Question For old timers and 90s Cowboy fans

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bryant is not in the same category as either Pearson or Irvin. Those boys lived and played in a far different NFL. Bryant, and most modern players, have made so much money they don't need to prove anything. Drew, especially, had to work hard and perform and Mike also or they wouldn't be around so long. Too me, Bryant could be an Irvin but is content to play on his natural ability and not push harder to be the best. Players like Irvin or Rice trained and practiced to be known as the best in the NFL and seldom if ever took games off. I have never seen this quality in Dez.

Great post.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Dez isn't even on the same planet as Irvin. They had to change the rules to compensate for the way Irvin played; he was a physical and precise route runner and one of the hardest working guys on the team. We see QB's trying to force the ball to Dez, whereas Troy didn't have to force the ball to Irvin who was always where he was supposed to be. Irvin also routinely beat double coverage whereas Dez can't seem to beat single coverage. It's maddening that our #1 WR can be so easily taken out of games. If Irvin played in today's NFL where a WR can't be breathed on without a flag, he'd put up incredible stats, as would Aikman. Lastly, Irvin could block in the running game. The guy didn't take plays off.

I think the reason a lot of fans can be overly critical of Dez is because they've seen a HOF receiver play the position. I don't even think Dez could play on those 90's teams because Troy wouldn't throw you the ball if he didn't trust you to be where you were supposed to be.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
It's like comparing Romo to Aikman. The Stats might be better but the player is not. By the way Dez is my favorite player on the team.. I go back to the Tony Hill, Golden Richards, Preston Pearson days.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Seen on here and heard on radio stations along with the Break and Talkin Cowboys people have been all over Dez. Here is my question has Dez lived up too the jersey number he wears 88. 88 means something to us Boys fans just like 33 12 22 8 and 82 will one day . As a boys fan from birth my 88 will always be Irvin has Dez lived up too the 88 club

Not even close. Irvin never disappeared for entire games. He would get doubled and Aikman would throw to other guys but Irvin would always make a big play at some point. He never had a game like Dez just did against the Giants and Dez does it quite often for a supposedly elite WR. Dez has had games and stretches where he appeared to be in the same class but he has fallen way below elite at this point. They need to start looking for his replacement to relieve themselves of that contract he never lived up to.

FiveTime

Reaction score
Watch some of this. Granted, highlights always look good but that combination of Aikman to Irvin was great. It brings back some good memories.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Irvin's antics on the sideline were NEVER about him, i don't know if Dez's ever were but one thing Mike never was is a distraction. Consumate team player that worked harder than anyone on he team, the first to push themselves so hard they'd throw up and go right back out. Don't have to like him but when he went off on the sidelines it was in the same vein as Aikman unless you're saying it's ok for one and not the other.
Agree 100% about Irvin, i just think Dez is a lot like Irvin and people treat gim differently.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Watch some of this. Granted, highlights always look good but that combination of Aikman to Irvin was great. It brings back some good memories.

Sick dude! So many wonderful moments with him, Troy, Emmitt, & Jay propelling that offense back in the day.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

Another thing of beauty from back in the day...Troy's precision on the deep ball. Just incredible.

FiveTime

Reaction score
Sick dude! So many wonderful moments with him, Troy, Emmitt, & Jay propelling that offense back in the day.

I had kinda forgot how impressive they were. Aikman looked really quick in his drop and release. Irvin (probly tied w/ Woodson for my all time favorite player) was quicker and more agile than I remembered.

slomoxn

Reaction score

Watching this there are several things about Troy and Irvin that Tony and Dez don't have, Troy could make a not perfect throw and Irvin having worked his game to perfection could bail Troy out with tip drills to himself. A lot of this throws were timing plays, Troy threw to a spot and expected Irvin to be there, and most important, not only would Irvin be there to make the catch but Troy could fit tight windows and place the ball where only Irvin could make the play. Tony is usually an int waiting to happen when he does that and Dakota hasn't even attempted to as of yet. Love them both but neither Romo/Dez, or Dakota/Dez are Aikman to Irvin, that was poetry. Good thing is Dakota can learn, I still think Romo could do it though, would love to see a scenario where he could take this team into the SB, I like Dak but have no doubt or fear that Romo coming in now would portend good things. Either way I'm good.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Anyone putting Dez above Irvin simply must be too young to have watched The Playmaker.
He was amazing.

I like Dez. He had an amazing 2014. His talent can pull him ahead of Pearson. However, Drew
had many, many huge plays. He truly was Clutch and it's a travesty that he's not in the HOF.

There were a few mentions of Tony Hill. He was a favorite of mine as a kid.
Also, regarding TD stats, I would wager that Irvin probably has the most catches downed at
the one-yard line. lol

This is a good thread... bringing back memories from several decades, not just the 90s.
Kudos to the OP.

pansophy

Reaction score
I love Mike. But Dez just tied his TD record in about 5 3/4 seasons.
It's a different era. Romo holds all the passing records as well. Dez is the most physically gifted of them and has the passion to win.

To be in this conversation he needs to improve his route running and hold on to the ball in key moments, which he has dropped on a few occasions. It would help if he could stay on the field, though that's not really something to blame him for aside from him getting hurt when trying to do too much.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
So far Dez is in the Hall of very good...

He has a ways to go before he can be included with HOF Michael Irvin and Cowboys Legend Drew Pearson. JMO.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Irvin was an consistent 7-8 catch 80-100 yard guy game in and game out. The TD argument is overrated in todays game. The worst QBs in the league would throw for 25+tds in a year and back then 25+ was a top 5 QB.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
He arguably hasn't lived up to #1 receiver levels the last two seasons, let alone an 88 level.