Preseason Game 1 analysis (offense)

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought it was a nice deep pass to Gallup that created pass interference. The defender doesn't have his arm held. He might catch that ball

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah, but DLaw was up for a deal. I believe the Jones making an offer at all was their nod to Zeke that "yes, we will increase your pay but we aren't setting the market. Certainly not for a guy with 2 years on his current deal" Zeke can't accept that deal now or the whole "holdout" was a failure. I don't see either side giving in until new leverage is applied. Either Zeke realizes his expenses continue even though his revenue has stopped or things go so bad on the field that the FO makes what is probably a bad deal.

It was still a negotiation with a timeline. Dallas had franchise-tagged him and could have stuck with it. In the end, when a deal needed to be struck, it was.

The Joneses have said before that they like to operate when the clock is ticking and there is urgency on both sides to get something done. There's no real urgency at this point because it doesn't matter that much if Elliott is in camp.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I thought it was a nice deep pass to Gallup that created pass interference. The defender doesn't have his arm held. He might catch that ball

It was a very good throw. The defender might have interfered no matter what just because Gallup had gained an edge on him, but there was a good possibility that it would have been a catch without the interference because of the throw by Dak.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was hard to tell who is out there. The commentators keep getting the players names wrong.

visionary

Reaction score
Based on Saturday night? No. Rush has to hit those downfield passes, especially the one to Jarwin, even though he had pressure in his face. The TD pass to Davis was essentially a throwaway because there was no separation. The one he missed to Wilson (I believe) needed to be fit in there between the corner and the safety.

I'd love to have a better backup, but I've got to pick a roster from who we've got instead of who I'd like for us to have. On Saturday, Rush was the best backup we had by far. If the front office wants to go out and get better, I'm all for it.

Point is that unfortunately this FO has consistently failed to give due attention to several key area including safety, 1T DT, back up QB and special teams

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah it was funny that on the first drive they kept saying Jackson when it was Pollard
:laugh:
I know they did it with the couple of wide receivers also. Professionals LMAO what do you expect from San Francisco

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Dallas or SF broadcast?
The San Francisco Broadcasting. On NFL channel during the game. The commentator just kept getting our players names wrong. Finally his co-worker in the boot said something to him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Point is that unfortunately this FO has consistently failed to give due attention to several key area including safety, 1T DT, back up QB and special teams

I understand, but there's not much we can do about it when we look at preseason games rather than hope reality hits them. As a fan, I can only evaluate what we have and expect our roster to come from that until a different decision is made. Right now, I expect Rush to be our No. 2 and for us not to carry a No. 3. I actually thought because of his arm strength that White would adjust to the game and step it up to be a high-quality backup. Maybe he can do that, but Saturday showed it isn't likely.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Gimme - couple questions. Why does anyone think EE is coming back before the start of the season? When Aug 6th passed, his only hope is that bad performances in real games lead Cowboys to up their offer.

How long before people realize that Ced is probably the 4th best receiver on the team? i feel like you have Cooper, Gallup, Cobb & Wilson. Tavon is your fifth at this moment & it's a bunch of kinda \ sorta's fighting for the 6th spot.

Because he has 2 years left on his deal and Dallas holds all the cards.

He's making A LOT of money right now and if he sits he'll never get that money back.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the one I had too. Apparently, it was much better than the SF broadcast team.
Did it the TV video cut out at times?

I thought I was having reception problems with DirecTV but the video they put up on NFL game pass has similar issues.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Did it the TV video cut out at times?

I thought I was having reception problems with DirecTV but the video they put up on NFL game pass has similar issues.

I didn't notice that, but I admit to not really listening very closely and having the sound turned down fairly low. When I did listen, everything seemed OK.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Because he has 2 years left on his deal and Dallas holds all the cards.

He's making A LOT of money right now and if he sits he'll never get that money back.

The one thing I don't know is how much of a factor that second part is. If he sits a couple of regular-season games, he loses those paychecks, but if it forces Dallas to cough up a deal that gives him a $20-plus million bonus and $40-plus million guaranteed, that makes those missed paychecks not all that important. He doesn't get that money back, as you said, but he won't miss it because of what he gets in return.

Now, if he does continue to sit out and Dallas plays the waiting game, eventually he'll lose enough that what he gets in return won't make up for it. He can wait until Week 10 and still accrue a season toward free agency, but then he would have to be willing to do the same thing next year to force Dallas' hand if no deal is struck (and by then there would probably be so much acrimony that neither side would want a deal).

I don't think either side wants it to reach that point, and I expect the sides to come together with urgency a couple of weeks before the season. As long as Elliott is keeping himself in shape, neither side has much to be concerned about. You'd like him to be in camp working on football things instead of just conditioning, but he wasn't going to get much work in preseason games and you don't want to really risk him to the injuries that can hit at any time until it's necessary to do that.

At this point, the Elliott holdout is the least of my concerns about that team. If we get to game week for Week 1, then I'll start being concerned.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't notice that, but I admit to not really listening very closely and having the sound turned down fairly low. When I did listen, everything seemed OK.
It was the actual video that cut out. I muted the audio most of the time.

The video on game pass cuts out on a couple of plays to the point that I can't see the complete play which is what happened on the broadcast also.

I assume they have to use the same raw camera feeds for both versions of the broadcast. Maybe there were some technical issues because of sharing the camera feeds. I know TV and radio trying to use the same announcers has proven to be too cumbersome technically in some sports that have tried it.

I would like to use the Brad Sham radio feed for audio but I don't have a setup to add the radio audio into the DVR recording. I like to pause and review plays during the game. I've been planning to rig something up to make that work but I just never get around to doing it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It was the actual video that cut out. I muted the audio most of the time.

The video on game pass cuts out on a couple of plays to the point that I can't see the complete play which is what happened on the broadcast also.

I assume they have to use the same raw camera feeds for both versions of the broadcast. Maybe there were some technical issues because of sharing the camera feeds. I know TV and radio trying to use the same announcers has proven to be too cumbersome technically in some sports that have tried it.

I would like to use the Brad Sham radio feed for audio but I don't have a setup to add the radio audio into the DVR recording. I like to pause and review plays during the game. I've been planning to rig something up to make that work but I just never get around to doing it.

I do remember the video cutting out once or twice (or not coming back from commercial). I may have missed a play, but I believe they showed a replay. It might have been more than that, but when I went back and watched the first three quarters, I didn't notice any problems then. I know White was on the field at QB for the play that I initially missed.

Sham is the best one to listen to.