Prescott's final season ranks (various metrics)

BoysForLife

Reaction score
These “casualties” you mention don’t have jobs today. JG should be the next to fall on Wednesday.

I try not to post negative stuff but I struggle to see the point you’re trying to make here. Would the Cowboys be better off with Dez and Linehan and a different QB?

Today, 3 years later and with an achilles injury in his recent history, no Dez would not help this team be better this second.
I was merely making the point that Dez went from a 1300 yard a year, 14 TD machine to a "problem" who "couldn't get open" within a year of Dak becoming the starter.

Linehan's prowess as an OC was detailed in my post as well. Didn't fare so well as a head coach but he coordinated some prolific offenses and pretty much everywhere he went there was immediate improvement.

Yes, we'd be better off with a different QB. Please note--not "any" qb. But we could do a heckuva lot better than we have right now.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Do poorly thrown balls that a receiver just happens to get a hand on count as drops?
usually, not always.
but drops also come from poor timing and other things.
In other words, drops are not just drops.

The "tight window" stat has some big flaws too. A WR could be wide open early but the ball doesn't get thrown until late,so the window tightens and the YAC usually drops too.

Oh well, no stat is perfect

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Do poorly thrown balls that a receiver just happens to get a hand on count as drops?
Only if the person scoring considered it a catchable pass. The way PFF scores it, drops are just catchable balls minus completions.

Not all catchable balls are on target. I think Stats Inc uses on-target throws minus completions, which would result in lower drop numbers.

According to PFR, 499 of Dak's 581 aimed attempts were catchable (85.9%, ranked 8th) and 425 were on target (73.1%, ranked 9th). And those are very high rankings for a QB who threw it deeper than most.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I was merely making the point that Dez went from a 1300 yard a year, 14 TD machine to a "problem" who "couldn't get open" within a year of Dak becoming the starter.

The year before Dak joined the team Dez only played 9 games and had 400 yards receiving. If the issue was Prescott, Dak would have gone on to a different team and played well.

He didn't.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The year before Dak joined the team Dez only played 9 games and had 400 yards receiving. If the issue was Prescott, Dak would have gone on to a different team and played well.

He didn't.
The year he had the foot injury right? 2015?

that was a clear outlier. He was healthy in 2016 and 2017 yet still didn't produce at near the levels of 2012-2014.

Not even close.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
All due respect. linehan isn’t a good OC regardless. He is a lions cast off. THE LIONS.

he is also jobless right now.
To be fair he had some successful seasons with the Cowboys.

First and foremost Dak's rookie of the year season.

I'm not carrying a flag for Linehan but if the extremes are, The Problem on one end and Scapegoat on the other the clear eye view (cough cough) has him shaded more towards scapegoat then The problem.

The boy wonder had as bad a season as any of Linehan's in the Dak era. With as about a healthy a roster as could be hoped for.

In spite of the gaudy but empty stats.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Three big games, New Orleans, New England, and Philadelphia. What did the offense do those crucial games?

That's your answer.

New England had the top defense in the NFL and the game was played in the rain. Dak had the same stats or better than Tom Brady did that day.

New Orleans played great defense that day and he was playing through injury in Philly - who also have a good defense.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Stats are meaningless to me. I like Dak but right now we don’t have a shot at winning the SB because we are not in the playoffs. He just didn’t get it done this year when it counts. If he is here next year I hope he does better in that category.

Gameover

Reaction score
Three big games, New Orleans, New England, and Philadelphia. What did the offense do those crucial games?

That's your answer.
2009 vs GB and Minny what did the offense do? Look it up PFR

What did the 90 million dollar RB do in those games?

Kaiser

Reaction score
that was a clear outlier. He was healthy in 2016 and 2017 yet still didn't produce at near the levels of 2012-2014.

A WR whose entire game was physical played worse at age 29 than age 24?

NO. WAY.

morat1959

Reaction score
He’s a fraud! The #s don’t tell the story! You gotta know what you are looking at!

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dez went to the Pro Bowl in Dak's first year, then this happened in Dak's second year:

Prescott 2017
10+ yard targets
to Bryant 25 of 66 445 yd 6.7 ypa 3 td 1 int 70.6
to others 51 of 92 994 yd 10.8 ypa 11 td 5 int 110.2

20+ yard targets
to Bryant 4 of 19 130 yd 6.8 ypa 0 td 1 int 33.7
to others 12 of 24 404 yd 16.8 ypa 4 td 0 int 135.4

So Dez was released, and correctly so.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
A WR whose entire game was physical played worse at age 29 than age 24?

NO. WAY.

that's the commonly held belief amongst the Dak-o-phants, yes.

I don't buy it.
29 isn't ancient compared to 24. It's not like he was 36 when Dak became the starter.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Dez went to the Pro Bowl in Dak's first year, then this happened in Dak's second year:

Prescott 2017
10+ yard targets
to Bryant 25 of 66 445 yd 6.7 ypa 3 td 1 int 70.6
to others 51 of 92 994 yd 10.8 ypa 11 td 5 int 110.2

20+ yard targets
to Bryant 4 of 19 130 yd 6.8 ypa 0 td 1 int 33.7
to others 12 of 24 404 yd 16.8 ypa 4 td 0 int 135.4

So Dez was released, and correctly so.

Dez going to the Pro Bowl in 2016 was a product of the Cowboys 13-3 record.
his production went down precipitously the moment Dak became the starter.

you can argue that it was Dez losing his abilities and that's a debate we can have.
But the timing of his drop in production is not up for debate. IT's a fact of history.

I don't believe he all of a sudden couldn't play anymore. if you do, that's fine.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't buy it.

No one buys anything from people who write stuff like "Dak-o-phants".

Dez was still an All Pro, its just that no one would pay him even an average salary after he was cut in Dallas. Because every NFL Front Office are Dak-o-phants.

Genius.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dez's production went down precipitously the moment Dak became the starter.
Dez made the Pro Bowl in Dak's first year because he had one of --if not the -- best second half of a season (among WR) after returning from injury.

The next year Dez hit his expiration date.

Bryant's targets
2016 59 of 100 59% 928 yd 10 td 2 int 2 drops 114.9
2017 69 of 126 55% 838 yd 6 td 5 int 12 drops 74.8

BoysForLife

Reaction score
According to 32 NFL GMs who write checks to players, he couldn't play anymore.

Saints signed him. He'd be playing for them now if he hadn't blown out his Achilles.
But what do the Saints and their 37 wins over the past 3 years know about talent, right?