Twitter: Prescott By The Numbers: Facts Over Fiction

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I'm not making a case for the abolishment of stats. I never said stats are a bad thing.

There was a time in the NFL, not that long ago, when scouts were the main source of information. Stats weren't even kept at the level they are today. It has never been easier to actually watch prospects play then it is today.

Why won't you answer the simple hypothetical question? It's just a thought experiment. It does not even imply a right or a wrong, nor does it suggest that either option is irrelevant.

If you were betting your career on it, would you choose stats or film to evaluate FA's/Draftees if hypothetically you could only choose one?

Maybe a non-football example will help illustrate the thought process.

I like ketchup and mustard on my burgers. I don't want to give up either and I don't have to give up either. But, If hypothetically I needed to give up one it would be an easy choice for me.

i get what your saying, and i said i'll choose film, but wouldn't i be watching the film to see what happened on the plays? I would watch the film to get the stats (data) i needed, that was my point. Now with these stats they can look at those to see where to go on the film faster.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
As a GM i believe both film and stats are equally important. As far as who he would take between Jones and Prescott.... I'll put it to you this way. If Dak and Jones could re-enter the draft based on their capabilities, and both of them were available in the draft, I believe BB takes Prescott.

Now thats unfair to Jones to say that because Dak has 5 seasons of more professional experience than he does. I'll put it to you like this. If scouts knew what Dak was capable of, do you think he still drops into the 4th round??? I definitely don't think Dak makes it out of the first round.

On another note, who do you think Dak would have flourished better under???? Jason Garrett or BB??? I think we all know the answer to that as well. Let's not act like Dak had a better teacher than Jones coming out of college.
Do you know what "hypothetical" means?

It doesn't appear so. You have twisted every question into something it is not, then answered it as if it was what you turned it into.

Stats/Film... pick one.
Mac/Dak as of right now. Who does BB pick? Dak has the stats. Mac doesn't, yet.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
My point is. They got better. That’s all
Okay. Fair enough.

At what point do guys like Manning and Brees stop being used as this sort of barometer for Dak improving?

I mean we're at the point now in Dak's career where Manning and Brees were winning MVPS, finishing 2nd in MVP voting, going to conference championship game (In Manning's case).

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Absolutely not true. Everyone who was on the old forums would see when I would give Romo props. If anything, you were also one of them Romo fanatics who didn't like when Romo got criticized as much. I bash Dak on here when he deserves it, unlike what so many of you die hards refused to do to Romo back in the day.

See the bolded part? You are flat out lying! In your eyes Dak can do no wrong, and if he does do wrong, in your eyes it is always someone else's fault.

And your tired "Romo went Hollywood" has to be one of the most stupid things that always comes out of your mouth.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Okay. Fair enough.

At what point do guys like Manning and Brees stop being used as this sort of barometer for Dak improving?

I mean we're at the point now in Dak's career where Manning and Brees were winning MVPS, finishing 2nd in MVP voting, going to conference championship game (In Manning's case).

but thats the problem with putting a franchises woes on one player, it cant be proven he is the problem because he has played well and yet they have not won anything of significance and that has a 26 year long back story....its just an opinionated argument that comes back to "This is what i believe" and until the 26 year problem is broke by him or by him leaving...this will be the two sided argument that can never be won.

GINeric

Reaction score
Do you know what "hypothetical" means?

It doesn't appear so. You have twisted every question into something it is not, then answered it as if it was what you turned it into.

Stats/Film... pick one.
Mac/Dak as of right now. Who does BB pick? Dak has the stats. Mac doesn't, yet.

You lost me at "doesn't know what hypothetical mean" I didn't come at you like that, so miss me with the BS.

To answer your lil question I think BB would take Dak right now over Jones.

Now answer MY question. When people get max contracts, bonuses, extentions, pro bowl votes, and inducted into the HOF..... do the general managers, owners and voters use film or stats to make these decisions???

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
i get what your saying, and i said i'll choose film, but wouldn't i be watching the film to see what happened on the plays? I would watch the film to get the stats (data) i needed, that was my point. Now with these stats they can look at those to see where to go on the film faster.
At the end of that process you would be using stats though. You just compiled them yourself from watching the film. It violates the hypothetical 'one or the other' scenario.

If I had to choose I would pick film and I would study the player himself. The way he compiled his stats tells me more about him then just the end result. Seeing how a player performs on each individual play tells me more about him than his season/career stats do. Not to mention all the intangibles you can learn from watching, which the stats won't tell me.

Obviously I'm going to use both in the real world, but if I had to choose... it's an easy choice for me.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
At the end of that process you would be using stats though. You just compiled them yourself from watching the film. It violates the hypothetical 'one or the other' scenario.

If I had to choose I would pick film and I would study the player himself. The way he compiled his stats tells me more about him then just the end result. Seeing how a player performs on each individual play tells me more about him than his season/career stats do. Not to mention all the intangibles you can learn from watching, which the stats won't tell me.

Obviously I'm going to use both in the real world, but if I had to choose... it's an easy choice for me.

not to beat this into the ground but you just said basically what i said, the diference is your not gonna write what happened down i guess? you would be watching what that player is good at and what he needs work on..."This set he worked well in, this call is asking to much of him..ect etc) again i get what your saying and yes you need to see him play to answer any questions fully.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
You lost me at "doesn't know what hypothetical mean" I didn't come at you like that, so miss me with the BS.

To answer your lil question I think BB would take Dak right now over Jones.

Now answer MY question. When people get max contracts, bonuses, extentions, pro bowl votes, and inducted into the HOF..... do the general managers, owners and voters use film or stats to make these decisions???
I didn't come at you. You aren't responding as if you are understanding the point.

That would surprise me. Jones looked pretty good for a rookie starter. I bet BB would stick with him.

You didn't answer the main question. Stats or film?

You are equating apple with oranges with your question. All of those things have nothing to do with the evaluation of a player to decide if he is a good fit for your team, which is the central aspect of this hypothetical thought experiment. You aren't even treating it as that. Which is why I asked you if you knew what it meant. No offense intended. We're all brothers and sisters here.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
See the bolded part? You are flat out lying! In your eyes Dak can do no wrong, and if he does do wrong, in your eyes it is always someone else's fault.

And your tired "Romo went Hollywood" has to be one of the most stupid things that always comes out of your mouth.
Go lie to your bf, not to me. And, yes, Romo did go Hollywood!

GINeric

Reaction score
yeah I noticed he did not mention game film; he talked about uniform color. Pretty stupid. But then those in love with stats are some of the dumbest people around.

I did mention game film in this thread. Learn to read a little better and you may learn something. You're absolutely right... pretty stupid. Some of the dumbest people don't read all, they cherry pick and then co-sign others. These are some of the dumbest people around. Get bettter, I believe in ya!!

Creeper

Reaction score
OMG, again! I am referring to myself answer to this thread!

Dak does not suck. He is not a bad QB. He is good enough to win a Super Bowl with a good team behind him. Is he elite? NO! He is not elite and does not deserve elite money.

My issue with Dak is he looks elite for 6 or 8 games to start the season then he reverts to something much less, except in games that don't matter like the last game against Washington in 2019 and the last game in 2021 against the 2nd string Eagles team.

I don't know what it is, but he loses that quickness he had early in the season. His decisions take a little longer and he often shies away from throwing downfield. If he would play 14 or 15 games like he plays the first 6 no one would ever complain about Dak.

Now, complaining about Dak is kind of pointless. We are stuck with him the next couple of years. The Cowboys better get a running game because asking Dak to throw 40 times a game is not going to work.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
not to beat this into the ground but you just said basically what i said, the diference is your not gonna write what happened down i guess? you would be watching what that player is good at and what he needs work on..."This set he worked well in, this call is asking to much of him..ect etc) again i get what your saying and yes you need to see him play to answer any questions fully.
I'm sure I would chart things and take notes but I wouldn't care much how many yards a player finished the game with, or how many yards per carry, or completion percentage etc.... The typical stats that are commonly used here to prop up or tear down players.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
OMG, again! I am referring to myself answer to this thread!

Dak does not suck. He is not a bad QB. He is good enough to win a Super Bowl with a good team behind him. Is he elite? NO! He is not elite and does not deserve elite money.

My issue with Dak is he looks elite for 6 or 8 games to start the season then he reverts to something much less, except in games that don't matter like the last game against Washington in 2019 and the last game in 2021 against the 2nd string Eagles team.

I don't know what it is, but he loses that quickness he had early in the season. His decisions take a little longer and he often shies away from throwing downfield. If he would play 14 or 15 games like he plays the first 6 no one would ever complain about Dak.

Now, complaining about Dak is kind of pointless. We are stuck with him the next couple of years. The Cowboys better get a running game because asking Dak to throw 40 times a game is not going to work.
Good points, bro. I read how the Cowboys during mini-camp and OTAs had Dak constantly throwing to WRs that were covered tightly in order to get Dak used to it, work on those "tight window" throws and give the WRs reps at going after contested throws.