Proper GM negotiation tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboys4lifeGR

Reaction score
If I were JJ
"Dak thank you for what have done for this team.
Your brand and respect is at an all time high around the league right now.You were nearly the MVP. Stats are really good.
We are planning on giving Trey and Coop some chances this season which means you may not start or play the entire game as the QB of the DC. (Could be preseason, in season, or mop duty....but not a lie and not mentioned)
Your value ceiling may be hurt by this decision to see what Trey, Coop or a draftee has. We can work together and try to find an amicable landing spot if this news is unacceptable to you. Prior to you playing QB2 at some point, you can waive your NTC and we can see what happens in the near future, or you can tudor Trey and be a good teammate when you are not playing.
We can then decide on your future after the season has concluded and see what the valuation shows us. Or seek a remedy via trade soon if this news is unsettling for you. "
1000%.... Please fwd this to JJ & SJ.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fully believe Dak is too sensitive, insecure, and unconfident to ever compete for his job.

I think he’d sit out instead of compete.
He's a panzy just remember PANAMA and how Mr.Diggs treated him in practice.
Most Pampered QB ever to wear the Cowboy helmet.
He should get another Tattoo with a Deer overlooking the Panama Canal......

Bagman

Reaction score
Understood, but if you do all that, you'll still be out of a proven QB.
And what happens when you are out of a proven QB ? You don't win anything, right ? Kinda like now.
A great majority of Cowboys fans want more success than Wild Card week.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Dak or no Dak won't matter. They aren't trying to build a SB team anyway.
Exactly/ We'll be downing the next QB soon enough. It's the organization that's the real problem. Some don't want to admit it because it's the one thing we can't change.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
If I were JJ
Your brand and respect is at an all time high around the league right now.You were nearly the MVP. Stats are really good.
We are planning on giving Trey and Coop some chances this season which means you may not start or play the entire game as the QB of the DC. (Could be preseason, in season, or mop duty....but not a lie and not mentioned)
Your value ceiling may be hurt by this decision to see what Trey, Coop or a draftee has. We can work together and try to find an amicable landing spot if this news is unacceptable to you. Prior to you playing QB2 at some point, you can waive your NTC and we can see what happens in the near future, or you can tudor Trey and be a good teammate when you are not playing.
We can then decide on your future after the season has concluded and see what the valuation shows us. Or seek a remedy via trade soon if this news is unsettling for you. "
I would add 1 more note, we will be drafting a QB (Michael Penix) in this years draft to ensure full competition at QB is realized

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And what happens when you are out of a proven QB ? You don't win anything, right ? Kinda like now.
A great majority of Cowboys fans want more success than Wild Card week.
Dak carried the team all of last year when he had a no good Oline, no running help and only 1 legit WR. You disgruntled fans clearly didn't notice that.

mcmvp

Reaction score
What an ignorant idea. Jerry would lose a majority of the paying fanbase, plus the players. For what? Just to please a minority of haters?

It's not happening.
lol…like hell he would. I’m fairly certain the Cowboys brand far outweighs the power of Dak fans. Hell…there would probably even be higher ratings.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
lol…like hell he would. I’m fairly certain the Cowboys brand far outweighs the power of Dak fans. Hell…there would probably even be higher ratings.
Dak is a way better QB than your Jalen Hurts. Stick to your own team.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Dak would say sure, you pay me $29 million in actual salary this season and count $55 million against the cap this year and since I am "QB2" I won't risk injury and will hit the open market.

For their trouble, Dallas gets a $40M cap hit of dead money in 2025 and a late 3rd round compensatory pick in 2026.

In 2024, the Cowboys are a sub-500 team with the 2023 MVP runner-up sitting on the sideline just collecting a check.

The media and the fan base will be killing this team all year long. The "anti-Dak" squad will be happy at first but will eventually turn when they see just how bad Cooper Rush and Trey Lance are.

Micah and CeeDee (and their agents), as well as all future players, see this and think to themselves "I definitely want to tie myself to an organization with no real plan or desire to win".

mcmvp

Reaction score
Dak is a way better QB than your Jalen Hurts. Stick to your own team.
lol…typical response from a poster that doesn’t want to address the point. Sorry, but I’m a team fan…not an individual player fan like you. I don’t care about silly QB debates.

The fact remains Jerry could easily move on from Dak and it wouldn’t damage his team’s image at all. The locker room would get over it (hell, some would probably welcome it). It’s only individual player fans that would be hurt by it

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
lol…typical response from a poster that doesn’t want to address the point. Sorry, but I’m a team fan…not an individual player fan like you. I don’t care about silly QB debates.

The fact remains Jerry could easily move on from Dak and it wouldn’t damage his team’s image at all. The locker room would get over it (hell, some would probably welcome it). It’s only individual player fans that would be hurt by it
You can come up with whatever story you like, I guarantee the opposite would happen.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If I were JJ
Dak. "No Thank You."

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm a huge Aikman fan. But we can't compare the talent on that team with what Romo and Dak had and has. If Stafford can win a SB, so could Romo, as I think he was better than Stafford by a little bit. Worse QBs have been to super bowls. The main problem we have is our front office doesn't recognize what our current QB needs in support. They solely build through the draft, and unless we can find a Patrick Mahomes/Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees types, we're not winning anything. Their standard operating procedure doesn't allow for it.
I agree, I guess my main point is Aikman elevated his game in the playoffs. We haven’t had a QB improve their play in the playoffs for a long time.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree, I guess my main point is Aikman elevated his game in the playoffs. We haven’t had a QB improve their play in the playoffs for a long time.
He did. He was clutch in that 4 year span. He outplayed Steve Young. Had it not been for that freakish 0-21 start Dallas probably wins 3 in a row.

plymkr

Reaction score
He did. He was clutch in that 4 year span. He outplayed Steve Young. Had it not been for that freakish 0-21 start Dallas probably wins 3 in a row.
I still have PTSD from that 0-21 start. Man that was painful. And even in that game he went down swinging. Him and Irvin simply would not give up. That’s the competitiveness we’ve been lacking in our organization the last 28 years. Guys that refuse to lose but just run out of time on the clock to make it happen.

Flamma

Reaction score
I still have PTSD from that 0-21 start. Man that was painful. And even in that game he went down swinging. Him and Irvin simply would not give up. That’s the competitiveness we’ve been lacking in our organization the last 28 years. Guys that refuse to lose but just run out of time on the clock to make it happen.
You reminded me of something. My brother in law at the time, a Cowboys hater since he was a Giants fan. He said, this bleeping team will not give up. I'll always remember that. Complete opposite of what we have now.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If I were JJ
Here is the problem with this scenario, what if we start Lance and he throws 3 picks and we lose to the sorry arse Giants?

First question the media will ask Fat Mike along with every single player on the roster, "do you think you would have won the game if Dak started"?

If they say yes, they are throwing Lance and the entire coaching staff under the bus...........if they say no, then they are throwing their friend and teammate Dak under the bus.

It's a lose-lose scenario that has the potential to tear the locker-room apart as players start to "pick sides", that is why teams do not do this. Name me one team with a QB that finished high in the MVP vote and is totally healthy getting benched for unknown QBs the following year. I don't believe it has ever happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.