Question about Deion Sanders

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2306176 said:
2003 -- 46-for-116, 590 yards, 1 TD (16 games)
2004 -- 47-for-98, 577 yards, 7 TD (16 games)
2005 -- 35-for-81, 394 yards, 1 TD (16 games)
2006 -- 42-for-78, 587 yards, 3 TD (16 games)

Like I said, I don't have 2007 from STATS LLC yet.

And you might notice that they have him allowing a TD in 2005, when Parcells and the rest of the team said he didn't. They're counting Eddie Kennison's 47-yard TD catch against him because he was the closest defender on the play. I leave it in the numbers even though it's wrong, because their numbers might not be entirely accurate for other players, either. So as long as they're about equally wrong for everyone, it makes for a more accurate comparison to leave it in.

ah thanx Adam and your explanation makes sense since I thought he didn't give up a TD in one of his years here. Each year he gets targeted less and less. I think Newman is the closet we have to a shut down corner and thats not saying much compared to Deion's numbers

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
Since they didn't track these stats at the beginning f Deion's career, we don't know what the overall picture is.

I do know this, all his hype and nicknames were self-generated. They did a special about him on HBO a few years back when he retired, talking about how he created his own hype and became a media ***** as a scare tactic against QBs.

It's a shame, because I hated the guy, even when he played for us. I think he could've been a great receiver if he hadn't been so scared of getting owies.

CB has played only half the time Deion has, and his stats are impressive. More impressive than people give him credit for.

43 INT, which is only 10 behind Deion for his career, and 5 more than Deion had at the same point. He averages an INT every 3.3 games, while Deion was every 3.6 games. He has been to as many pro bowls as Deion, and he still has plenty of years left ahead of him for more. He has deflected 123 passes to Deion's 10. 576 tackles to Deion's 492.

People forget to take into consideration that when Deion was in his prime, there was only one great receiver - Jerry Rice. CB has to go against future hall of famers nearly every game. He's had to face Randy Moss in his prime, Cris Carter, Terrell Owens, Ocho Cinco, Keyshawn Johnson. Guys that consistently lead the league in everything, even if only for a few years.

The caliber of opponent has greatly increased in other words, considerably, from what Deion faced in his glory days. WRs and QBs now are a **** ton better than Deion had to face.

alby

Reaction score
Aren't prime's numbers misleading as well, since he sat out part of the season for the MLB?

alby

Reaction score
Extreme;2306184 said:
Since they didn't track these stats at the beginning f Deion's career, we don't know what the overall picture is.

I do know this, all his hype and nicknames were self-generated. They did a special about him on HBO a few years back when he retired, talking about how he created his own hype and became a media ***** as a scare tactic against QBs.

It's a shame, because I hated the guy, even when he played for us. I think he could've been a great receiver if he hadn't been so scared of getting owies.

CB has played only half the time Deion has, and his stats are impressive. More impressive than people give him credit for.

43 INT, which is only 10 behind Deion for his career, and 5 more than Deion had at the same point. He averages an INT every 3.3 games, while Deion was every 3.6 games. He has been to as many pro bowls as Deion, and he still has plenty of years left ahead of him for more. He has deflected 123 passes to Deion's 10. 576 tackles to Deion's 492.

People forget to take into consideration that when Deion was in his prime, there was only one great receiver - Jerry Rice. CB has to go against future hall of famers nearly every game. He's had to face Randy Moss in his prime, Cris Carter, Terrell Owens, Ocho Cinco, Keyshawn Johnson. Guys that consistently lead the league in everything, even if only for a few years.

The caliber of opponent has greatly increased in other words, considerably, from what Deion faced in his glory days. WRs and QBs now are a **** ton better than Deion had to face.

Although I respect your post, I don't agree with these statements.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
alby;2306188 said:
Although I respect your post, I don't agree with these statements.
That's fine. But name me some HOF WR and QBs Deion had to face, and I guarantee you I can find 2-3 sure shots for every one you name that CB has had to face.

alby

Reaction score
Extreme;2306194 said:
That's fine. But name me some HOF WR and QBs Deion had to face, and I guarantee you I can find 2-3 sure shots for every one you name that CB has had to face.

Check out Rice's, Bruce's, Irvin's, Carter's, and Moore's numbers in 1995 alone.

Not to mention Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Tim Brown, Yancey Thigpen, Jake Reed, Tarance Manthis, Andre Rison, Irving Fryar, Carl Pickens, etc.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Best athlete to ever play football.

Incredible agility, lateral movement was so fluid. Ran like his feet never touched the ground.

Its a shame guys like Bailey, Hall, Newman (jk lol jk), Samuel, Clements, etc get paid these enormous contracts for being very average when you put them up against Prime.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Extreme;2306194 said:
That is absurd. Agree with alby...well, aside from Carl Pickens...he was just ok.

dmoore

Reaction score
Extreme;2306184 said:

I don't think today's WRs are any more impressive than they were when Deion was playing. You can't compare Champ's numbers to Deion's either. Champ's going to end up with more interceptions, but that's simply because QBs will throw at him. I can't even imagine what Deion's INT numbers would be had he actually been tested. Just remember the Deion you guys had was certainly not "Primetime" :thumbup:.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Extreme;2306184 said:

I think Brett, Troy, Dan Marino, Elway, Kelly, Moon,Young ,Montana, Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Jimmy Smith, Irvin, and Sterlin Sharp may have something to say about that...

maybe CB is getting more ints because he isnt feared as much as Deion did you think of that? and how many of those ints went to the house for 6?

Deion was at a level all to himself

dmoore

Reaction score
And thanks to everyone for answering. It's just hard to really understand exactly how great Deion was. There's no current player to judge him against. I just wasn't sure if today's game was all that much different than when Deion was in his prime.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Extreme;2306184 said:

You also have to account for the evolution of the game being a passing game.

I would argue that there's more of an effort to protect quarterbacks and receivers than it was in Deion's "era," hence you are more apt to see more pass interference calls now than you would have when Deion was at his prime.

As for your statement about going up against one great receiver, Jerry Rice, I don't see any other great receivers among the ones you listed aside from T.O.

And Deion had to go up against Cris Carter, T.O., Michael Irvin, Andre Reed, Andre Rison, John Taylor, Henry Ellard, Gary Clark, Art Monk, Sterling Sharpe, Herman Moore, etc.

I wouldn't exactly call those guys scrubs.

What's amazing about Deion is that he could have been even greater. The guy hardly practiced and never lifted weights. Imagine if he had committed to weight training and practiced as hard as Irvin did. :eek:

Jim Brown, Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson are three of the most talented, athletic players to ever grace the NFL.

JRid21

Reaction score
I have a Sports Illustrated book and there's an article of Issac Bruce talking about Deion coaching him on his form the entire game and Deion knowing exactly what he was going to do the whole game. Deion was the best no doubt about it

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2306251 said:
What's amazing about Deion is that he could have been even greater. The guy hardly practiced and never lifted weights. Imagine if he had committed to weight training and practiced as hard as Irvin did. :eek:

Jim Brown, Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson are three of the most talented, athletic players to ever grace the NFL.
Him being such a lazt bum is why I always disliked the guy. He wasn't a team player at all, and thought he was too good for practice. He was like the Allen Iverson of the NFL. Darryl Strawberry belongs in that group too.

I agree with the supreme athleticism of Deion, as well as Bo. I think Herschel Walker should be included with that too. Never worked out or conditioned a day in his life, or so they always said.

But Jim Brown? I never got all the hype about him. He had a high YPC average, but I dont' see why that makes people automatically say he's the greatest back ever. I personally think Emmitt, OJ the bus driving murderer, Barry and Sweetness were better. Granted Brown was more than just a regular running back, and he was a bruiser, but I just never understood the glory bestowed on him. He was ahead of my time, so maybe that has a lot to do with it, I don't know.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Extreme;2306184 said:

Deion had FAR more than 10 passes defended in his career. And Champ SHOULD have more tackles, considering how shockingly often he gets beaten, compared to Deion.

Your profile says you are 28. Did you not watch the NFL before your 20th birthday or something? Those last two paragraphs are completely asinine.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
dmoore;2305930 said:
I'm 22 years old, but I remember vividly the glory years of Dallas in the 90s. My Dad got me interested in football early, and I took to it like water. While I understood what I was seeing, I'm not so clear as to why things were the way they were. My football IQ wasn't what it is now. Figured maybe some of the old guys could help me out.

Deion Sanders completely shut WRs down to the point where QBs didn't even think about throwing his way. He basically shut down a whole side of the field. I've never seen a CB since him that even came close to doing what Deion did. I'd say Champ Bailey from 5-6 years ago was about the closest. In recent years, I wouldn't even classify the top CBs in the game as "shutdown" corners. You have guys like Newman who are pro-bowlers, but they don't exactly frighten QBs from throwing their way. Is the drop off between guys like Deion to what we see today mostly because of Deion being a superior talent or because of rule changes? Will there ever be a CB who's as dominant as Deion again?

Thats funny Michael Irvin tore up Deion all the time before he came to Dallas. So he did not shut everyone down and as good as he was Randy Moss chewed him up and spit out oh 9 toes his even faked an injury that day

mmohican29

Reaction score
I can't stand Deion Sanders but he is a one of a kind elite talent at his position. The only player currently that reminds me of Deion is not Champ Bailey but Antonio Cromartie of San Diego- and that's still a reach and a half.

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2306408 said:
Deion had FAR more than 10 passes defended in his career..
I said DEFLECTED. Check out pro football refernce if you don't believe it. I was actually very surprised myself.

dre1614

Reaction score
Extreme;2306435 said:
I said DEFLECTED. Check out pro football refernce if you don't believe it. I was actually very surprised myself.

If you look at the stats closely they didn't record deflections until 2001.

The great Darrell Green only has 7 if you go by pro football reference.