Video: QB turned Psychic? Tony Romo Predicts Future

Kaiser

Reaction score
there were a few times when Romo sounded almost giddy about what he was seeing/calling. You can tell he likely still has the desire....that the fire still burns in him. It's too bad his body wouldn't cooperate.

And 90% of the time he would be. If any team in the NFL spends a 4th round pick on Dak Prescott last year, Romo would be our starter right now.

erod

Reaction score
He was Peyton-like with the way he read the game. Amazing. Imagine if he had pass protection and a defense his entire career?

He needs to work on his volume, and perhaps tone down the football lingo (which I love but some won't).

What was cool is that he was different. Spoke during plays when it was pertinent. Didn't follow all the old rules.

coult44

Reaction score
For his 1st game, he was beyond good. Got rave reviews from all over social media.

As for grammar, who cares. Fans aren't watching for his grammar etiquette.

I think it's great that we look to social media reviews to determine if something is good or not...LOL.....As far as Tony go's, he was good. Not because Twitter told me he was, but because I heard him...

shabazz

Reaction score
I think it's great that we look to social media reviews to determine if something is good or not...LOL.....As far as Tony go's, he was good. Not because Twitter told me he was, but because I heard him...

I don't belong to twatter or Facebook. I keeps it 100

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
What you will see is that Nantz will become even better calling the game too. People think Nantz is boring but it's tough to do much with Simms not giving him a lot to work with either. If you ever watch him do college basketball, he is much more energetic with Bill Raftery and Grant Hill. I think Romo will bring out the same in him.

Titleist

Reaction score
Really impressive stuff here. I wonder if CBS is going to ask him to tone down the predictions so as to not spoil any surprises for the audience.. I hope not!

sean10mm

Reaction score
About the only criticism I have of Romo's color commentary is that he hasn't quite hit on a consistent tone and cadence yet. Sometimes he talked faster, sometimes his voice pitched up or down a little, his "vocal performance" wasn't as smooth as guys who have been doing it for years. But that's just a function of time in the booth.

Aside from the quality, it felt like Romo had a really good feel for when to add more commentary, and when to hold back. Guys who are bad at color either talk too much or are barely there at all, he seemed to hit the sweet spot pretty well.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say he was "good".
My reaction to his work is that it was refreshing and different and interesting. I think he will get better as the year goes on.

-He needs to talk louder as his voice trails off too much at the ends of his sentences.
-Grammar was bad a few times. I get it's football and not a debate on global warming, but if he wants to be taken seriously he should work in it.
-As he gets more polished, he needs to balance his commentary on the defense as well. It was very focused on play calling and the QB mindset - which he did a great job on. However, as more then a casual fan I want to hear more about what the defense is doing.

I was nice to not hear stupid clichés like so many of the other color guys use.
Good and thoughtful analysis.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As for grammar, who cares. Fans aren't watching for his grammar etiquette.

Emmitt Smith begs to differ.
Those who don't care for grammar are generally those who don't appreciate it themselves.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I look forward to hearing him commentary. From what I've seen so far, I think people are going a bit overboard on his ability to predict plays. Running right or running left isn't hard to figure especially when you look at the formation. Calling the blitz from different locations was cool. But even that's not the entire point of color analysis. In fact, calling plays too often can serve as a bit of an annoyance to the viewer because it takes the element of surprise out of the game.

Madden was great because for most of his career he just celebrated the game of football and the nuances of football. They only time Madden became annoying was his fawning over Favre, but otherwise it's a great career of announcing. I never got the hint that Madden was trying to goad the viewers by overly rooting for or against a team or a certain player. He just had a great deal of respect for everybody involved in the game and it showed thru his commentary and you looked forward to hearing what he had to say.

Madden could also analyze what was going on, why it was going on and what both teams were going to do in response to what is going on. The players and coaches responded positively to Madden and he was able to dig up more information as time went along.

I really hope that is more of what Romo can bring to the table as it is sorely missed in color commentary today.

YR

Great analysis.