He's also quick and solid in coverage. The only bad thing is he might get paid next year and leave us if one of our brilliant starters misses any significant time. Because Joe Thomas is good. His main problem in Green Bay was injuries.

Last edited:

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Good work here. I have a few minor disagreements. I don’t think Gathers makes the team, but if he does, he will be as the 3rd or 4th option. I think Charles Tapper gets released in Sept, and I have some doubts that Kony Ealy will be on the squad. The only other tweak I would add is I think there will be 2-3 new faces on the final 53 that aren’t currently with the team. Perhaps a TE, S, DT or WR.
Gathers is the best receiving TE on the team, by far. Cowboys just need to make sure we use him like the Saints used Jimmy Graham, and definitely not like how the Seahawks did (except in the red zone where they actually used him properly).

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
QB (3): Dak, Rush, White

RB (3): Zeke, Bo, Smith

FB (1): Olawale

WR (6): Hurns, Beasley, Twill, Gallup, Brown, Austin

TE (3): Shultz, Swaim, Jarwin

OL (9): Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Fleming, M. Martin, Looney, Green

DL (10): Lawrence, Crawford, Gregory, Collins, Irving, Ward, Charlton, Price, Armstrong, Ealy

LB (6): LVE, Lee, J. Smith, Wilson, Thomas, Covington

DB (9): Chido, Lewis, Jones, Brown, White, Woods, Heath, Frazier, D. Thomas

ST (3): Bailey, LP, Jones

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gathers is the best receiving TE on the team, by far. Cowboys just need to make sure we use him like the Saints used Jimmy Graham, and definitely not like how the Seahawks did (except in the red zone where they actually used him properly).
Sorry man, just my opinion but I don’t see Rico anywhere near the talent of Jimmy Graham. It didn’t take Jimmy Graham 3 years to make a roster.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Sorry man, just my opinion but I don’t see Rico anywhere near the talent of Jimmy Graham. It didn’t take Jimmy Graham 3 years to make a roster.
Saints didn't have a Witten either. Gathers had a bad concussion last August otherwise he would have easily been the #3 TE at worst after dominating the preseason.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If(when) Dak gets hurt and can't play a few weeks, he may not find his job still available for him to just step back into. I think White would do such a good job at leading this team that the coaches would be hesitant to bench him. Anyone concur?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Suspended/Pup: Irving and Collins

QB: Dak Rush White

RB: Zeke Rod Tavon Jackson

WR: Hurns Gallup Beasley Wilson Twill Brown

TE: Swaim Jarwin Schultz

OL: Smith Fred Martin Collins Williams Fleming Looney Mama

DL: Dlaw Gregory Price Crawford Armstrong Ward Jones Taco Ealy

LB: LVE Lee Smith Thomas Covington JML Wilson

S: Woods Frazier Heath UDFA

CB: Jones Lewis Awuzie Brown Thomas Ward

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Suspended/Pup: Irving and Collins

QB: Dak Rush White

RB: Zeke Rod Tavon Jackson

WR: Hurns Gallup Beasley Wilson Twill Brown

TE: Swaim Jarwin Schultz

OL: Smith Fred Martin Collins Williams Fleming Looney Mama

DL: Dlaw Gregory Price Crawford Armstrong Ward Jones Taco Ealy

LB: LVE Lee Smith Thomas Covington JML Wilson

S: Woods Frazier Heath UDFA

CB: Jones Lewis Awuzie Brown Thomas Ward
Mama over Gathers... yeah no.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If(when) Dak gets hurt and can't play a few weeks, he may not find his job still available for him to just step back into. I think White would do such a good job at leading this team that the coaches would be hesitant to bench him. Anyone concur?
Dak hurt? He’s started 32 consecutive games as a pro and hasn’t missed a game since his sophomore yr in college. He’s tough and sturdy. All players are one play away from injury but he’s built like a LB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dak hurt? He’s started 32 consecutive games as a pro and hasn’t missed a game since his sophomore yr in college. He’s tough and sturdy. All players are one play away from injury but he’s built like a LB.
He's due for a serious injury. Don't be so defensive for your boy Dak. He's my QB of choice too. Just saying he has a really excellent backup waiting in the wings.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's due for a serious injury. Don't be so defensive for your boy Dak. He's my QB of choice too. Just saying he has a really excellent backup waiting in the wings.
Not being defensive, just surprised at the thought. And how do we know White is an excellent backup since he’s never played a down of NFL football? Not saying he isn’t, I just don’t see how any of us know yet.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not being defensive, just surprised at the thought. And how do we know White is an excellent backup since he’s never played a down of NFL football? Not saying he isn’t, I just don’t see how any of us know yet.
The pro-style offense of WKU is perfect for a QB to make a smooth transition from there to the pros. I guess you didn't follow Mike White's college career. Dude is a superstar ready to burst on the scene. Us scouting oriented types know and the rest like you just don't yet see what we see. I believe you when you say you don't see it yet. Here's some help for you...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The pro-style offense of WKU is perfect for a QB to make a smooth transition from there to the pros. I guess you didn't follow Mike White's college career. Dude is a superstar ready to burst on the scene. Us scouting oriented types know and the rest like you just don't yet see what we see. I believe you when you say you don't see it yet. Here's some help for you...

I'm scout oriented. Hopefully he develops into a quality backup for our franchise QB, Dak.

When will people learn adding highlight reels doesnt mean anything and doesnt help their point at all?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm scout oriented. Hopefully he develops into a quality backup for our franchise QB, Dak.

When will people learn adding highlight reels doesnt mean anything and doesnt help their point at all?
Work on that scouting then because Mike White is already developed and ready to go. Dak is our fanchise QB and I wish him all the success in the world. But there is nothing wrong with having an understudy that's ready to fill in without missing a step. Why does that threaten some folks?