Prescott's final season ranks (various metrics)

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
You can always tell who the Dak slobberers are...

His splits are laughable. He had 14 TD passes - basically half of them - against the combined 7-25 Deadskins and Gnats alone. His QB rating going into yesterday’s exhibition tankfest was actually worse relative to league average than last year. And he did nothing at all against any defense with a pulse, especially on the road. Did I mention in that in order to squeeze out even this, it requires the highest paid offensive line, the highest paid running back and soon to be one of the highest paid receivers? What could possibly go wrong here?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree, but I differ with you in that I dont think he sucks or cant be better than he already is. We need to franchise Dak. We cant saddle our new staff with a rookie QB. Dak is at least a part of the transition. However, we shouldn't make a long term decision on QB without their evaluation and input.

And its perfectly fair to downgrade Dak's rating because of the talent around him. But by the same token you would have to bump the grade back up because of his leadership, running ability and durability.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Here's the problem with this theory--
last year Dak's backers got Linehan run out of town on a rail because "SL's archaic gameplans and outdated offense" were hampering Dak's development production

Scott Linehan basically got the axe because he wasn't able to maximize Dak's "considerable talents". Poor Scott couldn't make an read option quarterback with horrific footwork, comparably bad throwing motion, and serious accuracy/timing issues look like Tom Brady. Therefore, he was shown the door.

Linehan was what we might refer to as one of the early Dak casualties.
Dez was another. Garrett is about to be another. Although a lot of JG's was self inflicted as well.

All due respect. linehan isn’t a good OC regardless. He is a lions cast off. THE LIONS.

he is also jobless right now.

pansophy

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate we are going to sign him long term the same time we change the offense on him. I liked him and Moore together. Offense worked. Just inconsistent play across the everyone.

Section446

Reaction score
If he was asking for $25-$30 million, I'd be happy with him moving forward... At $35-$40 million a year, it's an absolute disaster.

Gameover

Reaction score

This type of cherry picking is only designed to minimize Dak Prescott

When is the last time you heard the phrase ‘sophomore sliump’? You haven’t since Dak sophomore year, because it was designed to minimize Dak as lesser than. They don’t want Dak up there. He’s not sexy enough. But he’s this close to being at the very bleepin’ top by his damn self!

Baker Mayfield? Not a peep of a sophomore slump.

In fact, some clown tweeted, prior to the season starting, that Baker and Mahomes were going to be the new Brady vs Manning. They were going to revolutionize passing offense

Speaking of Mahomes: He had a down year, just like I thought he would because he was overrated in 2018.

Phillip Rivers has been garbage vs good teams and stat padded vs bad teams for a decade. Not a peep said about it.

Dak Prescott is this close to being the best QB in the National Football Leauge. .

last year the narrative was he only had 4 or 5 three hundred career games. Well can’t go with now since he averaged three hundred plus per this season.

He can’t throw more than 23 TD in a season? Well can’t ride that horse no more.

His QBR! No can’t go there

DYAR!!! Damn he’s at the top

What’s that! His record is what vs who... we’re running with it.

As I tweeted a month or so ago: Dak Prescott is the you know who of the NFL(high office)

Last edited:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
All due respect. linehan isn’t a good OC regardless. He is a lions cast off. THE LIONS.

he is also jobless right now.

That's an opinion that we could have a good debate about, which I would welcome.

But for purposes of my post--matters not.
The guy said if we'd have had Linehan this year to run the offense, the team would ahve done better and Dak would have been in a much better position to succeed.

I was merely pointing out the fact that Linehan was trashed last year as a guy who set Dak and the offense up for failure and was let go because of it.

His presense was an excuse for Dak last year, and 12 months later him *not* being here is the reason Dak struggled?
Can't be both.....;)

PS--history suggest that Linehan might not have been a great head coach, but he was a helluva OC. Minnesota 2001 (the year before he arrived) with basically teh same roster, had the 24th ranked scoring offense. the 3 years Linehan was there, they were 8/6/6 in scoring offense. The year after he left, they went back to 19th.

His first 2 years in Detroit they went from the 27th ranked scoring offense to the 4th ranked scoring offense.

Romo had arguably his best season under Linehan in 2014 and I would say the high water mark of Dak's career in Dallas was his first year as starter under linehan in 2016.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak was actually really really good for most of the season, but let's face it. His 2019 season will and should be judged by how he played in the biggest game of the year, the division title game against the Eagles. Dak wasn't just bad, he was career bad. Replay that game and count the throws that were off target, some by a mile. I have no idea if he was injured or not but he was bad and it cost the Cowboys the game. I draw the comparison to Wentz who was throwing accurate passes to the right receivers the last month of the season. I am a Dak supporter but he needs to show up better in big important games. If that Eagles game is any indication of how Dak will play under pressure, the Cowboys have a big problem.
You actually do have an idea that he was injured because everyone has stated he was and he didn't practice normally before or after that game.
It isn't exactly some mystery.
He was bad largely because he couldn't throw the ball, lol.
That makes quarterbacking hard.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
last year Dak's backers got Linehan run out of town on a rail because "SL's archaic gameplans and outdated offense" were hampering Dak's development production

Scott Linehan basically got the axe because he wasn't able to maximize Dak's "considerable talents". Poor Scott couldn't make an read option quarterback with horrific footwork, comparably bad throwing motion, and serious accuracy/timing issues look like Tom Brady. Therefore, he was shown the door.

Dez was another. Garrett is about to be another. Although a lot of JG's was self inflicted as well.
I do think Linehan got a bit of a bad rap but NONONO you can't excuse an NFL OC for failing to have his staff or himself work on footwork and ball security with his QB.
What Kitna did was doable previously as well.
Linehan would have kept his job had he ensured it was being done.

Fans and analytic nerds are not dealing in real world results.
There is a time and place to run into 8 man boxes and not let the defense dictate your game plan.
It's perfectly OK to set up late game drives by not emptying the toolbox of your best pass plays in the 1st quarter.

This season showed Dallas was a great front runner.
They could come out and pound people OR if a team has an answer they had no adjustments and close games meant losses because if you take away what worked early than we got nada.

Kellen will be great in time but but not having SOME 4th quarter magic was on him.
I will not miss his play-calling next year if in fact he is released as expected.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I do think Linehan got a bit of a bad rap but NONONO you can't excuse an NFL OC for failing to have his staff or himself work on footwork and ball security with his QB.
What Kitna did was doable previously as well.
Linehan would have kept his job had he ensured it was being done.

I understand what you are saying and that's part of coaching but I would also submit that if you are forced to spend considerable amounts of time with a starting NFL quarterback working on footwork and ball security, then you maybe don't have quite the quarterback that you need.

For all the time Kitna put into footwork and ball security, Dak still got off the hook on a lot of easy picks this year. He still regularly throws off his back foot.
Old habits tend to die hard.....

I always got the feeling that Linehan's gameplan and schemes were the reason he was axed rather than his inability/failure to develop Dak's mechanics better.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
To me, the QB rating of 10 puts him about where he is in the league--which is still not terrible.
10th out of 32 is actually pretty good, but passer rating isn't as stable as the other metrics. Passer rating on attempts when the QB is under pressure varies wildly from year to year.

Over several years this tends to even out, but for a one-season metric, EPA, DVOA, SIS Total points, and yes, even PFF grade are more accurate measures of QB performance than traditional passer rating.

IMG_07082018_083706_0.png

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
SIS Total Points are up, and Dak ranked 4th in 2019.

Here are his ranks according to the top 5 metrics from the OP:
Total Points (SIS) 4th
DVOA (FO) -- still waiting
PFF grade 9th
EPA 7th
ANY/A 5th/6th

IheartRomo

Reaction score

Ran the same numbers for all other 2019 playoff QBs (Total season QB rating/vs playoff teams QB rating). Did not include Brees because he missed a large chunk of his teams games.

Wentz: 93.1 - 89.4
Wilson: 106.3 - 88.3
Cousins: 107.4 - 90.8
Rodgers: 95.4 - 105.2
Jimmy G: 102.0 - 108.6
Tannehill: 117.5 - 118.5
Allen: 85.3 - 72.7
Watson: 98.0 - 95.0
Brady: 88.0 - 75.3
Mahomes: 105.3 - 108.5
Lamar: 113.3 - 96.1

Dak: 99.7 - 84.7

Dak is clearly not some outlier. It is very common if not expected for QBs to post worse #s vs good teams than vs bad teams. Keep in mind this is a small sample size too with dramatic fluctuations for that reason.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score

Linehan got axed bc every game the defense knew what we were doing. Announcers would call it out, people fracking knew. He also didn't use schemes and people like he should. Kellen provided a decent offense but had serious issues with situational football which the Boys have been bad at for ages. JG has had many different players and coaches with him. He needed to go on that basis alone.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score

These “casualties” you mention don’t have jobs today. JG should be the next to fall on Wednesday.

I try not to post negative stuff but I struggle to see the point you’re trying to make here. Would the Cowboys be better off with Dez and Linehan and a different QB?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Do poorly thrown balls that a receiver just happens to get a hand on count as drops?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I’ll add. Inconsistency is an issue. It would be better if he constantly played in the 8-10 range. Unfortunately he has streaks where he is top 5 and then streaks where he is like 20th. Which leads to overall 8-10.
These charts don't include week 17, but they give some perspective on QB consistency.

EMUyl1QXsAAXSrv

EMUy9SDWsAAgPXI

EMUzMD9XsAEw91-

EMUzX4wXYAIK4CW

EMU0qE4W4AUYgjy

EMU1OlyW4AAkgwk

EMU1OlyW4AAkgwk