Prescott hasn't touched base with CeeDee Lamb yet

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Dak’s passive aggressive behavior towards Dallas make this a holdout? Like Zeke last Summer?
How is he exhibiting PA behavior?

Can't be a holdout since he's not under contract. And he's never even hinted that he wouldn't sign the tag and show up on July 15. Not once.

He is, most likely, following the script laid out by his agent as long as the Joneses refuse to give up on this 5+ year contract negotiation. If the rumor is true, his agent fired that 45M for the 5th year and most likely a higher guarantee across their bow, which they chose to leak, just like they did that lie that he was demanding 40M a year.

If anyone has exhibited aggressive behavior, it is the Joneses with their leaks to the media. They pulled this same stunt with Bryant about that mysterious parking lot video.

Prescott has played this exactly as he should. He is not presently the DC QB so why should he have contacted the #1 pick? He's been working out with Elliott and Bryant because he has a relationship with them. He will have time to build one with Lamb when they both become Cowboys.

And for those questioning his leadership, he is not presently the DC QB and do you think one of those players, any one of those players, gives a damn? He's playing the real game all of them play.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Can't be a holdout since he's not under contract. And he's never even hinted that he wouldn't sign the tag and show up on July 15. Not once.

He is, most likely, following the script laid out by his agent as long as the Joneses refuse to give up on this 5+ year contract negotiation. If the rumor is true, his agent fired that 45M for the 5th year and most likely a higher guarantee across their bow, which they chose to leak, just like they did that lie that he was demanding 40M a year.

If anyone has exhibited aggressive behavior, it is the Joneses with their leaks to the media. They pulled this same stunt with Bryant about that mysterious parking lot video.

Prescott has played this exactly as he should. He is not presently the DC QB so why should he have contacted the #1 pick? He's been working out with Elliott and Bryant because he has a relationship with them. He will have time to build one with Lamb when they both become Cowboys.

And for those questioning his leadership, he is not presently the DC QB and do you think one of those players, any one of those players, gives a damn? He's playing the real game all of them play.

Example:

“People with passive-aggressive behavior express their negative feelings subtly through their actions instead of handling them directly. This creates a separation between what they say and what they do. For example, say someone proposes a plan at work. ... having a cynical, pessimistic, or aggressive demeanor.“

By ignoring his responsibilities as the starter, he is exhibiting PA.

He also seems to be in a “virtual” holdout.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Short-sighted Prescott Ceedee Lamb no contact fixation in here. Why not insist that Dak contacts all the free agents we signed, and the other players we selected in the draft including the undrafted players and the entire coaching staff. Let's make sure Dak is also held accountable for not reaching out to the conditioning and medical staff including the team psychologist, the stadium maintenance staff, the events coordinator and let's throw in the groundskeeper.

Shall we hold a candlelight vigil?

Mike McCarthy and Kellen Moore don't seem to be upset about no Dak CeeDee contact. The ownership doesn't seem to be bitter about Prescott not being in touch with CeeDee Lamb. Maybe they don't want Dak to be in touch with anyone until he signs the tender at the very least, with the exception of enabling him to voluntarily work out with Zeke and Dez who is not even on the team. Notice Dak isn't talking Cowboys goings on with the media either.
Daks is proving himself to be true self serving prick, but I do agree with everything you said.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Example:

“People with passive-aggressive behavior express their negative feelings subtly through their actions instead of handling them directly. This creates a separation between what they say and what they do. For example, say someone proposes a plan at work. ... having a cynical, pessimistic, or aggressive demeanor.“

By ignoring his responsibilities as the starter, he is exhibiting PA.

He also seems to be in a “virtual” holdout.
You do realize that he has until July 15 to sign the tag? He has no responsibilities as the starter right now because he is not a Cowboy. Neither is Lamb. He is not a "virtual" holdout and has never insinuated that he would not sign the tag and show up for work on time.

The Dakaters have just taken the opportunity to lob more grenades his way and the guy has done nothing but follow the recommendations of the guy he will pay 3% of his gross earnings to and the guy negotiating his endorsement deals.

How is the hell does he end up on the short end in this discussion when management is trying to go against the grain of every QB contract being 4 years over the last few seasons? They're the ones dragging this out, not Prescott or his agent.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Daks is proving himself to be true self serving prick, but I do agree with everything you said.
Wow, because he's trying to get the best deal for himself? Other players can do the very same thing yet he's a self serving prick? Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson got theirs and so will Mahomes, Jackson and Watson, are they self serving pricks too?

I am neither a Dakster or Dakater but trying to make him out to be the bad guy in this is total BS. Like you wouldn't try to get every dime you could from a guy picking players from a 250M boat? Laughable.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Wow, because he's trying to get the best deal for himself? Other players can do the very same thing yet he's a self serving prick? Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson got theirs and so will Mahomes, Jackson and Watson, are they self serving pricks too?

I am neither a Dakster or Dakater but trying to make him out to be the bad guy in this is total BS. Like you wouldn't try to get every dime you could from a guy picking players from a 250M boat? Laughable.
Laugh and lose.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I wonder what people think a negotiation is. It's BOTH sides trying to get the best deal possible. And both sides could be called greedy, but there isn't any point in negotiating at all if a party isn't trying to get more than the other side is offering. That's just the process.

Of course, the fact the negotiation with Dak has lingered for a while makes people antsy, and I get that, but why is Dak necessarily the greedy prick? It's actually kind of humorous that Jerry isn't being called the greedy prick for a change.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder what people think a negotiation is. It's BOTH sides trying to get the best deal possible. And both sides could be called greedy, but there isn't any point in negotiating at all if a party isn't trying to get more than the other side is offering. That's just the process.

Of course, the fact the negotiation with Dak has lingered for a while makes people antsy, and I get that, but why is Dak necessarily the greedy prick? It's actually kind of humorous that Jerry isn't being called the greedy prick for a change.
Posters are just mad because he hasn't signed for what they feel he is deserving of and I don't know how many more they make those decisions on. Who in the hell is anyone here to decide on what another person is worth?

There is one basic fundamental flaw in this type of thinking. It is not one player's job in the NFL to help manage his team's cap. Why is the hell is he the only one responsible with that? Why not Lawrence, Smith, Elliott, Collins or Cooper? They all get every dime they can when they can, that's the NFL game. Oh, because he's going to make more? Well, he is the QB and those 5 I just listed are in the top 5 paid at their position.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posters are just mad because he hasn't signed for what they feel he is deserving of and I don't know how many more they make those decisions on. Who in the hell is anyone here to decide on what another person is worth?

There is one basic fundamental flaw in this type of thinking. It is not one player's job in the NFL to help manage his team's cap. Why is the hell is he the only one responsible with that? Why not Lawrence, Smith, Elliott, Collins or Cooper? They all get every dime they can when they can, that's the NFL game. Oh, because he's going to make more? Well, he is the QB and those 5 I just listed are in the top 5 paid at their position.
I think a lot just say he's not worth it because it sounds like a lot of money, and don't bother to understand that, while it certainly is a lot of money, that's just the nature of the NFL these days. And what they also don't consider is the fact QB pay (and pay at other positions) has skyrocketed is because the teams have been willing to pay it. The teams made their own bed. But that's how competition works, and teams are in competition for the services of players.

cowboyed

Reaction score

Believe me I am not a big fan of how Dak and his agent are handling contract matters. I try to temper myself that for 4 years Dak didn't whine about his compensation.

Dak should take into consideration that being the starting quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys will generate significant second income from endorsements.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It's not a matter of Jerry not wanting to hand out the money. He has to do that anyway. If not for the salary cap, I'm sure he would've made most of the players on the team the highest paid in the league at their respective positions.

I'm not saying this is all Dak's fault, because I have no idea what he's been officially offered and what he's rejected, or why. If one were to believe the reports that he wants a shorter contract, so he can get more money in a few years............Sorry, there's no way around it. He's being greedy. Negotiating a contract or not, right or wrong, you simply can't call it anything but greedy that he wants more than $30 million a year, or whatever the actual figure is. He plays a game for a living, and if he's got even the slightest bit of intelligence, whatever they're offering is enough for him and his family to live extremely well for the rest of their lives......and that's not even including endorsements.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not a matter of Jerry not wanting to hand out the money. He has to do that anyway. If not for the salary cap, I'm sure he would've made most of the players on the team the highest paid in the league at their respective positions.

I'm not saying this is all Dak's fault, because I have no idea what he's been officially offered and what he's rejected, or why. If one were to believe the reports that he wants a shorter contract, so he can get more money in a few years............Sorry, there's no way around it. He's being greedy. Negotiating a contract or not, right or wrong, you simply can't call it anything but greedy that he wants more than $30 million a year, or whatever the actual figure is. He plays a game for a living, and if he's got even the slightest bit of intelligence, whatever they're offering is enough for him and his family to live extremely well for the rest of their lives......and that's not even including endorsements.

The thing I think may be inaccurate about your post is it's not so much that Dak wants a shorter contract, it's that the Cowboys want a longer one. Wentz, Goff, Wilson etc all signed 4 year extensions, and it appears the Cowboys are wanting a 5 year deal. I think at one point early on Jerry even talked about a 6-7 year deal. Of course we don't know for sure what the sides have talked about, but if, in fact, Dak is asking for 4 years I don't think that's unreasonable given that 4 years seems to be pretty common. I will also say I don't begrudge the team trying to work it out for 5 years either. Negotiations are all about both sides trying to get as much of what they want as they can.

I guess we will have to disagree on him being greedy because he is going to make enough money anyway, and he is playing a game. Why is that take any more fair than if someone were to say the NFL is making enough money anyway, so why can't the NFL and the teams, loosen the purse strings and spread the money around? The NFL is actually lucky to have a salary cap - that's not normal in American business.

In any case, I don't see the fact that Dak is playing a game to be relevant. The NFL doesn't exist for recreation like high school football. It's a business, and Dak is an employee and the Cowboys are an employer, and pay is always a point of contention between employees and ownership. And no employee in any profession wants to feel he/she is getting less than what the market can bear for his services.

Certainly Jerry didn't get rich by thinking he already has enough money and therefore making deals for less than he thinks he can, and he doesn't continue to grow the value of the Cowboys by thinking that way. So why should it be incumbent on the player to think that way?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The thing I think may be inaccurate about your post is it's not so much that Dak wants a shorter contract, it's that the Cowboys want a longer one. Wentz, Goff, Wilson etc all signed 4 year extensions, and it appears the Cowboys are wanting a 5 year deal. I think at one point early on Jerry even talked about a 6-7 year deal. Of course we don't know for sure what the sides have talked about, but if, in fact, Dak is asking for 4 years I don't think that's unreasonable given that 4 years seems to be pretty common. I will also say I don't begrudge the team trying to work it out for 5 years either. Negotiations are all about both sides trying to get as much of what they want as they can.

I guess we will have to disagree on him being greedy because he is going to make enough money anyway, and he is playing a game. Why is that take any more fair than if someone were to say the NFL is making enough money anyway, so why can't the NFL and the teams, loosen the purse strings and spread the money around? The NFL is actually lucky to have a salary cap - that's not normal in American business.

In any case, I don't see the fact that Dak is playing a game to be relevant. The NFL doesn't exist for recreation like high school football. It's a business, and Dak is an employee and the Cowboys are an employer, and pay is always a point of contention between employees and ownership. And no employee in any profession wants to feel he/she is getting less than what the market can bear for his services.

Certainly Jerry didn't get rich by thinking he already has enough money and therefore making deals for less than he thinks he can, and he doesn't continue to grow the value of the Cowboys by thinking that way. So why should it be incumbent on the player to think that way?
I'm not saying any player doesn't have a right to want more money, as every human being on the planet has a right to want more. I'm simply saying anybody who rejects the kind of money we're talking about, because he wants more, is greedy.
Sure, he has the right to be greedy, everyone does. Not everyone is, but it's their choice.
It's very difficult to make a case that he deserves or needs that much money, and in the absence of either of those scenarios, you must conclude that he's being greedy, even if he has every right to be. It doesn't make him a bad person, but it's hard to deny the fact.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Lmao. You mean like Jason Witten? The most selfish player this team has seen in a long time. And his buddy ol pal Romo. None of them had anything to do with their teammates and no one cared.

You guys will piss and moan about anything out there about Dak. Newsflash, he isn't even under contract with Dallas. He has ZERO obligations to this team before a contract gets settled. Hate to break into your fantasy world where there is no business side to this sport. Would you do work for your company and help everyone out if you are not even on the payroll? That would be a no. No one would.

But yeah, reaching out to Ceedee on phone or social media or meeting up and running random routes in June is going to make or break their relationship and this team.

Dak is an actual leader of men. Romo never was. The team rallies around him. They never did with Romo.

Dak Prescott and the players you brought up are mutually exclusive. What they did doesn't excuse his greed.

But hey I appreciate the reply.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying any player doesn't have a right to want more money, as every human being on the planet has a right to want more. I'm simply saying anybody who rejects the kind of money we're talking about, because he wants more, is greedy.
Sure, he has the right to be greedy, everyone does. Not everyone is, but it's their choice.
It's very difficult to make a case that he deserves or needs that much money, and in the absence of either of those scenarios, you must conclude that he's being greedy, even if he has every right to be. It doesn't make him a bad person, but it's hard to deny the fact.
I guess I don't really have a problem with the idea that people that make a lot of money are greedy if they want even more of it, but that applies to both sides - labor and management. I just don't think one side should be viewed that way and not the other. Realistically, are the teams, the owners, and the NFL as a whole less greedy? Do they deserve or need the money they make?

For that matter, do you or I? How do we place a value on what someone does for a living? I'm sure a lot or people in low paying jobs would think I don't deserve what I make, and I could certainly live on less money, but I'm still going to get whatever I can. And really, that's the idea capitalism is built on - if a person works hard and excels at something, they can make a lot of money. Of course, that applies to businesses as well. Dollars are a big driver for both sides.

Something to remember too, I think, is that skyrocketing player salaries didn't just happen by accident, nor did they happen without knowledge or active involvement from the teams. The first time a team agreed to a $25 million/year contract, they knew that would start the price moving to $30 million, and they knew the first time a team agreed to $30 million that would start things down the path toward $35 million. So the teams were very much a part of creating the environment.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Your logic is circular.
If you've been offered a contract...(has he?) that he refused ....and because of that he isn't under a contract.....then wouldn't that be a "hold out"? He's holding signing the contract. HOLD OUT.

Maybe I'm missing some specific NFL contract terminology and definitions that you are in on?