Question for all the board fans/gurus

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1483664 said:
Henry was playing with a sore knee last year, he hasn't lost a step. Also we just drafted Courtney Brown who can potentially replace Henry in 2-3 years or sooner if he God forbid goes down.

I don't believe safety is such a concern anymore now that Phillips will magically improve our pass rush, all he has to down is wave his wand.

Hamlin's presence will be what Watkins needs to step up and "get with it." Nothing like competiton to light a fire under your tookus...;)

OK, fair enough. The more I think about it, the more Henry probably won't play FS. But I won't be surprised to see him in there on certain situations.

We'll see how it plays out. I think that's going to be the most interesting position to watch this year.

JBS

Reaction score
Great Thread! Should provide for some knowledgable football discussion.

In my opinion the biggest glaring need remains at free safety. I am well aware of the acquisition of Ken Hamlin, however, from everything that I have read is that Ken Hamlin is a hard hitter and not a coverage safety. Now I will be completely honest and admit I have not followed hamlin too closely since he has been in the league. My worry at the free safety position is that the 2007 cowboys MAY have the same problems the 2006 skins had with taylor and archuleta. This is my biggest concern of the 2007 season, the possibility that we may still not be able to stop the deep ball ala 2006.

What is there to be optimistic about? Plenty! First and foremost by doing my research on ken hamlin, I noticed that PRIOR to his head injury he was amongst the top coverage safeties in the league according to KC Joyner. So there is 1 potential fix. 2) Pat Watkins is still on the roster! From all accounts last year, Pat Watkins really turned it on during the 2nd half stint as a starter at FS. Being that he was just a rookie, I believe it is more than possible that his game will improve. Finally, and probably most importantly there is wade Phillips and his new and improved defensive scheme for the Dallas Cowboys. With the addition of SPencer and the attack style defense that wade will implement should result in our defense getting to the QB much quicker and much more often. At the end of the day this is why our safety play WILL improve whether or not the players at the position improve or not. Therefore, if we can get great play from either watkins or hamlin at the FS position there should be numerous opportunities for each of them along with our CBs to come up with plenty of INTs. Of course that is, if and when the QB is able to get rid of the ball and not get sacked!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Free safety for me. Any team can be in trouble in case of injury, but even with all our starters intact, that's a spot where I think we could be weak. I liked the Hamlin signing a lot, but a fast young cover FS wouldn't been great.

Other than that, a backup NT and maybe a G, although McQ can probably play there.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1483714 said:
Now that the draft has come to a conclusion, what do you think that our most glaring need is? It can be personnel. But if you want to make a coaching analogy or assess a need there, too, that would be intersting.

Why do you think it is the most glaring need?

And the whole trick to this is that you have to provide an UPSIDE or make a positive point in regards to the current personnel we have as prospects, and so forth, at the position of need.

In other words, state what you don't like. But also provide an objective thought that may give you a sense of optimism (if you're able to do that).

First, the biggest glaring need I see for the cowboys is backup NT, I know that Wade Phillips says that he likes smaller NTs, but if you look at history, dominant NTs have had big huge NTs. Bears in their heyday, Patriots now, and yes, even the chargers, whom do they have big huge Jamaal Williams whom is 6-3 1/2 and about 344, now is that a slim small NT like Philllips says he wants. If you remember, Buffalo in their prime of the 3-4 had a smaller NT, and what did the cowboys big huge offensive line do, run all over them and throw. Big NT in 3-4 is way to go.

next like a someone posted, next is our WR position, we have 2 old wrs in glenn and TO, crayton is just a 3rd down receiver, he doesnt have speed to be a # 2 or # 1 receiver. Scanback is very fast, if and thats a big word, IF he can recover from a serious foot injury, but the speed is there, and then he is going to miss all of the offseason work, thats a lot to ask for a rookie guy that hasnt played alot of Wr, he did play his sophomore year, and i remember watching him tear usc up, but again, he has to relearn wr position, just hoping though he can help us on punt returns. It scares me to see Newman returning punts, your star cb.

Our offensive line will be this time next year a big plus. Doug Free called the Freak due to his speed in the 40, 5.09 for a guy that is 6-6, 315 or so, and you got to remember, reason why he fell he had a foot fracture his senior year, was wearing a boot to walk in during the week, then he would play the game, you and i know, you cant plant that foot real good if its fractured. So, we got a steal in him, its true he has got to get stronger in the upper body, but he is pretty strong in his legs. Next, Marten will take over for Colombo if he doesnt stay in 2 years, if you look at offensive linemen, there are 12 offensive linemen from Boston College that are playing in the NFL, they just turn out pro style offensive linemen. Then, you have McQuistan whom I think will beat out Kosier at LOG. Then, you have big Leonard Davis at ROG and Colombo at RT, with Gurode coming on at Center. So, our offensive line is set for the next 5-7 years.

Now to the questionable defensive backfield. I think Henry is losing just a step or half a step, but how do you stop or help that, with a pass rush, with getting Spencer, so teams cant double up on Ware all the time, we will have a better pass rush. Will it be super this year, no, I think it will take 8 games or so for defense to come on, Wade Phillips said it takes about a year for team to come on his new defense. We have played versions of it at times last year and year before when we went after Manning in the colts game for example, so I am thinking if offense can keep us in the games till about 8th or 10 game, then the defense will really come on. What could help our defense is if we go out and sign Randall Godfrey, whom was cut by San Diego, is he a 3 down player no, but he can help our young players till they learn the fine points of wade phillips defense, kinda like when parcells brought in richie anderson, keyshawn, and a OT from the Jets, cant remember his name right now, but he played pretty good first 7 games or so till he got hurt.

I think like one person reported that we have fixed our cornerback problem with the signing of Courtney Brown. Do you guys remember Sehorn, cornerback for the Giants? He was a cornerback from arizona i think found in the 6th or 7th round, that was about 6-1, 205 with 4.35 in 40 and he did pretty good. This Brown guy is 6-1 206 or so, with 4.32 to 4.37 in 40, avg about 4.34 in 40 with a 41 1/2 inch vertical leap. He needs to get just a little stronger in bench press, 17 reps i think, but no team threw a touchdown on him the last 2 years, and he had 7 interceptions his junior year. He just needs experience, and help from Newman.

Watkins will be our starting free safety after he learns from Hamlin about more coverage and directing defensive backfield, and if Hamlin shows something then we can resign him, but better option is Watkins, with his 44 inch vertical leap i think he has and his 4.48 in 40, not real deep speed, but most free safeties arent super fast. Also, if you think about it, at times, Roy and Hamlin can alternate or switch safety spots, so you dont know which safety is coming on blitzes, hamlin is just a good hitter at roy, or pretty close in other words. I have heard reports which surprised me, but the Cowboys maybe thinking about if they can beef up Hall, so he can play safety, he is more a director in the backfield where he played college.

I think we will if we can get McFadden at running back with our # 1 pick next year, and with our 2nd # 1 get a impact young WR, then we will have 2 impact young players. Norm was on the ticket and he was saying he thinks the browns are still a top 5 team to pick in the 1st round next year, which norm thinks they will play brady quinn at QB, and most QBs have a hard time at QB their first year, look at Leinhart, he had a rough time his first 9 games or so. So, with a top 5 pick we can trade up if need be and get McFadden.

Fnally, if Jason Garrett doesnt get too cute and change a whole lot on offense, we were top in scoring last year, believe it or not, so why change too much, slowly change it, so your players can slowly digest it, and just play on the field, not think, then play. That will be a key too. But, Jason Garett did learn from 2 of the best, Norv Turner and the guy that was offensive coordnator for the Dolphins, cant think of his name. Change up some, so teams dont know what your doing, and surprise them, then save some more for later in the year, for big surprises.

Other thing that will help, i have heard that Parcells would beat the team up have them play more physical during the week of regular season, and have them play if hurt, no matter what, but Wade Phillips doesnt do that, the guys will be fresher and eager to play. Thats the biggest thing I heard, that the players are excited about, they will be allowed to attack and attack on defense and offense, whereas parcells liked to play a close game by the vest.

Good analysis. Way to make some points and create discussion. This is why I come here!

burmafrd

Reaction score
NT. Wade Phillips, even though in three of his jobs he had large NTs, seems to want smaller quicker guys- 300-310. Now I would think with the success he has had - MOSTLY with bigger NTs- that he would go with what has worked so well. Problem with smaller NTs is that you need to rotate them since they wear down. Now of course so do big guys, but THEY also wear down the O linemen as well. Its a fallacy to think that O lines cannot get worn down- it can happen. Now a well conditioned LARGE NT does not rely on quickness so much so that when he is tired the fall off is not so much as a NT that relies on his quickness as his primary feature.

Reaction score
nyc;1483545 said:
Glaring needs? Backup NT and backup center. Beyond that, we pretty much have everything else. I see people say CB, but we have Henry, Newman, Reeves, Jones, Glenn, and even drafted Brown who could be serviceable. The only thing I see otherwise that could be considered glaring would be a third string QB.

I was reading the article posted about Ireland and he was explaining the 1 gap and 2 gap techniques in relationship to our NT. He said that we have plenty of backup NT based on the aggressive attack scheme that we will be implementing. He mentioned Ratliff, Bowen, and Stanley. Also we have Remi Ayodele in NFL Europe. So based on his explanation I no longer see this as a need.

Also, I feel very strongly about the FS position. Again I don't see this as a need. I think Watkins will learn the skills of QBing a defense from Hamlin, which I understand is one of his strongest intangible. I the new attack defense should help the secondary tremendously.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We do not have any glaring needs on the roster. IMO, a "glaring need" = a position occupied by bad-to-average players. I would argue that is no longer the case on this team.

However, we do continue to have needs (or improved depth) on the team. When a position has a need, you want to fill it with two or more good-to great players as dictated by the particular position. Need can also be influenced by various factors such as the age of your current starters, previous game experience or lack there of, injury histories, dependence on players who are not prototypical of the position, etc.

For me, wide receiver (age) and nose tackle (prototypical depth) are the only need positions on the roster. We addressed wide receiver in the depth and I'm eager to see what Stanback brings to the table. While Bowen and Ratliff can provide depth at nose tackle, prototypical depth currently hangs on how well Remi Akoyele and Stanley perform this season. IMO, they're unproven players at this point. We can survive at nose by slotting defensive ends like Bowen and Ratliff behind Ferguson, but I would prefer that necessity wouldn't dictate them doing so. JMO.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast;1486278 said:
We do not have any glaring needs on the roster. IMO, a "glaring need" = a position occupied by bad-to-average players. I would argue that is no longer the case on this team.

You really think Henry is that good?

How about A Glenn? He's good?

2006 34 Sacks Passing Defense 24th 219.0 YPG
2005 37 Sacks Passing Defense 11th 192.7 YPG
2004 33 Sacks Passing Defense 21st 220.1 YPG
2003 32 Sacks Passing Defense 1st 164.4 YPG
2002 24 Sacks Passing Defense 19th 215.6 YPG

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don't like the LT spot at all. I'm not big on Flozell, and I think that spot needs to be upgraded as soon as possible.

I also think that NT is a concern. I like Ferguson, but someone really does need to address this position, if Ferguson goes down, this 3-4 will follow.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Next year I think that the Cowboys will want to go this direction with their first 3 picks.

#1 RB
#1 WR
#2 CB

If the young guys develop at WR, its possible that pick isn't needed and CB moves up a slot.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
wayne motley;1483207 said:
In my opinion, our glaring needs are about the future, not about this year. When injuries happen to key players, every team suffers. We can't afford an injury to a starting WR or CB; however, if everyone is healthy, I don't think we have any glaring needs for 2007. That's also not saying we don't have areas that need improving, just that they aren't glaring weaknesses.

I'd say our only glaring needs for 2007, our biggest questionmarks right now going into this season, are on the coaching staff:

Will Wade Phillips be able to take our defensive personel to the next level? Can he create a more attacking defense without giving up too many big plays that cost us games? More importantly, as head coach, when things go bad for a streak of 2-3 losses, can he hold the team together and keep everyone on the bus?

Most importantly, IS Jason Garrett really ready to take on his first job as offensive coordinator? CAn he put together successful gameplans that put his personel in position to be successful? Can he get the most out of JJ and TO and ROMO? How will he handle a bad streak when the offense doesn't move and loses us a game or two and guys like TO start blaming the gameplan or system?

Don't get me wrong...I'm solidly in the corner of both of these coaches, and I'm very happy with the hires, but only a blind homer would say these aren't legit questions about Wade and Jason...we all hope and believe they'll be fine, but at this point, I think there are bigger questions about them than there are about our personel. Time will tell.

Good points and I will say this. I like the idea/thought that Wade will let his D-line use a 1 Gap system vs. a 2 Gap system. this should really allow Spears to use his talents better and Hopefully Hatcher/Canty. I hope he will get alot out of Spencer/Ware/Ellis as far as pressure is concerned.

On Offense I think I read were Garrett said he will stick to much of the offense in place for now. I also have high hopes that he will use a fullback more and that will get more production from JJ. I hope he will run enough and consistent enough to allow our RB's to get into a groove something "I" think was lacking last year. I would also like to see him put T.O. in the slot more so he can get those yards after catches. Just my .02 cents.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Va_BoysFan4 Life;1486217 said:
I was reading the article posted about Ireland and he was explaining the 1 gap and 2 gap techniques in relationship to our NT. He said that we have plenty of backup NT based on the aggressive attack scheme that we will be implementing. He mentioned Ratliff, Bowen, and Stanley. Also we have Remi Ayodele in NFL Europe. So based on his explanation I no longer see this as a need.

Also, I feel very strongly about the FS position. Again I don't see this as a need. I think Watkins will learn the skills of QBing a defense from Hamlin, which I understand is one of his strongest intangible. I the new attack defense should help the secondary tremendously.

I think this is wrong. Everything is based on Ferguson still being quick enough to shoot the gap and, at the same time, be strong enough to hold postion. Ferguson was that player at one time but I don't know if he still is. He was actually a much better 43 DT IMO because he could do both. We are now 3 seasons removed from that time. If he can still do that, we can probably be OK. If he can't, then I think we are screwed. In a 34, you can't shoot the gap at NT on every snap. In fact, it's really not a real great idea to do it even half the time. If you have a guy who is quick enough to create penatration with a 1 gap technique yet still big and strong enough to play a 2 gap technique, then you can use this to your advantage in a 34 by mixing it up. It creates real issues for the OL in there blocking scheme. However, if the NT you are using is undersized and can not hold position, a good Center/Guard combination will kill a NT in a 34. If the NT is defeated, then the 34 is beaten. I think that the idea that a smaller, less stout, quicker NT can be succesful in a 34 just by shoot the gap in a 1 technique scheme is incorrect. You have to be able to anchore or you may as well forget about it in a 34.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
eduncan22;1486312 said:
You really think Henry is that good?

How about A Glenn? He's good?

2006 34 Sacks Passing Defense 24th 219.0 YPG
2005 37 Sacks Passing Defense 11th 192.7 YPG
2004 33 Sacks Passing Defense 21st 220.1 YPG
2003 32 Sacks Passing Defense 1st 164.4 YPG
2002 24 Sacks Passing Defense 19th 215.6 YPG
Eduncan, have you clicked on the link in my sig because your question is old.