Punt Returner Options?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I generally agree
But after more than 150 punt returns he hasn’t learned yet
At what point do you decide he’s just not a punt returner

Because fans always think that a player can be taught things he couldn't do before when they join their team.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I generally agree
But after more than 150 punt returns he hasn’t learned yet
At what point do you decide he’s just not a punt returner

There is no way to know how much is coaching and how much is on the player. My guess is generally going to be putting it on the player.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
There is no way to know how much is coaching and how much is on the player. My guess is generally going to be putting it on the player.
This isn't high school or college ball, this is the pros and catching the ball is as basic a skill as there is. Coaching that skill at this level may help some, but it's 5 years worth of data and it's not going out on a limb to say it's probably the player and not the coaching. Like the saying goes, coaches can coach, but the players still have to execute.

It's remarkable that after 5 years, people still want to consider letting him do something he has shown over and over he struggles to do.

conner01

Reaction score
This isn't high school or college ball, this is the pros and catching the ball is as basic a skill as there is. Coaching that skill at this level may help some, but it's 5 years worth of data and it's not going out on a limb to say it's probably the player and not the coaching. Like the saying goes, coaches can coach, but the players still have to execute.

It's remarkable that after 5 years, people still want to consider letting him do something he has shown over and over he struggles to do.
It’s much harder than some think. You have to quickly read the coverage and know whether to fair catch or return. You have to judge the depth and angle to know where to be to make the catch
Just from watching video of some of his muffs it appears he can’t read the angle and is always reaching out to make the catch
Being a dynamic athlete is great on returns but even there you have to read the blocks and know where the seam is
He just isn’t able to do it
Now that doesn’t mean it’s a bad trade or he can’t help the offense
I actually think in the offense he can be a nice weapon, just don’t think he needs to be returning anything unless it’s to Walmart

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Isn't that what I said.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's not angry or mean, I'm just very pro-DL.

That, and I hate that "don't waste a draft pick on a 2 down guy" argument.

Not angry or mean, but you managed to get "hate" in there pretty quickly.

Don't be shy. Let the hate flow through you!