QB Option no 3 Andy Dalton

CWR

Reaction score
A look at his previous years may change your mind. Or maybe not.

I went a little too broad. Dalton had promise at one point. It never materialized. Hes had a couple good not great seasons. I like the Dak option ideas, just dont like the idea of an old Dalton or Keenum being our franchise QB. Not even in the short term.

garyo1954

Reaction score
A look at his previous years may change your mind. Or maybe not.

Remember the knocks on him when he was drafted?

"He's a redhead and there has never been a successful QB."

Now that we've dumped our redhead Mr. Lucky Garrett, (how else do you explain his tenure) we need to get another!

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I went a little too broad. Dalton had promise at one point. It never materialized. Hes had a couple good not great seasons. I like the Dak option ideas, just dont like the idea of an old Dalton or Keenum being our franchise QB. Not even in the short term.

I don't like Keenum but I think Dalton at 32 makes for the 3rd best fall back option.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I don't care who they bring in as long as he plays well enough to get Dak thinking about losing his starting job.

You got:

Foles*
Dalton
Carr
Rivers
Brady*
Winston
Newton*
Rosen
Brissett
Keenum
Bridgewater

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"dalton just needs a new scheme. I'd like to see what a different coach could do for him"

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I don't care who they bring in as long as he plays well enough to get Dak thinking about losing his starting job.

You got:

Foles*
Dalton
Carr
Rivers
Brady*
Winston
Newton*
Rosen
Brissett
Keenum
Bridgewater

I don't even think you need to bring anyone in. Offer him 5 years at 30 per. he says no. tag him at 27 and let him seek a partner willing to give up 2 1sts and pay him what he wants. He will sign the 5 year deal within 48 hours.

CWR

Reaction score
I don't like Keenum but I think Dalton at 32 makes for the 3rd best fall back option.

Id really need a stud young QB on deck if that scenario played out. The worst case scenario for me is parting with Dak and taking a clear step back. Everyone talks about how you can use that money to improve in other areas. I understand that, but believe there is a minimal competency a QB has to have in order for a team to succeed, regardless of other strengths. There are very few exceptions, maybe Trent Dilfer for example. We probably won't have a historically great defense though, and regardless of oline or running game strengths, I think the offense flounders with anything markedly less than Dak. Just my opinion, but if we'd made a move like that Id much prefer we went after an older not far removed from greatness type of qb and hope for a career resurgence with our surrounding talent. At least Id feel there's potential for that. Ill admit I may be selling Dalton short because hes ginger.

Edit - Id be interested in Carr or Cam as well. Also I know it would probably be a huge blunder, but I wonder if anyone will ever harness Winstons talent and reign him in.

Last edited:

SDCowboy

Reaction score
This may be one of the longest off seasons ever.

What a garbage thread.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I don't even think you need to bring anyone in. Offer him 5 years at 30 per. he says no. tag him at 27 and let him seek a partner willing to give up 2 1sts and pay him what he wants. He will sign the 5 year deal within 48 hours.

Still got to have a backup. And if you don't want to go through this again you need someone who can put the fear of "Mr Bench" in his britches.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3plxwe.jpg