Twitter: Proposal would change playoff structure this year

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't like the proposal. I don't think the current playoff structure needs to be tampered with.

Another terrible idea is reseeding the playoffs so that the top 6 W-L records in each conference make the playoffs rather than allowing each division to have a "champ" qualify no matter their record.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't like the proposal. I don't think the current playoff structure needs to be tampered with.

Another terrible idea is reseeding the playoffs so that the top 6 W-L records in each conference make the playoffs rather than allowing each division to have a "champ" qualify no matter their record.

I agree, If they're going to the foolish change so the top 6 W/L records go to the playoffs then they should just abolish divisions and just have the 2 conferences and then make the schedules up solely on previous seasons record with 4 of the games against the other conference again based on previous season's record. I would also make the stipulation that the 6 teams that made the playoffs in each conference would then play all of the playoff teams regardless of conference and then the remaining 3 games would be against teams in their own conference with the next best records. They want so much parity then this will show it. The teams that didn't make the playoffs will get an easier schedule and give them a better chance of making the playoffs. Then the following year those that were in the playoffs 2 seasons agor will have the easier schedule and again make the playoffs so you will do a good job of possibly eliminating repeat Super Bowl winners and have true parity.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree, If they're going to the foolish change so the top 6 W/L records go to the playoffs then they should just abolish divisions and just have the 2 conferences and then make the schedules up solely on previous seasons record with 4 of the games against the other conference again based on previous season's record. I would also make the stipulation that the 6 teams that made the playoffs in each conference would then play all of the playoff teams regardless of conference and then the remaining 3 games would be against teams in their own conference with the next best records. They want so much parity then this will show it. The teams that didn't make the playoffs will get an easier schedule and give them a better chance of making the playoffs. Then the following year those that were in the playoffs 2 seasons agor will have the easier schedule and again make the playoffs so you will do a good job of possibly eliminating repeat Super Bowl winners and have true parity.
Division champs making the playoffs gives the league better structure.

Verdict

Reaction score
I’m not sure what to think about this. I think from a fan’s perspective it’s good for the game. Preseason is way too long. Turning a preseason game into a game that counts in theory will create more interest.

I’m not sure what impact the change will have on injuries. But I think rosters need to be expanded slightly anyway. 53 is not many. It promotes parity. But bad teams tend to stay bad anyway.

I would expand rosters to 60 players and make all of them game day active. It would allow player development and allow players to sit a a game or two per year if there is quality depth behind them.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Watering down the playoffs a bit here.

I'd rather they first fix where an 9-7 (or even 7-9) division winner can HOST a playoff game over a 13-3 (or even 15-1) division runner up.
Let division winners make it, but the better record should host....imo

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Biggest argument might be deciding who gets 8 home games and who gets 9.

And why 18 games and only 2 preseason games is a more logical and fair solution.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Adding games is a disadvantage unless you have a smart FO who picks, acquires, signs and trades for talented 2nd and 3rd string players. Esp. at the QB position.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So I assume it goes in Wild Card round

#2 vs #7

#4 vs #5

#3 vs #6

3 winners move on to next round with #1 seed. Bye round winner gets the lowest seed of those 6 in the next round.

I like it. Makes more $$, increases fan interest. Takes the same amount of time. And having only one bye team is probably more realistic in the age of salary cap parity.
So, instead of the top 2 playoff seeds getting a bye in each conference, only the #1 playoff seed would get a 1st round playoff bye?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's two extra playoff games to be televised, it's all about the money. If I am a player, they either change the playoff comp or no go. Most do not get paid a regular season game check for what amounts to more k9ney for the owners and nets.

I could care less about the 7th ranked team, even if it is my own. What they need to do is go to a seeding system according to record, not division champs. 6 out of 16 is good, no need for another team with potentially a .500 record or less.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's two extra playoff games to be televised, it's all about the money. If I am a player, they either change the playoff comp or no go. Most do not get paid a regular season game check for what amounts to more k9ney for the owners and nets.

I could care less about the 7th ranked team, even if it is my own. What they need to do is go to a seeding system according to record, not division champs. 6 out of 16 is good, no need for another team with potentially a .500 record or less.
It was reported the players would receive a bigger share of TV revenue . And the Bye team would receive a check also which I hadn’t really considered that Bye teams weren’t getting paid for bye week.

Adding another wild card having 3 games onWC weekend Sat and Sun is an easy adjustment.

The more difficult proposal is adding a 17th game. Which teams receive 8 or 9 home games which presents some unfair competitive issues.

And why that proposal is more likely to go to 18 or die.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was reported the players would receive a bigger share of TV revenue . And the Bye team would receive a check also which I hadn’t really considered that Bye teams weren’t getting paid for bye week.

Adding another wild card having 3 games onWC weekend Sat and Sun is an easy adjustment.

The more difficult proposal is adding a 17th game. Which teams receive 8 or 9 home games which presents some unfair competitive issues.

And why that proposal is more likely to go to 18 or die.
They don't need to add what amounts to a .500 team just to get another TV game. It is the owners' attempt at more profit because they will not pay full game checks. A bigger share of the revenue is not full game checks. Want them to play 17 or 18 and then an additional playoff game for all but 1 team? The NFLPA is stupid to even consider that.

These greedy aholes can't leave well enough alone and they will screw this up because it is all about, and only about, more money.

quickccc

Reaction score
Was this at the expense of a lesser preseason game,... or was the NFL wanted more TV money of an extra wild card game
Could also mean fewer training camp and regular season practices.

two more NFL teams to make the playoff. heard rumor that teams such as Cowboys are trying to propose 9 NFL teams to make the playoffs instead of seven.
it's that much watered down with the playoff contention, and there's not that out right fight at the end to make the playoffs.

I don't see that stopping the upper teams that have secured playoff berths in sitting out their
players in the final game of the season. - which is still making a regular season game just like a preseason game.
Only the lower teams will be made to keep their starters in to make a playoff game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They don't need to add what amounts to a .500 team just to get another TV game. It is the owners' attempt at more profit because they will not pay full game checks. A bigger share of the revenue is not full game checks. Want them to play 17 or 18 and then an additional playoff game for all but 1 team? The NFLPA is stupid to even consider that.

These greedy aholes can't leave well enough alone and they will screw this up because it is all about, and only about, more money.
Part of the negotiations and incentive for the players is a bigger percentage of the TV contract overall.

The NFL has been and will continue to be the largest Sports Entertainment entity in the world. It hasn’t been about football in a very long time my friend.

It’s the Golden God of Live TV and American culture. Football purist need to get over it