Proper GM negotiation tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What an ignorant idea. Jerry would lose a majority of the paying fanbase, plus the players. For what? Just to please a minority of haters?

It's not happening.
I said it in another thread but I will say it again. What top 10 quarterback, 2nd team All-Pro quarterback,and MVP runner up would have to compete for their starting job. :huh: :facepalm: The Cowboys may not resign Dak after this season but this will be his team for better or worse in 2024.

foofighters

Reaction score
Dak wants to be a Dallas Cowboy for life. His teammates want him here.

Do you want Dak on this team?
I stopped having player loyalty a while ago. I want the best person available playing. We don't have anyone on the rooster better than Dak. I don't know if anyone we draft this year will be better at season 2. Far worse QB's have had better success in the playoffs than Dak. You know how I feel about this team. It was never Romo, Dak, JG, MM or Wade's fault. It's been Jerry's fault. Always Jerry.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yup, it’s not actually possible for their plan to work. No team drafts well enough or consistently enough to pull it off.

It also shouldn’t be counted on to fill a position where immediate help is needed.
I can understand if a team doesn't want to spend a ton in FA. But you don't have to spend a lot to make an impact. You don't have to splurge. But at the same time, totally ignoring FA in the first few days just puts you at a disadvantage. It would be like if I was playing against a computer sim AI that was weak. I would make that house rule so the game stayed competitive. But they act as if it's smart.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If I were JJ
"Dak thank you for what have done for this team.
Your brand and respect is at an all time high around the league right now.You were nearly the MVP. Stats are really good.
We are planning on giving Trey and Coop some chances this season which means you may not start or play the entire game as the QB of the DC. (Could be preseason, in season, or mop duty....but not a lie and not mentioned)
Your value ceiling may be hurt by this decision to see what Trey, Coop or a draftee has. We can work together and try to find an amicable landing spot if this news is unacceptable to you. Prior to you playing QB2 at some point, you can waive your NTC and we can see what happens in the near future, or you can tudor Trey and be a good teammate when you are not playing.
We can then decide on your future after the season has concluded and see what the valuation shows us. Or seek a remedy via trade soon if this news is unsettling for you. "
that's back ally negotiation tactics by fans on this board who play Madden football and talk to themselves while doing it.
. and if I am Dak and you tell me you are going to give trey and coop some snaps. I will be laughing on the floor and will say. OK, then good luck to you. will be seeing ya

Bagman

Reaction score
What an ignorant idea. Jerry would lose a majority of the paying fanbase, plus the players. For what? Just to please a minority of haters?

It's not happening.
The only thing that the "haters" hate is NEVER truly competing for the Super Bowl. It's great to have a visible and viable team. But as currently constructed, this Dallas team won't ever win a Super Bowl. The Oline is poor. The Dline is poor. There's no RB. No depth at WR. Zero LBs. You can only get those players, or at least TRY to get those players by having extra draft picks and loads of cap space. Dallas has neither. Maybe dealing Dak allows the team to restock the roster. You can't complain if that's the FO plan.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I said it in another thread but I will say it again. What top 10 quarterback, 2nd team All-Pro quarterback,and MVP runner up would have to compete for their starting job. :huh: :facepalm: The Cowboys may not resign Dak after this season but this will be his team for better or worse in 2024.
Jared Goff said Hello.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I were JJ
Your brand and respect is at an all time high around the league right now.You were nearly the MVP. Stats are really good.
We are planning on giving Trey and Coop some chances this season which means you may not start or play the entire game as the QB of the DC. (Could be preseason, in season, or mop duty....but not a lie and not mentioned)
Your value ceiling may be hurt by this decision to see what Trey, Coop or a draftee has. We can work together and try to find an amicable landing spot if this news is unacceptable to you. Prior to you playing QB2 at some point, you can waive your NTC and we can see what happens in the near future, or you can tudor Trey and be a good teammate when you are not playing.
We can then decide on your future after the season has concluded and see what the valuation shows us. Or seek a remedy via trade soon if this news is unsettling for you. "
You're not JJ....you have blinders on, so your opinion doesn't matter. If you were neutral, it would...

jujoboys

Reaction score
lol. First of all this is exactly what is wrong with the organization. Our owner is too involved in the process. The HC should be deciding who plays and doesn’t play and ithere is no way McCarthy is going to start Lance or Rush over Dak when his job is on the line. If Jerry, the GM, doesn’t want to pay Dak market value then he needs to give Dak and his agent permission to seek a trade. Dak has no incentive to give Jerry the control over who he is traded to. Dak can wait this thing out for a year, give Jerry the middle finger, and then go to the highest bidder.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The only thing that the "haters" hate is NEVER truly competing for the Super Bowl. It's great to have a visible and viable team. But as currently constructed, this Dallas team won't ever win a Super Bowl. The Oline is poor. The Dline is poor. There's no RB. No depth at WR. Zero LBs. You can only get those players, or at least TRY to get those players by having extra draft picks and loads of cap space. Dallas has neither. Maybe dealing Dak allows the team to restock the roster. You can't complain if that's the FO plan.
Understood, but if you do all that, you'll still be out of a proven QB.

Kwyn

Reaction score
If I were JJ
This is some message board fever dream.

It reads like a company policy warning to an entry level employee. A discussion like this wouldn’t even be had with a member of management, let alone someone like an NFL quarterback.

I know it feels good for fans to imagine how the team could put Dak in his place but if this were to actually happen it would make the team look more amateurish than they already do.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I were JJ
I am doubtful Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are strong enough negotiating variables in that scenario within a Jerry Jones world. One is a San Francisco castoff, whom the GM mastermind hopes will be a factor in the post-Dak Prescott era. The other has a solid backup quarterback ceiling only. I can foresee Prescott rolling the dice and anticipate Jones not pulling that particular trigger.

Drafting a high round (preferably first round) quarterback next month would introduce a superior negotiable variable in that same scenario. Such picks are targeted to start and would start in the very near future inside Jones' head after making an atypical draft investment. Prescott would consider it as an imminent threat to his position as starter, which Lance and Rush are not.

kskboys

Reaction score
The biggest problem with your scenario is the assumption of Rush or Lance playing well enough to be the player(s) that make us comfortable moving on from Dak. Neither is any good. Now if we moved up and drafted a QB early in round 1 or lucked out with a good prospect later on in the draft, I guess that could be a possible scenario.
Only way to do that is to trade Dak and get the resources to do so. Might be able to fix this w/ just one year of suckage, but that takes a smart GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.