Proper GM negotiation tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
If I were JJ
"Dak thank you for what have done for this team.
Your brand and respect is at an all time high around the league right now.You were nearly the MVP. Stats are really good.
We are planning on giving Trey and Coop some chances this season which means you may not start or play the entire game as the QB of the DC. (Could be preseason, in season, or mop duty....but not a lie and not mentioned)
Your value ceiling may be hurt by this decision to see what Trey, Coop or a draftee has. We can work together and try to find an amicable landing spot if this news is unacceptable to you. Prior to you playing QB2 at some point, you can waive your NTC and we can see what happens in the near future, or you can tudor Trey and be a good teammate when you are not playing.
We can then decide on your future after the season has concluded and see what the valuation shows us. Or seek a remedy via trade soon if this news is unsettling for you. "

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
I think this is the perfect way to go about it. Tell Dak it’s an open competition at TC and during the year we will give Trey or drafted QB reps in games. And we’re not going to make you the highest paid player in NFL history.

If you have a QB that can’t win in the playoffs then you don’t really have a QB. All these talking heads discuss what life will be like without Dak. Well life with Dak, Romo, Bledsoe, Carter, Wright, Hutchison, Stoerner, Banks has all been the same outcome: wildcard win at best.

We haven’t had a QB since Aikman. All the others have been failed experiments.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is the perfect way to go about it. Tell Dak it’s an open competition at TC and during the year we will give Trey or drafted QB reps in games. And we’re not going to make you the highest paid player in NFL history.

If you have a QB that can’t win in the playoffs then you don’t really have a QB. All these talking heads discuss what life will be like without Dak. Well life with Dak, Romo, Bledsoe, Carter, Wright, Hutchison, Stoerner, Banks has all been the same outcome: wildcard win at best.

The other problem being, other teams watch tape.

If Jerry finally figured this out, I promise you so has every other NFL professional.
You see ANYBODY who watches all 22s sees the warts PRESENT EVEN AGAINST HORRIBLE DEFENSES.
The holding of the ball when a receiver has a step, because it's needs to be a tight, accurate throw.
But because there's no pressure he can wait till somebody's wide open and lob the ball to them, it makes great highlights.

However, put pressure and coverage together? You get holding the ball, throwing the 2yd pass on 3rd and 8, sailing balls over sidelines, ultimately forcing himself to attempt a difficult throw and there's the pick.

That what other DCs see.
So who makes that trade?

plymkr

Reaction score
The other problem being, other teams watch tape.

If Jerry finally figured this out, I promise you so has every other NFL professional.
You see ANYBODY who watches all 22s sees the warts PRESENT EVEN AGAINST HORRIBLE DEFENSES.
The holding of the ball when a receiver has a step, because it's needs to be a tight, accurate throw.
But because there's no pressure he can wait till somebody's wide open and lob the ball to them, it makes great highlights.

However, put pressure and coverage together? You get holding the ball, throwing the 2yd pass on 3rd and 8, sailing balls over sidelines, ultimately forcing himself to attempt a difficult throw and there's the pick.

That what other DCs see.
So who makes that trade?
I think the Raiders, Saints, Minnesota would be trade partners. Especially Minnesota. Dak is Cousins 2.0 and they just lost Cousins.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference between Dak and Cousins? Cousins is inconsistent like Dak, however Cousins has had some success against difficult defenses, Dak is incapable.
For the record, I'll pass on both :laugh:

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
And hence the problem since that was the last time(1989) Dallas actually used a first round pick on a quarterback......Gee I wonder why Dallas hasn't had a franchise Quarterback as good as Aikman since....

Jarntt

Reaction score
If I were JJ
"Dak thank you for what have done for this team.
Your brand and respect is at an all time high around the league right now.You were nearly the MVP. Stats are really good.
We are planning on giving Trey and Coop some chances this season which means you may not start or play the entire game as the QB of the DC. (Could be preseason, in season, or mop duty....but not a lie and not mentioned)
Your value ceiling may be hurt by this decision to see what Trey, Coop or a draftee has. We can work together and try to find an amicable landing spot if this news is unacceptable to you. Prior to you playing QB2 at some point, you can waive your NTC and we can see what happens in the near future, or you can tudor Trey and be a good teammate when you are not playing.
We can then decide on your future after the season has concluded and see what the valuation shows us. Or seek a remedy via trade soon if this news is unsettling for you. "
The biggest problem with your scenario is the assumption of Rush or Lance playing well enough to be the player(s) that make us comfortable moving on from Dak. Neither is any good. Now if we moved up and drafted a QB early in round 1 or lucked out with a good prospect later on in the draft, I guess that could be a possible scenario.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm a huge Aikman fan. But we can't compare the talent on that team with what Romo and Dak had and has. If Stafford can win a SB, so could Romo, as I think he was better than Stafford by a little bit. Worse QBs have been to super bowls. The main problem we have is our front office doesn't recognize what our current QB needs in support. They solely build through the draft, and unless we can find a Patrick Mahomes/Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees types, we're not winning anything. Their standard operating procedure doesn't allow for it.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
If the plan is to trade Dak (which I doubt) explain to him and his agent that he will not be resigned with his contract demands. It would be best to look for a trading partner who will meet those demands and not risk injury. Can’t play games with a player that just finished 2nd in the mvp race. Players and agents would avoid Dallas if a situation like this played out. No matter how the zone feels about Prescott, he is well liked throughout the league and if you mess with a mans livelihood there will be consequences.

foofighters

Reaction score
What an ignorant idea. Jerry would lose a majority of the paying fanbase, plus the players. For what? Just to please a minority of haters?

It's not happening.
In all honesty, I've seen Jerry take more heat about Dak this year. Seriously, though, do you want Dak playing on this team as it is right now? Jerry strategy looks like what the owner was trying to do in the movie, "Major League." If I am Dak, do I want to play on this current team?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In all honesty, I've seen Jerry take more heat about Dak this year. Seriously, though, do you want Dak playing on this team as it is right now? Jerry strategy looks like what the owner was trying to do in the movie, "Major League." If I am Dak, do I want to play on this current team?
Dak wants to be a Dallas Cowboy for life. His teammates want him here.

Do you want Dak on this team?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm a huge Aikman fan. But we can't compare the talent on that team with what Romo and Dak had and has. If Stafford can win a SB, so could Romo, as I think he was better than Stafford by a little bit. Worse QBs have been to super bowls. The main problem we have is our front office doesn't recognize what our current QB needs in support. They solely build through the draft, and unless we can find a Patrick Mahomes/Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees types, we're not winning anything. Their standard operating procedure doesn't allow for it.
Yup, it’s not actually possible for their plan to work. No team drafts well enough or consistently enough to pull it off.

It also shouldn’t be counted on to fill a position where immediate help is needed.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
If the plan is to trade Dak (which I doubt) explain to him and his agent that he will not be resigned with his contract demands. It would be best to look for a trading partner who will meet those demands and not risk injury. Can’t play games with a player that just finished 2nd in the mvp race. Players and agents would avoid Dallas if a situation like this played out. No matter how the zone feels about Prescott, he is well liked throughout the league and if you mess with a mans livelihood there will be consequences.
You are correct. 49ers Packers Eagles and Rams....not only do they like him, they hope he stays the qb in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.