QB Patrick Mahomes says he's not worried about getting passed over by other QBs in contract numbers

kskboys

Reaction score
How did he get paid early by signing a longer term contract?

He would have been much better off to do the traditional 5 year deal and negotiate another deal five years down the road at the new market rate rather than lock in at current market rate for 10 years.

He got a small signing bonus and the contract was structured with the majority being in annual "roster bonuses" which pay him if he is on the roster on a certain date (mid March) every season. He did the opposite of "get paid early".

In no way did he do the smartest thing from an entirely financial perspective. He left money on the table and gave the team flexibility. But like he said himself, He got all he needs to be set for life AND he wants to chase the legacy.

He wins, the team wins, the fans win.
How in hades are some not capable of seeing this? Agenda driven drivel?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’m just saying Mahomes wanted to keep Hill….he’s so kind why didn’t he take a pay cut? I know the answer in just making a joke out of people think Mahomes isn’t compensated or that he wasn’t the highest paid QB in the league at one point.
why didnt hill sign for a lower amount than what miami gave him? He isnt into rings I guess.
And as I said there could be other reasons they didnt resign hill.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
he got a 450M contract. there is a rule how much of a contract can be a bonus (actually I think because of Jerry and the contract he handed to Deion). so getting a 10 year contract at $450 he got 166M in signing bonus. that's Dak's 4 year contract in one up front lump sum (please don't take it as I am saying Dak is like Mahomes or any type of comparison of value of contract or worth of a player). IMO, So although he might have been able to wait and get a larger AAV than $45M, that large lump sum, lets say that 80M, 5 years sooner is a lot more attractive. at least that's what I would do if I had the options.

its like if you win the lottery. would you take a lump sum up front that's 70% of total value or an annual payment over 20+ years. for me, its an easy decision. I take the 70% today.
This is not correct. Do yourself a favor and look up the details

He got nowhere near 166m upfront.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They got rid of Hill because they believed in their offensive system. It had nothing to do with Mahomes.
That's not why they got rid of him.

'While the two sides saw eye-to-eye on Hill's potential annual salary, Hill was unimpressed with the amount of guaranteed money the Chiefs offered. Conversely, the Dolphins offered a contract Hill said he simply couldn't turn down.'

They offered him a contract to retain him.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
That's not why they got rid of him.

'While the two sides saw eye-to-eye on Hill's potential annual salary, Hill was unimpressed with the amount of guaranteed money the Chiefs offered. Conversely, the Dolphins offered a contract Hill said he simply couldn't turn down.'

They offered him a contract to retain him.
They didn't offer him the guaranteed money because they didn't believe in his self-perceived value. Would they have liked to bring him back? Of course. Were they going to break the bank for him? No chance. What did they do the next year? Win the Lombardi.