Question for all the board fans/gurus

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Now that the draft has come to a conclusion, what do you think that our most glaring need is? It can be personnel. But if you want to make a coaching analogy or assess a need there, too, that would be intersting.

Why do you think it is the most glaring need?

And the whole trick to this is that you have to provide an UPSIDE or make a positive point in regards to the current personnel we have as prospects, and so forth, at the position of need.

In other words, state what you don't like. But also provide an objective thought that may give you a sense of optimism (if you're able to do that).

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
OK, I'll start. I think we have a glaring need at back up cornerback. Sure, Glenn will suffice. But if we move Henry to FS, then we're not deep there at all.

The pressure is on the FS to step up. The upside here is I think Watkins has the ability to come on and flourish. Hamlin can also hold down the fort, which would allow Henry to continue playing corner. But I honestly think that he has lost a step at corner, and it may be time for us to move on. He's great in run support, which is why the consensus is that he'd make a good free safety.

I think the glaring need is the secondary, and the depth within it. But the good thing is, we've got several options to look at. And chances are, something will work.

Thoughts?

Anyone?

Preguntas? Commentarios?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I think the biggest needs are for depth at NT and WR. Our starters are in their 30s and we don't have any established players behind them. I was really hoping we would pick a WR in the 1st or 2nd round but we didn't.

Behind Ferguson we have Montavious Stanley and Remi Ayodele but neither has done anything yet. If Ferguson went out for an extended period of time we would be screwed. Ratliff has rotated with him from time to time, mostly in passing situations, but I wouldn't count on him as a full-time starter. We would be forced to make some serious adjustments to our defense if Ferguson gets hurt.

Behind Glenn & Owens we have Crayton, who is a good player but will never be a #1 WR, Hurd & Austin, who are good athletes but we don't know whether or not they can actually catch the ball in a real game, and a bunch of scrubs. Stanback is a project player who could turn into a "slash" type of player but isn't likely to be a full-time starter. If either Glenn or Owens goes down then Crayton can step in and play well but we need a big-play guy somewhere and I don't see on on the roster currently.

I am not concerned about FS as our biggest problem there the last several years has been more the lack of a passrush than anything else. Hamlin and Watkins should provide adequate play at the position so I'm not worried about it. Henry isn't moving to FS so you don't have to be concerned about CB just yet although I do see us addressing it within the next year or two as Henry will be 31 this year.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;1483116 said:
I think the biggest needs are for depth at NT and WR. Our starters are in their 30s and we don't have any established players behind them. I was really hoping we would pick a WR in the 1st or 2nd round but we didn't.

Behind Ferguson we have Montavious Stanley and Remi Ayodele but neither has done anything yet. If Ferguson went out for an extended period of time we would be screwed. Ratliff has rotated with him from time to time, mostly in passing situations, but I wouldn't count on him as a full-time starter. We would be forced to make some serious adjustments to our defense if Ferguson gets hurt.

Behind Glenn & Owens we have Crayton, who is a good player but will never be a #1 WR, Hurd & Austin, who are good athletes but we don't know whether or not they can actually catch the ball in a real game, and a bunch of scrubs. Stanback is a project player who could turn into a "slash" type of player but isn't likely to be a full-time starter. If either Glenn or Owens goes down then Crayton can step in and play well but we need a big-play guy somewhere and I don't see on on the roster currently.

I am not concerned about FS as our biggest problem there the last several years has been more the lack of a passrush than anything else. Hamlin and Watkins should provide adequate play at the position so I'm not worried about it. Henry isn't moving to FS so you don't have to be concerned about CB just yet although I do see us addressing it within the next year or two as Henry will be 31 this year.

I'm not so sure that Henry isn't moving to free safety. He's the closest thing we can do to replace Darren Woodson, who we've missed so sorely.

I thinks it's possible, if not probable.

We'll see what happens with trades and so forth.

I think Brady James might be the new Dexter Coakley-like trade bait. lol

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday;1483119 said:
I'm not so sure that Henry isn't moving to free safety. He's the closest thing we can do to replace Darren Woodson, who we've missed so sorely.

I thinks it's possible, if not probable.

We'll see what happens with trades and so forth.

I think Brady James might be the new Dexter Coakley-like trade bait. lol

I am very sure that he isn't moving to FS this year. We paid Hamlin a good chunk of change to come in and play FS for us. We also don't have a replacement for Henry at CB.

Hamlin and Watkins will do fine at FS and Henry won't have to cover guys forever while their QB has all day to wait for them to get open. Wade Phillips knows how to run the 3-4 so that we can actually get after the QB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It almost seems strange not needing another pass-rusher. The line is solidified -- we've even got 3 potential LTs waiting in the wings, several of which could switch to guard. I would say CB would be the easiest position to upgrade at the moment, but I think in '08 receiver will be the biggest need.

lspain1

Reaction score
theogt;1483124 said:
It almost seems strange not needing another pass-rusher. The line is solidified -- we've even got 3 potential LTs waiting in the wings, several of which could switch to guard. I would say CB would be the easiest position to upgrade at the moment, but I think in '08 receiver will be the biggest need.

I'm with theo here. I think CB and WR are the positions where impact players will be needed next year. I would add NT to the list but that's pretty much it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
In my opinion, our glaring needs are about the future, not about this year. When injuries happen to key players, every team suffers. We can't afford an injury to a starting WR or CB; however, if everyone is healthy, I don't think we have any glaring needs for 2007. That's also not saying we don't have areas that need improving, just that they aren't glaring weaknesses.

I'd say our only glaring needs for 2007, our biggest questionmarks right now going into this season, are on the coaching staff:

Will Wade Phillips be able to take our defensive personel to the next level? Can he create a more attacking defense without giving up too many big plays that cost us games? More importantly, as head coach, when things go bad for a streak of 2-3 losses, can he hold the team together and keep everyone on the bus?

Most importantly, IS Jason Garrett really ready to take on his first job as offensive coordinator? CAn he put together successful gameplans that put his personel in position to be successful? Can he get the most out of JJ and TO and ROMO? How will he handle a bad streak when the offense doesn't move and loses us a game or two and guys like TO start blaming the gameplan or system?

Don't get me wrong...I'm solidly in the corner of both of these coaches, and I'm very happy with the hires, but only a blind homer would say these aren't legit questions about Wade and Jason...we all hope and believe they'll be fine, but at this point, I think there are bigger questions about them than there are about our personel. Time will tell.

ENGCowboy

Reaction score
wayne motley;1483207 said:
In my opinion, our glaring needs are about the future, not about this year. When injuries happen to key players, every team suffers. We can't afford an injury to a starting WR or CB; however, if everyone is healthy, I don't think we have any glaring needs for 2007. That's also not saying we don't have areas that need improving, just that they aren't glaring weaknesses.

I'd say our only glaring needs for 2007, our biggest questionmarks right now going into this season, are on the coaching staff:

Will Wade Phillips be able to take our defensive personel to the next level? Can he create a more attacking defense without giving up too many big plays that cost us games? More importantly, as head coach, when things go bad for a streak of 2-3 losses, can he hold the team together and keep everyone on the bus?

Most importantly, IS Jason Garrett really ready to take on his first job as offensive coordinator? CAn he put together successful gameplans that put his personel in position to be successful? Can he get the most out of JJ and TO and ROMO? How will he handle a bad streak when the offense doesn't move and loses us a game or two and guys like TO start blaming the gameplan or system?

Don't get me wrong...I'm solidly in the corner of both of these coaches, and I'm very happy with the hires, but only a blind homer would say these aren't legit questions about Wade and Jason...we all hope and believe they'll be fine, but at this point, I think there are bigger questions about them than there are about our personel. Time will tell.

Very good points with all the draft and offseason speculation its easy to forget thast we have a totally new system with new coordinators on both sides of the ball and an unproven one on Offense aswell.

Im really pulling for Stanley to become the player we thought he could be when he was drafted last year because a long-term injury to Fergie scares me a lot.

CB will be ok, Henry wont move to FS and I think so long as we get the pass rush we are all expecting this season it wont be a problem having watched a lot of Hamlin highlights recently Im actually quite excited about our back 4.

WR isn't a need until next year which gives all the youngsters time to develop and prove wether or not they can be effective players in this league. Cant wait.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Glaring needs? Backup NT and backup center. Beyond that, we pretty much have everything else. I see people say CB, but we have Henry, Newman, Reeves, Jones, Glenn, and even drafted Brown who could be serviceable. The only thing I see otherwise that could be considered glaring would be a third string QB.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday;1483077 said:
Now that the draft has come to a conclusion, what do you think that our most glaring need is? It can be personnel. But if you want to make a coaching analogy or assess a need there, too, that would be intersting.

And the whole trick to this is that you have to provide an UPSIDE or make a positive point in regards to the current personnel we have as prospects, and so forth, at the position of need.

In other words, state what you don't like. But also provide an objective thought that may give you a sense of optimism (if you're able to do that).

The most glaring need is for a veteran or blue-chip WR. Both of our principal receivers are in their 50s, I think, and happens forbid if they drop a mirror on their toes or bust a bad move in a disco, who would replace them? Huh? I don't think crayton, Hurd, Miles is ready for prime time eminence.
On the positive side in 30 years or so ever one here will be worm food and no one will remember our glaring need about WR.

If I may, another glaring need is a capable replacement for Ferguson. He looks old and fat. And he is coming off an injury.
On a more positive side if Spencer and Canty live up to their promise, then Ferguson can take it easy and spend lots of time at Mr. Gattis eating all the pizzas and we won't miss him.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
:confused: Why do people keep saying our WR need is glaring. It's not glaring if you have to VERY good WR's. Glaring would be if we had two 4th round rookies starting at WR. Our starting WRs are in their 30s, but they are one of the best 1-2 WR tandems in the league. Follow that with Crayton, Miles, and Hurd. We are in good shape this season. We only need to look to the future which the future has no baring on this season and therefore not a glaring need.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
AnyGivenSunday;1483112 said:
OK, I'll start. I think we have a glaring need at back up cornerback. Sure, Glenn will suffice. But if we move Henry to FS, then we're not deep there at all.

The pressure is on the FS to step up. The upside here is I think Watkins has the ability to come on and flourish. Hamlin can also hold down the fort, which would allow Henry to continue playing corner. But I honestly think that he has lost a step at corner, and it may be time for us to move on. He's great in run support, which is why the consensus is that he'd make a good free safety.

I think the glaring need is the secondary, and the depth within it. But the good thing is, we've got several options to look at. And chances are, something will work.

Thoughts?

Anyone?

Preguntas? Commentarios?

Henry was playing with a sore knee last year, he hasn't lost a step. Also we just drafted Courtney Brown who can potentially replace Henry in 2-3 years or sooner if he God forbid goes down.

I don't believe safety is such a concern anymore now that Phillips will magically improve our pass rush, all he has to down is wave his wand.

Hamlin's presence will be what Watkins needs to step up and "get with it." Nothing like competiton to light a fire under your tookus...;)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NT
Then it's wait and see time for CB depth, FS, WR's & OL for future.
Not to mention, can Romo do it for 16+ games.
Also keep an eye on the K situation.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score

First, the biggest glaring need I see for the cowboys is backup NT, I know that Wade Phillips says that he likes smaller NTs, but if you look at history, dominant NTs have had big huge NTs. Bears in their heyday, Patriots now, and yes, even the chargers, whom do they have big huge Jamaal Williams whom is 6-3 1/2 and about 344, now is that a slim small NT like Philllips says he wants. If you remember, Buffalo in their prime of the 3-4 had a smaller NT, and what did the cowboys big huge offensive line do, run all over them and throw. Big NT in 3-4 is way to go.

next like a someone posted, next is our WR position, we have 2 old wrs in glenn and TO, crayton is just a 3rd down receiver, he doesnt have speed to be a # 2 or # 1 receiver. Scanback is very fast, if and thats a big word, IF he can recover from a serious foot injury, but the speed is there, and then he is going to miss all of the offseason work, thats a lot to ask for a rookie guy that hasnt played alot of Wr, he did play his sophomore year, and i remember watching him tear usc up, but again, he has to relearn wr position, just hoping though he can help us on punt returns. It scares me to see Newman returning punts, your star cb.

Our offensive line will be this time next year a big plus. Doug Free called the Freak due to his speed in the 40, 5.09 for a guy that is 6-6, 315 or so, and you got to remember, reason why he fell he had a foot fracture his senior year, was wearing a boot to walk in during the week, then he would play the game, you and i know, you cant plant that foot real good if its fractured. So, we got a steal in him, its true he has got to get stronger in the upper body, but he is pretty strong in his legs. Next, Marten will take over for Colombo if he doesnt stay in 2 years, if you look at offensive linemen, there are 12 offensive linemen from Boston College that are playing in the NFL, they just turn out pro style offensive linemen. Then, you have McQuistan whom I think will beat out Kosier at LOG. Then, you have big Leonard Davis at ROG and Colombo at RT, with Gurode coming on at Center. So, our offensive line is set for the next 5-7 years.

Now to the questionable defensive backfield. I think Henry is losing just a step or half a step, but how do you stop or help that, with a pass rush, with getting Spencer, so teams cant double up on Ware all the time, we will have a better pass rush. Will it be super this year, no, I think it will take 8 games or so for defense to come on, Wade Phillips said it takes about a year for team to come on his new defense. We have played versions of it at times last year and year before when we went after Manning in the colts game for example, so I am thinking if offense can keep us in the games till about 8th or 10 game, then the defense will really come on. What could help our defense is if we go out and sign Randall Godfrey, whom was cut by San Diego, is he a 3 down player no, but he can help our young players till they learn the fine points of wade phillips defense, kinda like when parcells brought in richie anderson, keyshawn, and a OT from the Jets, cant remember his name right now, but he played pretty good first 7 games or so till he got hurt.

I think like one person reported that we have fixed our cornerback problem with the signing of Courtney Brown. Do you guys remember Sehorn, cornerback for the Giants? He was a cornerback from arizona i think found in the 6th or 7th round, that was about 6-1, 205 with 4.35 in 40 and he did pretty good. This Brown guy is 6-1 206 or so, with 4.32 to 4.37 in 40, avg about 4.34 in 40 with a 41 1/2 inch vertical leap. He needs to get just a little stronger in bench press, 17 reps i think, but no team threw a touchdown on him the last 2 years, and he had 7 interceptions his junior year. He just needs experience, and help from Newman.

Watkins will be our starting free safety after he learns from Hamlin about more coverage and directing defensive backfield, and if Hamlin shows something then we can resign him, but better option is Watkins, with his 44 inch vertical leap i think he has and his 4.48 in 40, not real deep speed, but most free safeties arent super fast. Also, if you think about it, at times, Roy and Hamlin can alternate or switch safety spots, so you dont know which safety is coming on blitzes, hamlin is just a good hitter at roy, or pretty close in other words. I have heard reports which surprised me, but the Cowboys maybe thinking about if they can beef up Hall, so he can play safety, he is more a director in the backfield where he played college.

I think we will if we can get McFadden at running back with our # 1 pick next year, and with our 2nd # 1 get a impact young WR, then we will have 2 impact young players. Norm was on the ticket and he was saying he thinks the browns are still a top 5 team to pick in the 1st round next year, which norm thinks they will play brady quinn at QB, and most QBs have a hard time at QB their first year, look at Leinhart, he had a rough time his first 9 games or so. So, with a top 5 pick we can trade up if need be and get McFadden.

Fnally, if Jason Garrett doesnt get too cute and change a whole lot on offense, we were top in scoring last year, believe it or not, so why change too much, slowly change it, so your players can slowly digest it, and just play on the field, not think, then play. That will be a key too. But, Jason Garett did learn from 2 of the best, Norv Turner and the guy that was offensive coordnator for the Dolphins, cant think of his name. Change up some, so teams dont know what your doing, and surprise them, then save some more for later in the year, for big surprises.

Other thing that will help, i have heard that Parcells would beat the team up have them play more physical during the week of regular season, and have them play if hurt, no matter what, but Wade Phillips doesnt do that, the guys will be fresher and eager to play. Thats the biggest thing I heard, that the players are excited about, they will be allowed to attack and attack on defense and offense, whereas parcells liked to play a close game by the vest.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
wayne motley;1483207 said:

Good post, and I agree somewhat with the others because I see the logic in thinkin WR and DT. But I think CB is the most crucial.

I think a QB like Romo, who can distribute the ball, can work with the back up guys that we have in Crayton, Austin and Hurd. But I see your points.

About people who posted NT, I'm with you there. I just don't think it's as glaring need as CB depth. But a need none-the-less

Nice responses guys!