Problem I have with Dak and our Offense

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Kc didn't do much to surprise anyone. What Mahomes can do is use his legs to keep plays alive that is the difference.
They catch teams off guard all the time.

Between the constant misdirections, read-option plays, and the variance in slow developing deep routes and quick hitters, teams have to guess constantly against them.

That offense would be effective with a lot of quarterbacks. Mahomes' ability just makes it pretty much perfect.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you'd take garbage time and weak schedule into account, but you wouldn't also consider things like drive success rate, dropped passes, and average starting field position. According to Football Outsiders' DVOA, Dallas ranks as the #2 offense in 2019, and Prescott is the #6 quarterback.

The other advanced metrics that account for those things I mentioned (and more) basically agree with FO. Pro Football Focus grades Dallas as the 4th-best offense. Among QB with at least 300 attempts, PFF grades Prescott as the 9th-best, and ranks him 2nd in wins above replacement QB. Sports Info Solutions doesn't rank teams, but ranks Dak as 2nd in Total Points and 8th in IQR (basically Total Points/Play).

I tend to defer to the people who watch every play of every game for every offense. There's insight to be gained from that much wider perspective.

The problem, at least to me, is that the rankings really don't take into account, strongly enough, the strength of schedule. I mean, I think that you can make a case for this. As a QB, if you are playing one of the weaker schedules in the NFL, it should not account as heavily as if you are playing one of the strongest schedules in the NFL but many times, you don't really know who is better or worse until the end of the season so I guess it might have to be an adjusted stat.

JMO

Swagger

Reaction score
The problem, at least to me, is that the rankings really don't take into account, strongly enough, the strength of schedule. I mean, I think that you can make a case for this. As a QB, if you are playing one of the weaker schedules in the NFL, it should not account as heavily as if you are playing one of the strongest schedules in the NFL but many times, you don't really know who is better or worse until the end of the season so I guess it might have to be an adjusted stat.

JMO
Fair point regardless what side of the fence people sit on.

Prescott was made to look like Dan Marino in the first three games then had several Brian Hoyer type performances against strong teams.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Between the constant misdirections, read-option plays, and the variance in slow developing deep routes and quick hitters, teams have to guess constantly against them.

That offense would be effective with a lot of quarterbacks. Mahomes' ability just makes it pretty much perfect.

If we had mohomes people would say the same about our offense being unstoppable.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I think coaching matters and I think that Andy Reid is a pretty dang good one. If you look at KC, in 2012, Romeo Crennel was the HC in KC and they went 2-14. In 2013, Reid came on board and KC went 11-5. Since 2013, KC has only failed to win 10 games or more in one season. That was in 2014, when they went 9-7. That's a pretty strong statement to me. However, Mahomes is more then just an above average QB with good feet. To me, he's a lot like Favre, in terms of his abilities. He can make plays that no other QB can make and he is a difference maker but I do agree that other QBs could win in KC. Reid is that good. Alex Smith was winning in KC before Mahomes so yeah, I agree.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fair point regardless what side of the fence people sit on.

Prescott was made to look like Dan Marino in the first three games then had several Brian Hoyer type performances against strong teams.

It's true. I mean, almost any QB would have the same type of performance curve in that situation. It might very in terms of how successful certain QBs might be against that schedule but the curve itself would be similar. The problems may people have are two, IMO.

1. Just because you look at a certain thing and evaluate it as poor or Satisfactory or Excellent, doesn't mean that those evaluations equate to what you may actually think of a given player. This associative group think is complete unreliable. You evaluate on given variables. Objectivity is a necessity. You don't let personal feelings come into play.

2. The discussion on money is different then the discussion on performance. One may or may not lead to the other eventually but, the actual discussion is different. Things like Cap considerations etc. drive money discussions. Player performance evaluations are based on play on the field and things pertaining to Football off the field. Two very different things but they get blurred all too often on this board IMO.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I told you already they have 2 and 3xthe amount of wins as Dak in that timeframe but if you insist on looking bad:

Goff
4-9

Wentz
7-6

Not Rams 4-9, Eagles 7-6?

I guarantee if you put Garrett on the sideline of either of those teams, and replace their defense with ours, those records would be worse.

SackMaster

Reaction score
From his time in GB their playcalling was just as predictable as ours the difference for their offense was Rodgers being able to ad lib and make things happen when they play broke down.
Yet MM was able to get to an NFCC game before Aaron became the starter in GB.

Not saying he was perfect, but he showed far more creativity on a VERY limited "budget" under Ted Thompson. Even without Rodgers, at least he was able to win some games going 5-8 without Aaron starting, unlike Garrett who was 2-14 over his HC career with any QBs not named Romo or Dak.

Our new DC doesn't have a big track record of stringing together great defenses, sure he gets lucky 1 out of 3-4 years but overall his defenses aren't top 10 either.
Not exactly inspiring, but if we don't play the same coverage on 90% of the plays, I think we just may improve. Especially in the Turnover department, which Nolan has a pretty good history at.

Most team just are not the patriots, Most can not change their core game by game, play by play like they do. The ravens looked unstoppable untill they get stopped. even when the rams went to the SB and they were called un predictable they still only ran a handful of plays the majority of the time.
The Patriots are definitely the most drastic at making those kinds of changes, but they are closer to the norm than the Cowboys were standing on the opposite side of the spectrum.

But only time will tell. If you dislike MM, Nolan or Dak, then it will probably be a long year for you.

In any case, I will hope that the Cowboys are successful because unlike some here, I am fully aware that if I was an "expert" I would not be discussing these things on a forum and be one of the true experts making hundreds-of-thousands, to millions of dollars doing it professionally.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If we had mohomes people would say the same about our offense being unstoppable.

I don't agree with this. Mahomes is in the perfect situation with Reid. Making an assumption here that you are talking about Mahomes in a Garrett Offense, as we don't even know, haven't even seen what our Offense under McCarthy will look like. If you are indeed talking about McCarthy, my apologies but again, I don't know how we could make such a determination until we know what our Offense will be and how our personnel match up. Under a Garrett Offense, he would be much more limited because a Garrett Offense would not take as much advantage of his mobility, IMO, which is a huge part of his game. Heck, we really didn't do that with Dak as much as we could have so I do believe that it would be a factor.

That's just my opinion thou.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Not with Garrett calling plays and without all that speed and Kelce. Mahommes is the best QB in the league, but let's not pretend he doesn't have superior weapons, scheme, and coaching to the Boys.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not with Garrett calling plays and without all that speed and Kelce. Mahommes is the best QB in the league, but let's not pretend he doesn't have superior weapons, scheme, and coaching to the Boys.

yes in garretts scheme. We had plenty of speed. Scheme wasn't an issue. We had receivers open, thats all a scheme can do but your QB has to hit them and the WR has to catch it.

dallasdave

Reaction score
MEANWHILE....
3mny87.jpg

Brax

Reaction score
Of course you dont care. You are a pathetic Dak-homer.

Cowboys against top 10 scoring defenses w/ Amari:
0-7

You hate to see it.
Willie , you can't win with these folks, now they have pre and post Cooper, and the those L's they were the rest of the team not on old 9 point Dak. The sad part is Jerry will end up signing Mr "stats" to a $$$$ deal and the next 5 years will be more of the same mediocrity, with the same idiots making excuse after excuse for Daks shortcomings. If Zeke goes down the Cowboys can pretty much kiss the season good bye because Dak can't shoulder the team as has been proved since 2016 he needs top players at all every position just to be average, take away 1 or 2 and we all know the excuses just flow for Daks ineptitude, it's really pathetic. Have a great off season can't wait till the draft to see what the next bone head move Jerry will make, it gets harder and harder to be a fan of Jerry's damaged team.

817Gill

Reaction score
This Dak can’t win against good teams thing was literally manufactured this year lol. Never mentioned once in previous seasons. It’s the new “he can’t throw for 300” and “he can’t throw deep”

Smh can’t wait for next year

InTheZone

Reaction score
I went and took a quick gander at Dak’s performances since his 2nd season.

In the last 50 games (including playoffs), the Cowboys have won 2 games against teams that finished top 10 in scoring on defense. 2!

One of those games was against Philly in Week 17 in 2017. The 6-0 game against their third string
HOLY ****