Question about obtaining Chad Johnson...

newlander

Reaction score
I'm usually the conservative fan that doesn't think moves like this will happen: but I have a funny feeling on this one. I think it all depends on how TO and Chad would or could get along. If they can't coexist, then JJ won't try. But IF they can.........what would we have to give up? He's a little older but still in his prime, and completely miserable in Cinci. I know you guys will howl.....but what about our first rounder? We won't be able to move up and get McFadden because the Browns screwed that up by being pretty good. Why not trade for CJ, keep the Browns #1 and get the best CB available? That would be a pretty good solution in my book. We'd have Chad and TO at WR with Witten, Fasano and Curtis at Tend. This scenario would likely lead to Crayton and JuJones not coming back because JJ still has to sign Flo, Hamlin and Reeves in the offseason. We'd have to draft another RB(we won't be able to afford Turner) and hopefully Stanback or a draftee could take Crayton's spot. Thoughts?:rolleyes:

adamknite

Reaction score
I don't want Chad Johnson. He seems to be more talk then substance lately. I hope the rumors of Arizona trying to ship Fitzgerald are true. He's young and experienced, I'd give a first rounder for him without thinking twice.

Or even the Roy Williams becoming available talk... I'd trade a first for him in a heartbeat too.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Before we give up #1 to get a WR, I'd like to see how Glenn is coming along. Glenn could be done but I have a hope that he can come back and make contributions.

CJ would be nice, but he'll be costly in terms of draft pick(s) and salary. We'll have number of FAs that we'll need to lock up once the season is over with and I'm not so sure how much we would have left under the salary cap after all said and done.

Personally, I'd rather look at drafting a good WR with one of the first round picks.

newlander

Reaction score
like I said, a big risk......but even though he's having a down year I just think he and TO could do great things together. Fitzgerald would be unbelievable.......just don't see it, Boldin is always hurt. You ever start a thread and wish you could erase it? Me either until now! Lock this if you must mods, just a bad idea the more I ponder it.:eek::

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Chad is a knuckle head that makes TO look tame he been fighting with his QB for awhile now. Which is kind of funny since Palmer has gotten him the ball is the past ever since that rumor of the blowup in the locker room in the playoffs about not getting the ball and fighting with the staff at halftime.

So they give him a big contact extension and they start the slide into a crappy team. That and half their team being arrested or suspended for substance abuse

:eek:

I look somewhere else at this point

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I would take Fitzgerald first, but Johnson might be a good option too. He has had issues this season, but I'm telling you. Losing tending to piss people off. Throwing him, TO, and Witten together would make for one nasty offense. I'm sure he would be a better teammate if the Bengals were 8-1 and had the #2 offense in the league.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
newlander;1765661 said:
like I said, a big risk......but even though he's having a down year I just think he and TO could do great things together. Fitzgerald would be unbelievable.......just don't see it, Boldin is always hurt. You ever start a thread and wish you could erase it? Me either until now! Lock this if you must mods, just a bad idea the more I ponder it.:eek::

He is on track for 1500 yards. The only thing that appears down this year is TDs, and that could change in the blink of an eye. If he scores 1 TD in each of his last six games (or any other mix of multiple TDs in a single game) he will be on par with his average of around 9 TDs a year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
newlander;1765661 said:
There have been worse ideas. Having Chad here would certainly not hurt this team imo.

DBoys

Reaction score
I think Stanback will come on strong and we will forget about getting another high priced WR.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
newlander;1765652 said:
I'm usually the conservative fan that doesn't think moves like this will happen: but I have a funny feeling on this one. I think it all depends on how TO and Chad would or could get along. If they can't coexist, then JJ won't try. But IF they can.........what would we have to give up? He's a little older but still in his prime, and completely miserable in Cinci. I know you guys will howl.....but what about our first rounder? We won't be able to move up and get McFadden because the Browns screwed that up by being pretty good. Why not trade for CJ, keep the Browns #1 and get the best CB available? That would be a pretty good solution in my book. We'd have Chad and TO at WR with Witten, Fasano and Curtis at Tend. This scenario would likely lead to Crayton and JuJones not coming back because JJ still has to sign Flo, Hamlin and Reeves in the offseason. We'd have to draft another RB(we won't be able to afford Turner) and hopefully Stanback or a draftee could take Crayton's spot. Thoughts?:rolleyes:

I think the Cowboys would prefer to have Houseofmamas than Ocho Cinco.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
DBoys;1765759 said:
I think Stanback will come on strong and we will forget about getting another high priced WR.

Watch Stanback light up the Jets on Turkey Day. Mark my word! :)

gazmc_06

Reaction score
I said this a while ago, I loved the idea. apparently the Bengals are looking to ship him (Indy being mentioned as a replacement for Harrison) but imagine T.O. and Chad on the same team - can't double both of them, whoever is left one on one will burn the defence.

the marketing possibilities are great too, can you not just imagine Cowboy Chad stuff? bobbleheads of Chad wearing his cowboy hat (hence the other reason for Cowboy Chad) etc....it's a marketing dream as well as an on field addition, a very, very big addition.

sacase

Reaction score
Chad and TO would present HUGE problems for defenses, especialy if you factor in Witten. The running game would be VERY open. But sadly we would lead the league in fines and excesive celabrations penatlies.

gazmc_06

Reaction score
^I would have no problems with that, sure there would be fines and some penalties but the rewards would be far greater IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it looks great on paper but I don't see 2 similar WR who expect to be the focal point in the passing to be a match made in heaven. Finding a WR who can compliment TO and is willing to be the #2 WR would be great but Chad is not that guy

gazmc_06

Reaction score
^he's basically that second guy for the Bengals, he just doesn't know it lol.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
gazmc_06;1765850 said:
^he's basically that second guy for the Bengals, he just doesn't know it lol.

I would rather have Houshmandzadeh over Chad. The guy goes about his business without expecting to be the center point of the passing game. Frankly I expect my #1 WR to be the focal point just as TO expects it or Irvin when he was here. I just don't think you could take 2 guys like this and have the chemistry.