Problem w/Zeke’s Contract

superonyx

Reaction score
Why would you expect this type of attitude towards Martin? I mean, the majority of his issues are injury related. It's not because he was paid a large amount of money and then didn't produce. It's more along the lines of producing a a very high level but being limited because of injury. Now, perhaps it will become a problem at some point but I think the situations are different. JMO.
Well Zeke is producing and he is getting crapped on for being a RB. So it seems better to crap on someone not producing than someone who is.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well Zeke is producing and he is getting crapped on for being a RB. So it seems better to crap on someone not producing than someone who is.

I don't understand what this has to do with anything? We are not winning so what does it matter if anybody is producing?

For the record, nobody ever questioned his production, so far as I know. To this day, I don't really believe that this is in question. With regards to being "crapped on", I don't see it. He's getting paid, he's gotten what he wanted. I don't see how he is getting the short end of the stick here, at all.

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't understand what this has to do with anything? We are not winning so what does it matter if anybody is producing?

For the record, nobody ever questioned his production, so far as I know. To this day, I don't really believe that this is in question. With regards to being "crapped on", I don't see it. He's getting paid, he's gotten what he wanted. I don't see how he is getting the short end of the stick here, at all.
Of course you do. Why are we even talking about Zeke? Why are their so many post and threads where "fans" are taking shots at Zeke for his salary?

We are not winning so suddenly it doesnt matter if anyone is producing? Really? For someone with 50k post I would imagine you would have read enough threads to know we are all diagnosing the reasons we are not winning......what did you think we are doing here?

Your statements are coming off as a little weird or disconnected from reality.

I'm assuming you ran out of points and are now kind of floating around somewhere aimlessly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Of course you do. Why are we even talking about Zeke? Why are their so many post and threads where "fans" are taking shots at Zeke for his salary?

We are not winning so suddenly it doesnt matter if anyone is producing? Really? For someone with 50k post I would imagine you would have read enough threads to know we are all diagnosing the reasons we are not winning......what did you think we are doing here?

Your statements are coming off as a little weird or disconnected from reality.

I'm assuming you ran out of points and are now kind of floating around somewhere aimlessly.

Well, I think I said that. No, if the team is not winning, what does any of the rest matter? Seriously, it doesn't take 50K posts or 100K or even 9K to figure that out. That's as simple and as basic as it gets. But if you don't agree, well, that's up to you.

Bottom line, I don't care how many yards anybody runs for, anybody throws for, how many sacks anybody rings up if all we are doing is losing. I honestly don't think the majority of the fan base does either. This is about the team, not about a player. If you think that's weird, that's fine by me. I don't believe most fans would disagree with my position but whatever. I don't care who agrees or disagrees. If we are not winning, then it doesn't matter.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Shocking tidbit I heard on The Break last week....Zeke only has three runs of 30+ yards in his career.
Zeke is a very good RB just not special. Hes not a home run hitter and not exceptional in the passing game.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who is arguing that a TB has a bigger impact than a QB or Coach? That is something no one has said.
The RB who is "overpaid" by your definition is a 6.5M cap hit and an average contract of only $12.75M. This isnt QB pay. Heck the bears backup Chase Daniels is making more than Zeke this year.

Now you are backing down and trying to create the argument into something it never was. Any player who has the amount of carries or touches in a game is proportionately worth the contract he signed.
You have presented no compelling argument disproving it.
In fact after this back and forth it has become more clear then ever that you are just fighting to prove to yourself that you were right years ago.

Overpaid relative to the rest of the league and teams who have great running games without having to spend $13MM on a TB to get it.

Again, comparing what Zeke makes relative to other positions is a bizarre argument that you keep making. What Elliott makes relative to a DE or QB is a meaningless comparison.

superonyx

Reaction score
Overpaid relative to the rest of the league and teams who have great running games without having to spend $13MM on a TB to get it.

Again, comparing what Zeke makes relative to other positions is a bizarre argument that you keep making. What Elliott makes relative to a DE or QB is a meaningless comparison.
Its not at all bizarre. Its just uncomfortable for people that don't like where this takes the conversation.
I don't subscribe to the idea that we are overpaying our RB just because another team with a less talented RB group are paying their backs less.
There isnt a rule book on how we have to allocate the salaries on our team. If the team has committed to be a run first team then allocating more resources to the running game I don't see the problem at all.
There are very few positions on the field where we can't point to a player who is playing well and isnt making huge money. Just as we choose to go light on DT's, heavy on OL, light on TE's.... Its a philosophy.
Regardless of your personal feelings if Zeke hit the open market he would have teams lined up to pay him $12M.

Sydla

Reaction score
Its not at all bizarre. Its just uncomfortable for people that don't like where this takes the conversation.
I don't subscribe to the idea that we are overpaying our RB just because another team with a less talented RB group are paying their backs less.
There isnt a rule book on how we have to allocate the salaries on our team. If the team has committed to be a run first team then allocating more resources to the running game I don't see the problem at all.
There are very few positions on the field where we can't point to a player who is playing well and isnt making huge money. Just as we choose to go light on DT's, heavy on OL, light on TE's.... Its a philosophy.
Regardless of your personal feelings if Zeke hit the open market he would have teams lined up to pay him $12M.

It's bizarre because there is an informal pay structure in the NFL. There just is. QBs get paid more than anyone. DEs get paid more than TEs. WRs get paid more than WRs. OTs get paid more than Ss.

So arguing that Zeke isn't overpaid at $13MM because another QB is making $28MM is simply not understanding the pay structure of the NFL. The only fair salary comparison is to look across a position and compare pay and results. Anything else is just illogical.

And sure there is no rule on how you should use cap space, but it's clear some manage their caps and WIN more than others. Because cap space is limited and teams build philosophies with that in mind. And in today's NFL, most teams simply do not put a ton of money into a TB. And the results are bearing this out as more and more teams are winning without "elite" or highly paid TBs. Teams have recognized that in a capped league, a position you can probably "cheap" a bit is TB. Like we've seemingly decided DT is a position we can "cheap" out on.

If Zeke hit the open market, based on the market for Bell, you clearly overestimate the number of teams lining up to pay him. You can argue Bell isn't as good as Zeke but he still is a very good back and few teams were willing to pay him a large contract because a large number of NFL teams buy the philosophy that spending a crap ton of money on a TB isn't wise. So it's probably a real stretch to think that if Zeke were a FA, there would be a large number of teams willing to basically throw aside their organizational philosophies and just throw a ton of money at Zeke.

superonyx

Reaction score
It's bizarre because there is an informal pay structure in the NFL. There just is. QBs get paid more than anyone. DEs get paid more than TEs. WRs get paid more than WRs. OTs get paid more than Ss.

So arguing that Zeke isn't overpaid at $13MM because another QB is making $28MM is simply not understanding the pay structure of the NFL. The only fair salary comparison is to look across a position and compare pay and results. Anything else is just illogical.

And sure there is no rule on how you should use cap space, but it's clear some manage their caps and WIN more than others. Because cap space is limited and teams build philosophies with that in mind. And in today's NFL, most teams simply do not put a ton of money into a TB. And the results are bearing this out as more and more teams are winning without "elite" or highly paid TBs. Teams have recognized that in a capped league, a position you can probably "cheap" a bit is TB. Like we've seemingly decided DT is a position we can "cheap" out on.

If Zeke hit the open market, based on the market for Bell, you clearly overestimate the number of teams lining up to pay him. You can argue Bell isn't as good as Zeke but he still is a very good back and few teams were willing to pay him a large contract because a large number of NFL teams buy the philosophy that spending a crap ton of money on a TB isn't wise. So it's probably a real stretch to think that if Zeke were a FA, there would be a large number of teams willing to basically throw aside their organizational philosophies and just throw a ton of money at Zeke.
Show me where I said or compared Zeke to a QB making $28M. This is where you need to reach to try to make a point because what you actually have from what I have said isnt as easy to debate.

You are clearly upset that your favorite team doesnt agree with your philosophy on RB value. Unlike you, if i have to choose to pay Zeke or pay Tyron Crawford I am paying Zeke. I don't care if Crawford plays a position that commends more money.