QB's not named Prescott

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this does end up being a one year season for Prescott, below are just nine of the QB's to watch, should they play in the fall or spring of 2021.

Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
Justin Fields, Ohio State
Sam Ehlinger, Texas
Ian Book, Notre Dame
Brock Purdy, Iowa State
Tanner Morgan, Minnesota
Kellen Mond, Texas A&M'
Kyle Trask, Florida
Brady White, Memphis

The benefits the Cowboys have of a one year deal are to watch McC's offense and how dependent it is on play execution vs play creation from the QB and the fact that they do have a good, not great, QB at backup does give them some option to go for one of these young QB's and let Dalton steer the ship until the youngster is ready to step in.

With the money already tied up in other positions and a good offense to step into, a more affordable QB for the next 3-4 years would be beneficial to the Cowboys more than any other team. They have the HC and OC to bring a young QB along.

I think it would be good for some here to stop thinking Prescott, short term or long term, and start thinking about other options. The Cowboys could have an offense that a number of QB's could step into and thrive and let's remember, that's exactly what Prescott stepped into as a rookie.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this does end up being a one year season for Prescott, below are just nine of the QB's to watch, should they play in the fall or spring of 2021.

Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
Sam Ehlinger, Texas
Ian Book, Notre Dame
Brock Purdy, Iowa State
Tanner Morgan, Minnesota
Kellen Mond, Texas A&M'
Kyle Trask, Florida
Brady White, Memphis

The benefits the Cowboys have of a one year deal are to watch McC's offense and how dependent it is on play execution vs play creation from the QB and the fact that they do have a good, not great, QB at backup does give them some option to go for one of these young QB's and let Dalton steer the ship until the youngster is ready to step in.

With the money already tied up in other positions and a good offense to step into, a more affordable QB for the next 3-4 years would be beneficial to the Cowboys more than any other team. They have the HC and OC to bring a young QB along.

I think it would be good for some here to stop thinking Prescott, short term or long term, and start thinking about other options. The Cowboys could have an offense that a number of QB's could step into and thrive and let's remember, that's exactly what Prescott stepped into as a rookie.
Elhinger will be available with a late pick, unless he has a monster year. I love his game. Kinda reminds me of Dak. I really like Dak, but if he doesn't sign the long-term deal, it may be time to move on. I don't like the uncertainty and I don't like him being handcuffed with a one year deal. I feel he held back a bit at times last year to avoid injury. I have no proof of that, just a feeling.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Transfers are a crap shoot for most coaches except Riley.
LSU (Burrow), Ohio St (Fields), Washington (Jacob Eason) and OU (Hurts) did spectacularly well with them last year.

And OU (Murray), Washington St (Minshew), and others the year before too
....but yes, in the old days it was a big deal..

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
Going number one.
Going top 5.
Sam Ehlinger, Texas
No thanks.
Ian Book, Notre Dame
No thanks.No seriously, no thank you.

Brock Purdy, Iowa State
Love this kid. I've scouted him since his sophomore year in high school. There was a period where he was not being highly recruited and I told our Head Coach (who is also the QB coach) we should offer him and he said "too small, won't make it". I still give him crap about that.
Tanner Morgan, Minnesota
Gutsy kid but I don't love his tools. Not sure he can make all the NFL throws.
Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
Kind of feel he's a system QB, but he shows flashes. I'm about to chart 10 of his 2019 games (mainly looking at 2022 Tight End prospect) so I feel I'll have a better feel for him soon.
Kyle Trask, Florida
Watches him a lot in breaking down Tight End Kyle Pitts' film. He is so raw. A big, thick kid, who surprisingly doesn't have a big, strong arm to go with that size. Mullen is going to coahc him up but again, so raw.
Brady White, Memphis
Another guy I wonder if he's a system guy. I want to see how he does without Mike Norvell's offense this year.

Jamie Newmann
@JBS made an apt comparison, saying he throws like Vince Young. I think that's what he is, a less athletic, poor man's Vince Young.
Plus,
former 5 star QB JT Daniels
...was just named immediately eligible so one of the two Georgia transfers is about to be disappointed.

Some guys you forgot:
Trey Lance, North Dakota State
K.J. Costello, Mississippi State
Sean Clifford, Penn State

and @JBS hero, Dylan McCaffery at Michigan

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Transfers are a crap shoot for most coaches except Riley.
Old school thinking. especially with quarterbacks. Quarterbacks need to play so sometimes a transfer needs to happen to get them in the right situation.

You know who else was a transfer?

This guy...

s-l300.jpg

Also, this guy...

ncf_g_newton1x_400.jpg

This guy as well...

https:%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTY4OTI5NjQ2NzA2OTYwMzAw%2Frussell-wilson-nc-state.jpg

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Going number one.

Going top 5.

No thanks.

No thanks.No seriously, no thank you.

Love this kid. I've scouted him since his sophomore year in high school. There was a period where he was not being highly recruited and I told our Head Coach (who is also the QB coach) we should offer him and he said "too small, won't make it". I still give him crap about that.

Gutsy kid but I don't love his tools. Not sure he can make all the NFL throws.

Kind of feel he's a system QB, but he shows flashes. I'm about to chart 10 of his 2019 games (mainly looking at 2022 Tight End prospect) so I feel I'll have a better feel for him soon.

Watches him a lot in breaking down Tight End Kyle Pitts' film. He is so raw. A big, thick kid, who surprisingly doesn't have a big, strong arm to go with that size. Mullen is going to coahc him up but again, so raw.

Another guy I wonder if he's a system guy. I want to see how he does without Mike Norvell's offense this year.

@JBS made an apt comparison, saying he throws like Vince Young. I think that's what he is, a less athletic, poor man's Vince Young.
Plus,

...was just named immediately eligible so one of the two Georgia transfers is about to be disappointed.

Some guys you forgot:
Trey Lance, North Dakota State
K.J. Costello, Mississippi State
Sean Clifford, Penn State

and @JBS hero, Dylan McCaffery at Michigan
I really don't know how Newman will turn out, but he is a way better passer than Vince Young.
I dint see that call.

Dude can just easily be called a bigger, faster Prescott.
Dont know if he has the intangibles though.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I really don't know how Newman will turn out, but he is a way better passer than Vince Young.
I dint see that ca ll.
I watched some of his games (really like the Wake Forest WR) and thought he made some athletic plays. He does throw a lot of rainbow, lollipop passes which is where I agreed with the Vince Young comp.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
As of right now, this draft has exactly two quarterbacks with legit NFL talent - Lawrence and Fields.

There are guys who can prove it this year - Lance, Costello, Book, Mond - but this is a really thin class after the top two.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
As of right now, this draft has exactly two quarterbacks with legit NFL talent - Lawrence and Fields.

There are guys who can prove it this year - Lance, Costello, Book, Mond - but this is a really thin class after the top two.
Agreed and I'm not even 100% sold on Fields as an elite NFL QB. He definitely has the tools.

I do like Lance but worry about his LOC and the fact that he just runs whenever he needs to make a play. Reminds me of Cam the year he played JuCo at Blinn. He can just do whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

I also like Brock Purdy but his size is an issue.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Depends on where we are drafting, I would go all in on Lawrence. People compare him to Peyton Manning.

Bigdog

Reaction score

Lawrence is unattainable without being bad enough for the the 1st overal pick
Anybody is attainable. The Rams got Goff from moving up from 15. We will have to pay a lot but It I am willing to do it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Elhinger will be available with a late pick, unless he has a monster year. I love his game. Kinda reminds me of Dak. I really like Dak, but if he doesn't sign the long-term deal, it may be time to move on

So we let go of Dak and get Dak again? What's the point of that?

Latin1

Reaction score
Possibility the Cowboys Non Exclusive Franchise tag Prescott next year, hoping that someone will take him away for 2 first round draft picks. I think there will always be a chance the Cowboys try to trade him outright but then they can dangle a little bait for a team that is needy for a QB. Replacing him with.....I like Tanner Morgan, stands strong in the pocket and throws a pretty and accurate ball, if he declares.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Possibility the Cowboys Non Exclusive Franchise tag Prescott next year, hoping that someone will take him away for 2 first round draft picks.
I know the Dak debate is all the rage, and I'm pro-Dak, but I just don't see teams lining up to pay two 1st round picks and $35M per for Dak.

Latin1

Reaction score
I know the Dak debate is all the rage, and I'm pro-Dak, but I just don't see teams lining up to pay two 1st round picks and $35M per for Dak.

I'd agree with that but if they do not have the faith in him that I thought they did (I'm a Dak fan as well) why not dangle him out there and let's see what bites. I think the relationship is soured and the chemistry with the team will never be the same, so time to move on. I never would have thought Joey Galloway, Hershel Walker or Ricky Williams would have been worth so much either but the value of Dak will be what the market is willing to pay.

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'd agree with that but if they do not have the faith in him that I thought they did (I'm a Dak fan as well) why not dangle him out there and let's see what bites.
Just remember that in order to trade him, you have to tag him again. and while you wait to find bidders, he sucks up $38M worth of cap room, restricting who you can add in free agency.

I never would have thought Joey Galloway, Hershel Walker or Ricky Williams would have been worth so much either
Those trades, especially 2 of them, were life lessons and GM's are terrified of being the team that gave up too much.

Although, Atlanta seems to have survived giving up two 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, and two 4th rounder to jump up and get him. Thomas Dimitroff ran the idea by his mentors, Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli before the draft, and they both thought it was too much to give up. Teams are risk averse on those types of moves because of the Herschel Walker trade Jimmy pulled off.