Twitter: Prescott By The Numbers: Facts Over Fiction

GINeric

Reaction score
I didn't come at you. You aren't responding as if you are understanding the point.

That would surprise me. Jones looked pretty good for a rookie starter. I bet BB would stick with him.

You didn't answer the main question. Stats or film?

You are equating apple with oranges with your question. All of those things have nothing to do with the evaluation of a player to decide if he is a good fit for your team, which is the central aspect of this hypothetical thought experiment. You aren't even treating it as that. Which is why I asked you if you knew what it meant.

I didn't come at you. You aren't responding as if you are understanding the point.

That would surprise me. Jones looked pretty good for a rookie starter. I bet BB would stick with him.

You didn't answer the main question. Stats or film?

You are equating apple with oranges with your question. All of those things have nothing to do with the evaluation of a player to decide if he is a good fit for your team, which is the central aspect of this hypothetical thought experiment. You aren't even treating it as that. Which is why I asked you if you knew what it meant. No offense intended. We're all brothers and sisters here.

Ok. If im a GM, im focusing on stats first because they tell me more overall than film. I can use those stats to further investigate specific places in specific game film to justify those stats.

To answer your question, stats.

Haimerej

Reaction score
When it comes to player evaluation you simply have to watch film. Stats never tell the full story.

For example, two guys get 30 rushes a game. First guy ends up with 115 yards and the other gets 137. Guy with 115 ran into stacked boxes all game but never lost more than 1 yard while never gaining more than 8. Guy with 137 had several rushes lose 3 or 4 yards but he broke a 78 yarder when he got into the secondary and the safety missed the tackle and took out the guy who was gaining on him.

Just looking at stats the guy with 137 yards had a better day, but his team lost by a touchdown because he was stuffed on short yardage at the end of the game. They also had less time of possession because the winning RB kept his team in more manageable downs and distances. There was also a TD pass the QB only completed because the RB picked up the blitz, etc.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Absolutely not true. Everyone who was on the old forums would see when I would give Romo props. If anything, you were also one of them Romo fanatics who didn't like when Romo got criticized as much. I bash Dak on here when he deserves it, unlike what so many of you die hards refused to do to Romo back in the day.
Love ya man, but I have never seen you bash Dak, never.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I'm sure I would chart things and take notes but I wouldn't care much how many yards a player finished the game with, or how many yards per carry, or completion percentage etc.... The typical stats that are commonly used here to prop up or tear down players.

I said this in another post to someone, thats because there is no way to win either side of this argument, Dak has not played bad and he has also not won anything....with a 26 year long evidence locker built in everyone needs to go to other teams QB's wether bad or good to try prove thier argument. To me that doesnt make the stats empty or meaningless, it just proves that there is no stellar argument on either side of the Dak fence and wont be until he wins here or he leaves and they win without him...Problem is once again we have good proof he leaves not winning and we dont win after. Good news Romo should be clear by then and Dak willtake his place as the reason as the new guy gets pounded into the ground over not being able to bring this FO glory.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
This team isn't built to succeed in the playoffs. Is that Dak's fault his defense sucks? Was it Romo's fault his defenses sucked?

Mark Sanchez went to two AFCCG, why? Because the Jets had a stout defense and their offense was a run first offense. Defense matters in the playoffs. And to those that can't understand that simple fact, you are not even worth talking too.

Complete teams win Super Bowls, not this one sided BS Jerry keeps trotting out there. So the problem has never been Romo or Dak, it's Jerry's team building philosophy... that's been the real problem.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think so.

A huge portion of fantasy football players are casuals that don't really watch or have a favorite team.

They couldn't careless if the Cowboys are down 41-14 to the Browns going into the 4th quarter, but if they have Dak as their QB they sure do care that he threw for 500 yards and 4 TDs when the game was over at halftime. How the numbers came to be doesn't matter at all to them. I think a lot of the fans here that base all of their opinions on stats don't really know much at all about what's happening on the field.
This is not true.
I have been running teams for over 30 years in the FF world, and there are even current posters here, still on this site that have played in my leagues.
I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of how the FF game is played, and there is absolutely no relationship to reality of the real game, the real NFL and my evaluations on player talent.
FF is all about stats, and exagerated stats make you money.
I own Dak in a Dynasty league and he is top 5 in scoring stats for FF, but in no way do I value Dak as top 5 in the real game...
That is just total absurd nonsense.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Don’t care if he’s the statistical #1 QB in the NFL. All I care about is is he good enough to take this team to the super bowl? Yes, absolutely.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Do you know what "hypothetical" means?

It doesn't appear so. You have twisted every question into something it is not, then answered it as if it was what you turned it into.

Stats/Film... pick one.
Mac/Dak as of right now. Who does BB pick? Dak has the stats. Mac doesn't, yet.

Its not even close buddy. BB picks Dak without hesitation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
OMG, again! I am referring to myself answer to this thread!

Dak does not suck. He is not a bad QB. He is good enough to win a Super Bowl with a good team behind him. Is he elite? NO! He is not elite and does not deserve elite money.

My issue with Dak is he looks elite for 6 or 8 games to start the season then he reverts to something much less, except in games that don't matter like the last game against Washington in 2019 and the last game in 2021 against the 2nd string Eagles team.

I don't know what it is, but he loses that quickness he had early in the season. His decisions take a little longer and he often shies away from throwing downfield. If he would play 14 or 15 games like he plays the first 6 no one would ever complain about Dak.

Now, complaining about Dak is kind of pointless. We are stuck with him the next couple of years. The Cowboys better get a running game because asking Dak to throw 40 times a game is not going to work.

You need to understand how football works buddy. Dak looked different in the 2nd half because the line was different and the run game was different. He also had two games without Cooper and Lamb.

Not rocket science. You would be hard pressed to find a QB that has EVER won a SB that didnt have a great team around him. Why would Dak or Romo, or any QB be any different?

You think Mahomes, Brady, Stafford didnt have great teams around them? All also had great coaching. Have Romo and Dak had great coaching? How about a great GM?

QB's need players around them to play well in order for them to showcase their talent.

The thing I like most about Dak is when Dak has quality players around him on offense he plays great consistently. We saw that even in his rookie year.

Just look what happened to Mahomes in the SB two years ago. He lost a couple starters on the Oline the week prior to the SB and he couldnt even score a TD. 3 FG's in the SB against the Bucs.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
This is not true.
I have been running teams for over 30 years in the FF world, and there are even current posters here, still on this site that have played in my leagues.
I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of how the FF game is played, and there is absolutely no relationship to reality of the real game, the real NFL and my evaluations on player talent.
FF is all about stats, and exagerated stats make you money.
I own Dak in a Dynasty league and he is top 5 in scoring stats for FF, but in no way do I value Dak as top 5 in the real game...
That is just total absurd nonsense.

Here's how I vaule Dak - not once in his time here have I felt that Dak was definitely going to win championships for this team. There hasn't been a stretch of games where i felt 'holy hell, this team might actually compete for a super bowl'. But I never felt that way with Romo either. To me Romo didn't seem to care if the team succeeded or not, and Dak seems like everything around him is going to have to be perfect for him to have success against better competition. But I do understand Dak is the best chance at success right now. He's the only serviceable QB on the roster

Trust me, brother, I have...a few times when Dak has deserved it.

But this rarely happens. Like almost never. Dak can't do anything wrong in your mind. Its like an overprotective parent who constantly makes excuses for their screw up children. And no, I don't think Dak is a screw up.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Its not even close buddy. BB picks Dak without hesitation.

You have personal insight into BB's thought process? There's no way in hell you can say BB picks Dak without hesitation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You have personal insight into BB's thought process? There's no way in hell you can say BB picks Dak without hesitation.

Do you? Its common sense. Dak is much better.

The fact that you havent figured this all out after 6 years is inconsequential.

jnday

Reaction score
https://hennythemoor.org/2022/06/18/prescott-by-the-numbers-facts-over-fiction/

Is Prescott Accurate?

Can Prescott beat winning teams?

Can Cowboys win #6 with Prescott?

.......Eye Test Out...Dak Hate On!!

Once again the reality of Dak is ignored. His numbers looks just wonderful and they would be so impressive if those numbers translated to playoff wins, Super Bowl wins or wins against the better teams in the league. Before somebody brings up the fact that Dak has dominated the lowly NFCE, take a minute and think about that. Those wins against the NFCE are among the least impressive accomplishments that a pro football team can make. The positive thing about Dak is that he is what he is at this point of his career. He has played long enough to know who and what he is at this point. He has reached the point where they know what he is and there is not a lot of improvement coming from him now that he has reached his peak.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
LOL. Sure. Whatever you say. Jason Witten was a year from retirement. You say HOF TE like he was the same Witten that Romo had. He wasnt. You skew whatever you can to make yourself feel better. Its fine. Its who you are. My statement was that no ELITE QB wins without help. Thats all. Obviously Tom Brady is not included here because hes freaking Tom Brady.
But even tom brady had a top 10 defense for like 15 straight years

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Here's how I vaule Dak - not once in his time here have I felt that Dak was definitely going to win championships for this team. There hasn't been a stretch of games where i felt 'holy hell, this team might actually compete for a super bowl'. But I never felt that way with Romo either. To me Romo didn't seem to care if the team succeeded or not, and Dak seems like everything around him is going to have to be perfect for him to have success against better competition. But I do understand Dak is the best chance at success right now. He's the only serviceable QB on the roster

But this rarely happens. Like almost never. Dak can't do anything wrong in your mind. Its like an overprotective parent who constantly makes excuses for their screw up children. And no, I don't think Dak is a screw up.
I couldn't agree with you more, Im just a fan like you and we both would never dismiss this Star because of a QB that we don't approve of.
Dak however is a serviceable QB that could improve his game with everything coming together at the right time in his career, its now or never.
This OL has to improve.
The running game has to improve.
Moore has to extract everything he can from a limited backfield, yes Im calling Zeke and Pollard both limited as the RB1 and RB2, and why I have spoken out many times about the importance of at least developing a RB3 worth rostering.
Receivers have to come into play early, I said receivers because that includes anyone on this roster that can catch the ball.
That is a lot of ifs for this franchise to achieve offensively, and basically what this offense has to do to remain even relevant.

nobody

Reaction score
Love ya man, but I have never seen you bash Dak, never.

That's not entirely true. AC acknowledged that Dak choked in the most recent playoff game just like the entire team did. There were no excuses.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Ok. If im a GM, im focusing on stats first because they tell me more overall than film. I can use those stats to further investigate specific places in specific game film to justify those stats.

To answer your question, stats.

You can't use film in this hypothetical. Stats OR film.