Punt Returner Options?

conner01

Reaction score
Amazing we have so many experts that say Austin can’t return punts. Well guess not so amazing as that is why they are posting and not coaching. :laugh:
He doesn’t have an issue with returning punts at all
Just catching them
A muffed punt is a huge swing in a game and it’s not like he’s had a couple over his career

conner01

Reaction score
First, why hasn't Gallup been brought up yet? He's a 3rd round WR rookie, he's gonna get a chance before September.

I also think Lewis gets a chance, especially if he really does end up with a smaller role on defense by season opener.

I don't think they like using Beasley because they don't get much out of him. They just don't trust anyone else to do it. I think if Beasley is the PR guy again then they'll be disappointed about it.
That’s why it’s not gonna be a guy who’s never done it
Has Gallup returned punts

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Deonte Thompson has served as a punt returner in the past and has very good speed.

I'm confident that he'll be afforded a chance to do that. Let's see what he has to offer.

Realistically, there are others that should qualify for a looksee at that ST position.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Deonte Thompson has served as a punt returner in the past and has very good speed.

I'm confident that he'll be afforded a chance to do that. Let's see what he has to offer.

Realistically, there are others that should qualify for a looksee at that ST position.
He's worked as a KR, but not a PR, at least not in the NFL. I wouldn't mind a look and see during TC.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
That’s why it’s not gonna be a guy who’s never done it
Has Gallup returned punts

By end of preseason I bet they'll give him a crack at it, and if he does well then they might try him in real games.

No matter who gets it, I think Beasley still does it some. They trust his decision making when the punt is landing in their red zone. But they want to find someone they trust who has more talent and I think it's going to be wide open competition through training camp and preseason. I'm not ruling anyone out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jason Garrett. According to many here at CZ he’s so elusive at getting fired how could he not be a good returner?

conner01

Reaction score
By end of preseason I bet they'll give him a crack at it, and if he does well then they might try him in real games.

No matter who gets it, I think Beasley still does it some. They trust his decision making when the punt is landing in their red zone. But they want to find someone they trust who has more talent and I think it's going to be wide open competition through training camp and preseason. I'm not ruling anyone out.
I don’t know who has returned punts but don’t think they punt someone back who’s never did it
It’s a very tough job and you have to first and foremost catch the punt
I wouldn’t let Austin touch a punt
I might let him return kicks which could be something with new rules

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I don’t know who has returned punts but don’t think they punt someone back who’s never did it
It’s a very tough job and you have to first and foremost catch the punt
I wouldn’t let Austin touch a punt
I might let him return kicks which could be something with new rules
Austin is terrible on kick returns. Go look up his stats for returning kicks

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I would be thrilled if we just found a PR that had one simple skill- the ability to make a successful fair catch. That is an incredibly underrated skill.

Ever notice that some teams like NE will use a guy as a PR not so much for his ability to avoid tacklers, but for his ability to reliably make a fair catch? Guys like Danny Amendola who also can occasionally break one. But the importance of the Fair catch is that it prevents loss of field position.

IMO, what made Ryan Switzer a poor PR was how many times he let the ball hit the ground when he could have made a fc. I believe he led the league last year with number of unfielded punts which is a killer for field position. And he cost us the rams game with his killer fumble late in first half. When you think about it, the “take it to the house” punt return is so rare, it’s almost overrated compared to the reliability of a guy who can be counted on to successfully field a punt on a consistent basis.

In other words, let’s find a guy who can be reliable back there fielding punts. We haven’t had a guy like that since Dwayne Harris left.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What are the options other than Tavon Austin?
On offense I'm anxious to see Austin but I hope they don't plan on him being the top Punt Returner.

Terrance. His palms up body catching is a natural to field punts, and he actually does seem to have a knack for open field running if you give him a little space up front to work with.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Amazing we have so many experts that say Austin can’t return punts. Well guess not so amazing as that is why they are posting and not coaching. :laugh:
You won’t be laughing if Tavon fumbles a punt and cost us a game. Also, you don’t need to be a coach, to know Tavon’s history of fumbling punts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You won’t be laughing if Tavon fumbles a punt and cost us a game. Also, you don’t need to be a coach, to know Tavon’s history of fumbling punts.

The *data* says that Austin is a punt fumbler.

http://insidethepylon.com/football-.../26/fumbling-data-truth-patriots-fumble-rate/
A study from Football Perspectivesuggests that the fumble rate on kickoff returns is 3.1%, while the fumble rate on punt returns is 3.5%.​

What was Austin? 11%? On a large sample of fumbles. Around 20?

Anyone want to calculate a p-value on that versus the null? Anyone who knows what that means, knows it's completely unnecessary.

That *data* says he's a punt fumbler.