ProFootballTalk.com expects the Jets to cut Chad Pennington

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
ProFootballTalk.com expects the Jets to cut Chad Pennington.

The Pennington camp has denied the cap-strapped Jets' bid to reduce the injured QB's 2006 salary from $9 million to $1 million. As a result, the Jets have two options: keep the quarterback and pay him a $3 million bonus on March 3, or cut him and take a cap charge of $12 million, which will result in zero extra room.

Feb. 17 - 5:44 pm et
Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
ProFootballTalk.com expects the Jets to cut Chad Pennington.

The Pennington camp has denied the cap-strapped Jets' bid to reduce the injured QB's 2006 salary from $9 million to $1 million. As a result, the Jets have two options: keep the quarterback and pay him a $3 million bonus on March 3, or cut him and take a cap charge of $12 million, which will result in zero extra room.

Feb. 17 - 5:44 pm et
Source: ProFootballTalk.com
I never liked him. No zip on his passes. Everything is a lollipop. He's got some accuracy, but not much else. Now with the injury concerns he is a liability IMO. It wouldn't shock me to see Randy Moss lobby Al Davis to acquire him though.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
It wouldn't shock me to see Randy Moss lobby Al Davis to acquire him though.

Why?

If he throws "lollipops" and has a weak arm, Al Davis would probably want nothing to do with him.

Sure there might be some affinity because they both went to Marshall, but I don't think Moss carries all that much weight with Davis.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Why?

If he throws "lollipops" and has a weak arm, Al Davis would probably want nothing to do with him.

Sure there might be some affinity because they both went to Marshall, but I don't think Moss carries all that much weight with Davis.
I said it because of Marshall. No other reason. With Oakland looking to 86 Collins I think they could be looking at a number of options including Patrick Ramsey, Aaron Brooks and even Culpepper. If I were in Als' shoes I know who I'd want, but I don't wear his Elvis jumpsuits.

ghst187

Reaction score
Cap-wise I'm still not sure why the Jets would cut him unless they are willing to call this coming season a wash, which could very well end up being the case and perhaps something Herm saw and so he left....
Sounds like the Jets are in worse shape than Wash. They can't afford to keep any of their good players, who was asleep at the wheel there managing their cap the past few seasons.
And if the Jets are so strapped, why would you franchise Abraham yet again? Abraham is not so overwhelming that he can't be replaced if he's got a bloated salary and you can't pay him. Doesn't make sense. When the team needed him the most, in a PLAYOFF game, the guy refuses to play. I'm not sure why the organization refuses to cut ties with him despite what he's costing the team.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I said it because of Marshall. No other reason. With Oakland looking to 86 Collins I think they could be looking at a number of options including Patrick Ramsey, Aaron Brooks and even Culpepper. If I were in Als' shoes I know who I'd want, but I don't wear his Elvis jumpsuits.

Actually, recent news from Oakland has them keeping Collins.

Every outlet said that Shell's first order of business would be to dump him, but this article says otherwise:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/carlsteward/ci_3514884

sago1

Reaction score
It takes greater minds that mine to figure out what the Jets are doing re Abraham. Same goes for Pennington; no way Jets can cut him & take $12M cap hit & trading him accomplishes same thing. There has also been other postings stating that Jets will also be cutting Law, Fabini, etc., and since their OC Mawae refused take salary cut, presume they have to cut him. It's clear the Jet players know the score & can't wait to get out of town.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Pennington is done so the Jets might as well take their punishment now instead of sinking even more money into him.

I think it is time to tear the whole thing down and rebuild - somewhat reminiscent of like the 2000 Cowboys. Only thing is they still got their first rounder so rebuilding should be quicker.