Previewing Tampa Bay: Strengths, Weaknesses and How we can win

MikeB80

Reaction score
I think an interesting side not to the Tampa season is that I think Tom Brady is going to want to go into New England in week 4 undefeated. Not just because players want to win every game of course but because Tom wants to go in and show the fans there first hand that it was him not bill.

they are set up to do that. Not that Brady needs any more motivation but I do think this means something.

blueblood70

Reaction score
it will be a tough win..not sure of ours chances maybe 20% but i want to see max effort 60min game where we are competitive and show up in all facets..

even in loss i know most say no good can come from loss i say if we compete hard and have shot at the end lose late i say some good can come from it going forward..

we seemed ready for the rams last year and should have won that game, very similar so i expect a hard fought game..

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't remember how long it's been for a Dallas defense to control a game but the one that comes to mind is that victory over New Orleans a few years back with Jourdan Lewis scooping that last game saving pick on Brees.

I think that's the last game I witnessed the Cowboys play real defense.

I have not seen anything even remotely resembling that type of defensive effort since then.

It would take an even better performance than that unfortunately to win this game.

So if Quinn can get his group to play like his Hawks did against Manning in the Bowl and Zeke and the oline have a flashback to 2016 then there's a chance.

A small one, but still a chance. lol

jmo

Ok, last year's and this year's defense will have major holes.
In 2018 and 2019 our defense held the following teams to the following point totals.

Panthers 16PTS
NY 20 PTS
Seattle 24PTS
Houston 19PTS
D.C. 20 PTS
Tenn 28PTS
N.O. 13 PTS
Colts 23 PTS we had a donut
Bucs 27

NY 17 PTS
D.C.21 PTS
FINS 6 PTS
N.O.12 PTS
NE 13 PTS
Bills 26 pts
Bears 31
PHI 17PTS

Can someone ask Mr. Dak Friendly where the heck was his offense in the above winnable games?
NO MORE EXCUSES TIME TO GET THE JOB DONE MR. PRESCOTT!!!

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think an interesting side not to the Tampa season is that I think Tom Brady is going to want to go into New England in week 4 undefeated. Not just because players want to win every game of course but because Tom wants to go in and show the fans there first hand that it was him not bill.

they are set up to do that. Not that Brady needs any more motivation but I do think this means something.
I think you’re right about Brady’s mindset. And he’s never lost to the Cowboys which I’m sure he’s reminding his teammates these days.

One other thing about Brady. I do think it’s very likely that he’s going to hit a wall at some point. He seems like Superman with all he’s accomplished, and I don’t mean this as any kind of disrespect to the best who’s ever played QB. But Father Time is undefeated. Even greats like Tom Brady hit the end of the runway. He’s already showed decline with his arm strength.

And I think we’ve actually already started seeing some decline in performance. Brady was rescued by that great Tampa Bay D in the NFC championship game last year in Green Bay where he threw 3 pics that allowed GB to have a real chance to win that game. He did throw 3 TDs too, but his defense bailed him out in the end of the NFC championship game.

Bottom line- the GOAT will hit a wall at some point. Happens to all the greats. Hope it’s sooner than later.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I think you’re right about Brady’s mindset. And he’s never lost to the Cowboys which I’m sure he’s reminding his teammates these days.

One other thing about Brady. I do think it’s very likely that he’s going to hit a wall at some point. He seems like Superman with all he’s accomplished, and I don’t mean this as any kind of disrespect to the best who’s ever played QB. But Father Time is undefeated. Even greats like Tom Brady hit the end of the runway. He’s already showed decline with his arm strength.

And I think we’ve actually already started seeing some decline in performance. Brady was rescued by that great Tampa Bay D in the NFC championship game last year in Green Bay where he threw 3 pics that allowed GB to have a real chance to win that game. He did throw 3 TDs too, but his defense bailed him out in the end of the NFC championship game.

Bottom line- the GOAT will hit a wall at some point. Happens to all the greats. Hope it’s sooner than later.

yea he is pretty much a unicorn. It looked like he hit a wall in 2019. Then it looked like it for a time last year. Its really not understandable other than he has never really been hit hard because he doesn't hold the ball and will go down under pressure to not get hit...much like eli manning.

He probably will just walk away at some point.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
hard because he doesn't hold the ball and will go down under pressure to not get hit...much like eli manning.

Of all the posts on this thread this is the most important thing stated here. The hold and go down is so Tom Brady.

He won't threaten you with mad dashes all over the field while receivers get open. He will be in the pocket somewhere, but he is a master at the subtle shifts to avoid the rush.

We have to beat our man on the o-line and get hands on Brady. We have to do it in a second and a half. If he gets two to three seconds he will find his open man.

You set this up by stoning Fournette. Brady will be very happy to hand the ball off all day to Leonard to get the "W".

At this point in his career he can't win the game just throwing all day. He is not Aaron Rodgers. So stone Fournette so it becomes all about Brady.

Beat Brady, and you beat the Bucs offence.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Cowboys QB depth chart
  • Starter: Dak Prescott
  • Backups: Tony Pollard, Rico Dowdle, JaQuan Hardy, Brendon Knox
Prescott is the best thing the Cowboys have going for them these days. At least it looks like he'll be back in Week 1 after an ankle injury caused him to miss most of 2020 and a shoulder injury slowed his return to the field.

What did I miss? :laugh:
Parsons is the backup QB.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see.
Super Bowl champions.
On the road.
TB: a team with a very stable core carrying over from last year. Game 1 works in their favor because everyone's at their freshest.
DAL: a team with a lot of folks returning after missing a good part of last year, and a complete overhaul on defense. Game 1 works against us because it will take time for everything to gel.

Yeah, I don't like our chances in this particular game.

khiladi

Reaction score
9. In the SB. They scored 27 in their regular season matchup and beat the Bucs.

Different OL than in the SB, including their LT who was lost in the AFC championship game, with Mahomes running for his life. The RT was out by week 6.

ArtClink

Reaction score
This bodes well.

If they lose and score more than 9 we consider it a win. Dak will officially pass Mahomes in The Great QB Debate (having been a part of an offense that lost better). Moore will be a better offensive mind than Andy Reid.

I mean, this is a win/win.

Moore has shown me very little as Offensive coordinator other than he is loved by Jerry and thus he holds a coaching position he's not qualified for. Perhaps this year Moore will shown some play calling skills cause all we have is a 4-game winning streak against bad teams a few years ago when it looked like Moore had some promise. I just see another Jason Garrett who is allowed to learn on the job. Maybe "The Hammer" will have a breakout year as the o-coordinator.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
I don't think we're going to win. It will be a shootout, though. Defensively Brady will throw towards anyone not named Diggs. Not even so sure we can stop their average running game, but even if we do, they have a ton of weapons at WR and TE. But the Cowboys have a great offense too and we're finally healthy. It should be fun. Either way, I'll still be optimistic about this team even if we start 0-2, since they are 2 very difficult road games.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Go to sleep and have a nice dream... that's how the Cowboys win.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Moore has shown me very little as Offensive coordinator other than he is loved by Jerry and thus he holds a coaching position he's not qualified for. Perhaps this year Moore will shown some play calling skills cause all we have is a 4-game winning streak against bad teams a few years ago when it looked like Moore had some promise. I just see another Jason Garrett who is allowed to learn on the job. Maybe "The Hammer" will have a breakout year as the o-coordinator.

Do they seriously call him that? Because it's awful. I know a "Hammer." Dude can swing a hammer. Like the big sledgehammers that can injure lesser men. I bet Kellen hasn't used more than a claw hammer his whole life.

Message brought to you by working class sass.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think we're going to win. It will be a shootout, though. Defensively Brady will throw towards anyone not named Diggs. Not even so sure we can stop their average running game, but even if we do, they have a ton of weapons at WR and TE. But the Cowboys have a great offense too and we're finally healthy. It should be fun. Either way, I'll still be optimistic about this team even if we start 0-2, since they are 2 very difficult road games.
We should probably hope it’s a shootout. It’s about the only chance we have unless they turn it over a bunch of times and we don’t. Last year, in 4 of the 5 buccaneer losses, they gave up 27 or more. We have to score 27 or more to have a shot IMO. So yeah, let’s hope we at least have some offensive fireworks.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
We should probably hope it’s a shootout. It’s about the only chance we have unless they turn it over a bunch of times and we don’t. Last year, in 4 of the 5 buccaneer losses, they gave up 27 or more. We have to score 27 or more to have a shot IMO. So yeah, let’s hope we at least have some offensive fireworks.
Agreed. Their defense is erratic, they have big games like vs. Mahomes and then they have games where they give up stuff, like the GB and WAS playoff games. They aren't Seattle circa. 2012-2014. Their secondary is a bit weak. We should line up with as many wideouts as possible and air the ball out, that's what got GB going in the second half of the playoff game. Probably trying to run on them too much is the wrong decision.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You're not going to lure me into a bloody board war.
breaking-bad-walter-white.gif

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
That list forgot to add in Devin White. The Bucs arguable have the best linebackers in the league.

Their front 4 is certainly no slouch either.

We will have our hands full trying to establish the run. If were going to win, its going to be up to Dak. Sorry Zeke, your going to go hungry that week.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That list forgot to add in Devin White. The Bucs arguable have the best linebackers in the league.

Their front 4 is certainly no slouch either.

We will have our hands full trying to establish the run. If were going to win, its going to be up to Dak. Sorry Zeke, your going to go hungry that week.
The Bucs arguably have the best LBs in football. I should have included Devin White. Levonte David and Shaq Barrett are great. White still has a year or two on a his rookie deal.