Put Justin Herbert under the same microscope you put Dak under

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Herbert has a cap hit of $6m. If Dak had a cap hit of $6m, he would have a lot less detractors. In a few years when Herbert asks for $60m per year, he will get a lot more criticism if he hasn't had playoff success.
Lmao. Dak had TONS of detractors when he was only making pennies during his rookie contract years. Cowboys Fans will ALWAYS find something to complain about.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
It’s not better or worse, Gunslinger simply defines their rate of play. Montana, Manning, Brady, the greatest QBs of all time, none were gunslingers. I’d argue even Marino wasn’t. It’s never meant “better QB” or anything positive. It’s simply a playstyle. And it’s not my description, it’s the common understanding of the term. So I’m not sure where you’re trying to lead with that one.

Again I never said Dak isn’t good at throwing downfield, I said he’s not a gunslinger because he’s not reckless with the ball, as everyone knows the term to mean. Youre misunderstanding a common football term. Have you never heard it before?

No… I just think Dak takes more chances and is far more aggressive than you are willing to give him credit for.

Two passes on last Thurs are perfect illustrations of his playstyle IMO:

1. 0-0 backed up on the 2, 1st down, empty backfield— 30+ yard completion to Cooper

2. the INT off of Lamb’s hands. That throw was his best throw of the night. Threaded the needle in coverage and hit him right in the mits. Aggressive. Nothing safe about it.

All three of his TDs came against the blitz when he was under pressure. He wasn’t “checking down”— he was going for the jugular.

So— no I would not say Dak is “reckless”— but I would definitely say he is aggressive— so he has some positive aspects of the “gunslinger” playstyle— and he limits the negative aspects.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No… I just think Dak takes more chances and is far more aggressive than you are willing to give him credit for.

Two passes on last Thurs are perfect illustrations of his playstyle IMO:

1. 0-0 backed up on the 2, 1st down, empty backfield— 30+ yard completion to Cooper

2. the INT off of Lamb’s hands. That throw was his best throw of the night. Threaded the needle in coverage and hit him right in the mits. Aggressive. Nothing safe about it.

All three of his TDs came against the blitz when he was under pressure. He wasn’t “checking down”— he was going for the jugular.

So— no I would not say Dak is “reckless”— but I would definitely say he is aggressive— so he has some positive aspects of the “gunslinger” playstyle— and he limits the negative aspects.

Taking what the defense gives him also applies to downfield passing. Tom Brady only takes what the defense gives him.

How many 4 interception games has Dak had in his career like Favre? How many games has Dak lost like Romo where he has a lead at the end of the fourth and throws a needless interception down the middle of the field? How many times Has Dak had a lead and he wouldn’t stop throwing the ball, which let the opposing team catch up? How often does Dak throw into double coverage? How often does he throw into triple coverage? How many times has Dak refused the short throw and ran around in the pocket for 6 seconds like Tarkenton to try and get someone downfield open, even if he had little-to-no pressure?

Dak Prescott puts up big downfield stats, but that is very different to being a gunslinger. Dak Prescott is not a gunslinger.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Taking what the defense gives him also applies to downfield passing. Tom Brady only takes what the defense gives him.

How many 4 interception games has Dak had in his career like Favre? How many games has Dak lost like Romo where he has a lead at the end of the fourth and throws a needless interception down the middle of the field? How many times Has Dak had a lead and he wouldn’t stop throwing the ball, which let the opposing team catch up? How often does Dak throw into double coverage? How often does he throw into triple coverage? How many times has Dak refused the short throw and ran around in the pocket for 6 seconds like Tarkenton to try and get someone downfield open, even if he had little-to-no pressure?

Dak Prescott is not a gunslinger.

How many times has Herbert done those things? Lol

Sounds like he is not a gunslinger then either. LOL!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
First let me say I think Justin Herbert is a good young QB who should continue to learn and develop yet if you put him under the same microscope as Dak then it amazes me how Dak critics can be so high on Justin and acting like he is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady.

Fact is Herbert has never beaten a winning team his wins have been against the Jags, Jets, falcons, raiders, broncos and yes week 17 last year vs KC who did not play Mahomes or most of the starters and now he beat the Washington football team. Yet we are supposed to act as if Justin is some unbeatable QB? looks to be he has been beat many times himself and in Dallas would likely be mocked and attacked constantly

Cowboys did have their struggle on defense this past game vs Tampa and Brady a team who avg 30 points a game last season and won the SB to boot. Justin is not Brady and LA Chargers are not Tampa. Cowboys have a good chance of winning this game.

+1

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
How many times has Herbert done those things? Lol

Sounds like he is not a gunslinger then either. LOL!!

Did you watch him last year? He was throwing it all over the field, open or not. He was force feeding Keenan Allen in all kinds of weird situations. Dude is pretty accurate throw, why he didn’t come away with too many mistakes.

How many LAC games did you watch?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Did you watch him last year? He was throwing it all over the field, open or not. He was force feeding Keenan Allen in all kinds of weird situations. Dude is pretty accurate throw, why he didn’t come away with too many mistakes.

So now the “gunslinger” playstyle gets redefined (again) to now be “throwing the ball all over the field in weird situation”.

OK. Lol… I am disengaging from this discussion with you for the third time now. Enjoy the game bro…

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So now the “gunslinger” playstyle gets redefined (again) to now be “throwing the ball all over the field in weird situation”.

OK. Lol… I am disengaging from this discussion with you for the third time now. Enjoy the game bro…

What do you mean disengaging, this is your discussion. You wanted it to be about Dak. And Yes, he takes risks with the football. Are you now defending Justin Herbert? Explain to me what you see in his game that makes him not a gunslinger.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

I have seen justin play once, the 1st game against wash, and he looked pretty good.
It is pointless to compare qb's who are on different teams with different coaches ,players etc.
If you watch them play you can compare certain things, but it is a team game, and dallas has to beat chargers not just herbert.

Chargers can run the ball too, some good rb's , I think though like dallas they tend to pass too much.
I think Bosa could give dallas a hard time though. Should be a close game.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yes, he takes risks with the football. Are you now defending Justin Herbert? Explain to me what you see in his game that makes him not a gunslinger.

I have never been down on Herbert. Just challenging your analysis of Dak considering how you hyped Herbert up on page 1

In essence— I never said Herbert wasn’t a gunslinger, only that Dak was actually a better one. They look comparable to me in many categories.

2021-03-23-3.png

JBond

Reaction score
One guy plays for the Dallas Cowboys, the other doesn’t.

Their “microscopes” will never even be close to similar.

Was Philip Rivers even close to as scrutinized and criticized as Tony Romo was?
Umm... yes.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

JBond

Reaction score

Nav22

Reaction score
Depends on the market you live in. Back when I was a KC resident it was a topic on every morning sports show. Some Cowboys fan live in a Cowboy bubble.
Sounds like you’re the one who was in a bubble then. Local KC media? That’s cute.

I’m from the SF Bay Area and lived in Connecticut for much of the Romo era, and I didn’t hear anyone give a crap about the Chargers. Even in CA... hence the Chargers’ piss-poor attendance that ultimately led to them moving to LA.

The NATIONAL media discussed Romo/the Cowboys nonstop and completely ignored Rivers/the Chargers.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Sorry— hit reply on the wrong message earlier. @Aerolithe_Lion

“Because this was never a Dak thread….

And Dak is not a gunslinger.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/theres-nothing-good-about-a-gunslinger/

Here is your first quote which I think highlights where the confusion lies:

“At 4300 yards, 31 TDs and 10 INTs, Justin Herbert’s rookie season is already the greatest statistic season a Charger has ever had.

Couple that with the fact that it wasn’t even a full year (Tyrod Taylor opened as their starter), and it would be a bit of a disappointment if he didn’t finish 2021 entrenched as a top 10 QB in the NFL.

That’s my Dak microscope on Justin Herbert. Week 2 opponent is a legit gunslinger.”

The article you posted just highlights more of the negative aspects of the “gunslinger” playstyle. IMO— Herbert and Dak are actually quite comparable (see stats from earlier post) and NEITHER QB actually exemplify the negative qualities in the article— and BOTH QBs exemplify some of the positive traits (aggressive, downfield passing).

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
I'm taking Herbert over Prescott. I presume the guys wanting Prescott are just trolls.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Herbert has a cap hit of $6m. If Dak had a cap hit of $6m, he would have a lot less detractors. In a few years when Herbert asks for $60m per year, he will get a lot more criticism if he hasn't had playoff success.
Dak faxed criticism when he was making 500k a year lol.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak fans love to reach…. Man walked into a QBs dream and he drove the bus and looked like a joke when it fell apart, because Zeke suspended and then the next year thr “Dak-friendly” offense was setting Quincy Carter records in futility. All of this eas happening while our resident OCs were tailoring the offense to his skill sets.

It took him a week to throw a TD in training camp in year 3. People act like his garbage time stats are an actual accomplishment here. Even in his “record setting” year in 2019 the offense tailed off like usual and the Cowboys were basically leading the league in quarters without scoring a TD.

Dak hasn’t proven Jack squat…. Can’t even throw off a traditional 5-7 step drop regularly..

Training Dak wasted a SB ready roster.. Herbert was drafted to build a franchise around..