News: QB Tiers by Jason La Canfora CBS Sports

Daillest88

Reaction score
This is how I do my tiers:

Tier 1 is Elite: Elite is a horribly overused word, this is reserved for the pinnacle of QB play. If you accomplish this tier for a number of years in a row, you’re a shoe in for the Hall of Fame. Sometimes there are 5 elite QBs, sometimes there is 1.

Aaron Rodgers
Pat Mahomes
Tom Brady

Tier 2 is Great: If the All-Pro QB is not from the 1st Tier, then it is almost assuredly from this tier. If you have a strong roster, there is never any question whether or not you’re a true contender when this QB is healthy.

Russell Wilson
Matt Stafford
Deshaun Watson
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert*
Lamar Jackson

Tier 3 is Pro Bowl Caliber: QB’s who will put up nice stats if the Oline is healthy and the skill positions are well-invested. QB’s who can reliably finish the season with winning records when everything is going right, will make an occasional pro bowl if a guy higher on the list is injured, Though will rarely if ever be considered for All-Pro. Also Not impossible to make a super bowl run of the team is loaded.

Joe Burrow*
Kyler Murray
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins
Jimmy GQ
Ryan Tannehill
Derek Carr

Tier 4 is Franchise QB Caliber: It’s not a bad idea to extend these guys, as finding one to fit on a higher tier is pretty rare. May make a pro bowl or two in their career, otherwise they’ve signed up for the mantra “Good Enough is good enough.” Can squeeze into the playoffs with a talented enough team.

Mac Jones
Jared Goff
Jameis Winston
Jalen Hurts
Tua Tagovailoa
Carson Wentz
Baker Mayfield

Tier 5 is Work In Progress: Who knows? Who cares?

That guy in Houston
That guy in New York A
That guy in New York B
That guy in Jacksonville
That guy in Seattle
That guy in Pittsburgh
That guy in Chicago
That guy Im probably forgetting

* = I need more than a playoff run to judge Burrow. His regular season was not tier 2 caliber, but we’ll see how he follows up his 3 consecutive playoff wins. On the same note, I may have Herbert too high… just tough to rate QBs on a couple very early seasons. ESPECIALLY one who has never even made the playoffs.

awesome breakdown. I agree with this .

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak's stats were much better that Watson last year.....he played hurt and didn't sit on his butt collecting a pay check for nothing.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I don’t get the Lamar Jackson love. He seems to hold the Ravens back a little bit. Other than that I totally agree with the assessment. I’d take Dak over Matt Ryan but I’d probably take Murray and Mac Jones over Dak.
Cause Lamar is always going to have that team winning with his legs. He's Mike Vick part 2. Gonna get 10-12 wins a year but never gonna win the big game or the game prior to the big game.

tm1119

Reaction score
Matt Ryan is overrated in tier 2. Age has caught up

Tier 4 should stop at Murray. Winston, Hurts, Jones and Tua don’t belong in the same tier as Dak at all.

These minor corrections put Dak in the 12-15 range. Personally I’d say 13, but that range is probably about right.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
To move guys up or down from one year to the next is ludicrous. Some linemen could have gotten hurt or a star receiver could have gone down. Groupings like this one should be done every three years. You update it every year to add the new comers, but don't move the others vets like that. Just saying.

Sydla

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...s-among-franchise-guys-placeholders-and-more/

Dak outside the top 10 in the same tier as Carr, Cousins, Tannehill, Murray, Winston, Jalen Hurts, Mac Jones, Tua Tagovailoa

Can't say I disagree. He's in the "Can win with them" tier

I won’t say Dak is some elite QB but he’s better than Winston.

And in no case should Hurts be in the same class as Dak at this point.

But LaCanfora is also an Eagles wank always overvaluing them and their players. Just yesterday he made a prediction that the Eagles would be in the NFCCG.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn’t use LaCanfora as your basis to try to prove Nav22 wrong.
I'm sure that's what he'll say too, but he acted like everyone has Dak in their top 10.

As the season goes on these "Dak not in the top 10" lists will become more and more frequent I'm afraid.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Hahaha, this is just embarrassing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I won’t say Dak is some elite QB but he’s better than Winston.

And in no case should Hurts be in the same class as Dak at this point.

But LaCanfora is also an Eagles wank always overvaluing them and their players. Just yesterday he made a prediction that the Eagles would be in the NFCCG.
Fair points

CWR

Reaction score
I don’t agree with him being on the same tier as Tua, but he should be right with guys like Cousins and Derek Carr.

Ah, yeah I won't argue that now. I think he can be above them, but after our finish last season he's going to have to prove it.

morat1959

Reaction score
I don’t get the Lamar Jackson love. He seems to hold the Ravens back a little bit. Other than that I totally agree with the assessment. I’d take Dak over Matt Ryan but I’d probably take Murray and Mac Jones over Dak.
Same here with Jackson. Hasn’t proven anything.

morat1959

Reaction score
The dude is 37-12 as a starter, a career 64% passer (higher than both Josh Allen or Matt Stafford), and was on pace for 4000 yards last year before he got hurt. What passing deficiencies are you talking about?

He’s accurate and it’s led him to have one of the greatest winning %’s in NFL history for a player in his first 4 seasons. It’s not hard to see what he’s rated so high.
What has he won? Lots of folks a Madden championship? Fantasy football money? He’ll be gone w once his legs go. You’re probably on the Dak train????